Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The reason I dug into the point is because if UA is correctly revalidating married inventory on a multi-city trip where the city stop is fared as a transfer, this is a very new change. The website used to (incorrectly) fail to do this.

It's not a question of simply validating a second time.
I've had trouble figuring out what is and isn't allowed by this background validation at purchase. What is your understanding of the rule? Using P fare as an example for a trip AAA-BBB:

1. AAA-BBB inv. P0: not allowed obviously, and should never be able to get to purchase screen;
2. AAA-CCC-BBB married inv. P0, AAA-CCC inv. P1, CCC-BBB inv. P1: previously allowed de facto, not allowed now?;
3. AAA-CCC-BBB married inv. P1, AAA-CCC inv. P1, CCC-BBB inv. P0: allowed or not?

While I'm not pleased about it, it makes sense to me that a validation was added to block 2. I've had some experiences in which it also appears to block 3, which doesn't make sense to me.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Yep, that's the message.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
I've had trouble figuring out what is and isn't allowed by this background validation at purchase. What is your understanding of the rule? Using P fare as an example for a trip AAA-BBB:

1. AAA-BBB inv. P0: not allowed obviously, and should never be able to get to purchase screen;
2. AAA-CCC-BBB married inv. P0, AAA-CCC inv. P1, CCC-BBB inv. P1: previously allowed de facto, not allowed now?;
3. AAA-CCC-BBB married inv. P1, AAA-CCC inv. P1, CCC-BBB inv. P0: allowed or not?

While I'm not pleased about it, it makes sense to me that a validation was added to block 2. I've had some experiences in which it also appears to block 3, which doesn't make sense to me.
(2) was previously possible if you searched A-C-B as a multi-city trip. I have not directly verified if this changed; it sounds like Kacee is saying you can't do this anymore. I haven't had the motivation to maybe issue a ticket I'm not flying, since you have to click the actual purchase button to see if it works
(3) is perfectly fine, but to find it you need to search A-B and select the option with a transfer in C; if you search multi-city it will price C-B in Z or whatever the lowest available is for that segment
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
(2) was previously possible if you searched A-C-B as a multi-city trip. I have not directly verified if this changed; it sounds like Kacee is saying you can't do this anymore. I haven't had the motivation to maybe issue a ticket I'm not flying, since you have to click the actual purchase button to see if it works
(3) is perfectly fine, but to find it you need to search A-B and select the option with a transfer in C; if you search multi-city it will price C-B in Z or whatever the lowest available is for that segment
Thanks — I remain confused by seemingly being blocked for 3), but if I catch it again I'll have to check with the brain trust here.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
united.com reservations Booking code view

Strange,,, I dont see anymore booking codes on the flight searches anymore.. did the UA Web team take that out? I use to be able to see remaining seats in all the fare class booking code..ie... C,F,D,Y,M,G,W,S,T,L...
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Soundman76
Strange,,, I dont see anymore booking codes on the flight searches anymore.. did the UA Web team take that out? I use to be able to see remaining seats in all the fare class booking code..ie... C,F,D,Y,M,G,W,S,T,L...
It has disappeared from the web, unclear if temporary or not

Most can still see it in their UA phone app (if not check to make sure it is still enabled)
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; AA Plat; Hertz Pres Circle, Hilton Diamond
...doesn't seem to be working on the app anymore either.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by washdcguy
...doesn't seem to be working on the app anymore either.
Still there for my Android. Some iOS users have it come and go. Check you still have it enabled/
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Ya, it's there on the App, but what a pain to use compared to the Desktop
cesco.g and JNelson113 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:32 pm

UA Website

Is anyone else having issues? Expert mode doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2022 at 2:51 pm Reason: Moved to ongoing discussion
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lpro1111
Is anyone else having issues? Expert mode doesn't seem to be working.
It hasn't worked for about 3 weeks on united.com. It still seems to work on the app.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:29 am

Angry

I have gone through the steps to re-enable Expert Mode and nothing is working on my laptop. Is there a fix for this? The mobile works but it's not as convenient.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiingTrader12
I have gone through the steps to re-enable Expert Mode and nothing is working on my laptop. Is there a fix for this? The mobile works but it's not as convenient.
No
Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by SkiingTrader12
Still does not work. It is inconvenient and nobody knows if if this is permanent. Hopefully the mobile stays around.

Welcome to FT.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:27 am

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.