Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Not working on the website again
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k650
Not working on the website again
You might want to check you are logged in and the feature is still enabled

working fine here
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:48 pm

Expert mode in the app saved my upgrade. Without the expert mode I would never know that the flight was PZ4 but my upgrade was still waitlisted.
kevino and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:54 pm

Talking Expert mode is working again on united.com!

I just logged in to united.com and expert mode is working again. It's been working on the app but i find it much more convenient on my laptop. Last time I tried was 6 days ago and it still wasn't working.
cesco.g and kevino like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Fix that worked for me

Problem: Expert mode has not been working for me on the website for a while. The only way it would work was if I did an advanced search and selected "PlusPoints Upgrades" in the "Upgrade Type" section.
Solution: I changed my "Location and currency" option from the top navigation bar and expert mode was magically restored. I then switched it back to the original location and it continued working.

Details: My location and currency on the website frequently changes by itself since my personal address is outside the US, but my corp payment address is in the USA. So depending on some pattern I've yet to figure out, my location defaults to one country or another when I log in. I'm not sure if this frequent switching is the cause of the problem, or if my making the change manually just happened to reset expert mode. I figured this out because I logged in from an anonymous browser window and Expert Mode worked fine. I noticed that my location in that browser was different from that in my usual browser. So I switched location in the usual browser and it worked.

Possible Alternative: Apologies if someone suggested this already, I didn't see it in the threads I looked at. If above doesn't work you may want to try clearing out United.com cookies. The above suggests to me that some cookie is getting corrupted.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Yesterday and today Expert Mode works only some of the time on my Windows laptop. Also seat map often not available on the booking page, but always available on booked flights (My Trip).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Yesterday and today Expert Mode works only some of the time on my Windows laptop. Also seat map often not available on the booking page, but always available on booked flights (My Trip).
Had the same issue yesterday. Buckets disappeared for a bit during my searching, then came back on their own. Didn't log out / change settings / etc.
Seems it is a bit buggy.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:18 pm

All, I'm consistently finding expert mode fare classes displayed. Finding available upgrade space to Europe in April/May 2023 is another topic for sure
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Nothing working for me right now. Not even on mobile app.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
hmm still working for me

Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Originally Posted by leftysauce
hmm still working for me

img
Also for me.

Usual suggestions: clear app data (android) or uninstall reinstall (ios).
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
works for me as well. And it must be correct ... PZ = 0
DJ_Iceman and leoo like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Also working for me, though when I chose a bunch of random dates (until the end of the schedule), I found PZ0 on everything.
leoo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Website not working again?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1k650
Website not working again?
working fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.