Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just installed the latest UA app for Android, app version 4.1.66 (decided to take one for the team and no plans to book for the next couple of weeks) -- Expert Mode is till working

What version is the iOS app?
SPN Lifer and EmailKid like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just installed the latest UA app for Android, app version 4.1.66 (decided to take one for the team and no plans to book for the next couple of weeks) -- Expert Mode is till working

Mine is showing 4.1.64 with no new update available in the app store. Currently showing available fare classes once selectin details/seat map.

Also if anyone wants to burn PlusPoints, ORD-MSP flights 2 weeks out has tons of PZ available.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I'm updated to 4.1.64 and expert mode is working fine.

I really don't think the app is the problem, but rather the back-end.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Android wasn't working for me either until I realized I wasn't (fully?) logged in. Try closing and reopening the app then trying to change something about your profile and see if it forces a login.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After all, I ended up deleting the App, shutting down and restarting my iphone. I then downloaded & installed the App again > expertmode is working, at least for now.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
After all, I ended up deleting the App, shutting down and restarting my iphone. I then downloaded & installed the App again > expertmode is working, at least for now.
I just bought a new iPhone, installed the United app - and it's not showing any fare buckets.

Fail to understand this, really...

Anyway, probably returning it - because Android functionality is quite a bit better... (Even though I hate Samsung)
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Went to check into my flight and my app is now forcing the update on iOS. Hopefully that’s not the end of expert mode for me.

Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by threecap
Went to check into my flight and my app is now forcing the update on iOS. Hopefully that’s not the end of expert mode for me.
I'm on the most recent version - 4.1.67 that was released yesterday on iOS 16. Still seeing fare buckets under flight details, so it's not a version of the app issue.

Off topic, but this version looks interesting. Appears hotel/food vouchers will be distributed directly via app now.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold
Angry

I think we're at the point where we need to make this more of a priority for United to fix. Everyone should start calling in and asking for fare buckets on dozens of flights per call. Make the reps complain and complain to IT until it's escalated.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cobrax333
I think we're at the point where we need to make this more of a priority for United to fix. Everyone should start calling in and asking for fare buckets on dozens of flights per call. Make the reps complain and complain to IT until it's escalated.
It works fine on the app. And the reps don't care if you are calling for fare buckets or booking a trip - they get paid nonetheless and I'm skeptical about their ability to log IT tickets or their desire to do so.
SPN Lifer and spartacusmcfly like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:55 pm

(I think IT has other things on their plate that are a higher priority than expert mode on the website)

But, be careful what you wish for. It could just as easily backfire and fast track it for removal of the settings page/no longer displaying in the app. Not that hard to hide the setting and turn into a "we are no longer offering this feature as we replaced the functionality with upgrade space search" and if you ask for fare buckets to direct you to a GDS where they publish that information.

Granted, based on my previous replies, I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't intentionally removed still.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
(I think IT has other things on their plate that are a higher priority than expert mode on the website)

But, be careful what you wish for. It could just as easily backfire and fast track it for removal of the settings page/no longer displaying in the app. Not that hard to hide the setting and turn into a "we are no longer offering this feature as we replaced the functionality with upgrade space search" and if you ask for fare buckets to direct you to a GDS where they publish that information.

Granted, based on my previous replies, I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't intentionally removed still.
+1

Let's not try to call UA. It might backfire.

I'll be content with expert mode search with app.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You do know this is an exceptional feature that is not available for other carriers? This is hardly a required feature to be on par with their competitors.

Sure it is a great feature and we want it back on the web, But there seems to be bigger IT issues at the moment and nuisance calls does not help.
SPN Lifer, chavala, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just use the app.
spartacusmcfly likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post # 340)
[ T]he reps don't care if you are calling for fare buckets or booking a trip - they get paid nonetheless and I'm skeptical about their ability to log IT tickets or their desire to do so.
That comports with my, albeit dated, two-year service as a Reservations Sales Representative (RSR) at UA SFORR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.