Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Expert Mode Gone?

Just checking on some travel for next month and found that I'm no longer able to see fare class buckets when I'm logged in (I'm not currently in the US, don't know if that matters). Is Expert Mode gone from united.com?
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Just checking on some travel for next month and found that I'm no longer able to see fare class buckets when I'm logged in (I'm not currently in the US, don't know if that matters). Is Expert Mode gone from united.com?
Check to see if you need to re-enable it. It got turned off for some in recent months. It is still thete.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nomad420
Same here, just reset mine yesterday, I almost think they don't want you to use it.
I have to re-enable mine multiple times during the same session sometimes. It’s infuriating.
Xyzzy and EWR764 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
It is happening so frequently recently two weeks.

I have to re-enable once every few days!!!

Come on, UA IT.
nnn, EWR764 and dorisrpas like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have to re-enable everytime I have to sign in again
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by limey1K
I have to re-enable mine multiple times during the same session sometimes. It’s infuriating.
I was one of the lucky few who had never experienced it being disabled over the last year+.

Starting this week, I now have the same experience as limey1K. Multiple days this week, multiple times a day, and frequently in the same session. It is indeed infuritating.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:10 am

Where exactly is the Expert Mode checkbox? When I look at the United homepage, I see Advanced Search. I’ve looked around the website, checked my profile and I can’t find it. Like others, I can’t see the fare classes. It stopped working for me a couple of days ago.

Nevermind, I found it.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 17, 2023 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
For anyone else wondering:

View My United >> Settings >> ​​​​​​View All >> Preferences & settings >> Preferences (check box is right above the yellow "Save" button) (halfway down the following cell phone scroll shot):
FLYMSY likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 18, 2023 at 5:58 am
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:33 am

Also, found that my KTN # was missing from my profile, which has been there for years.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and manstein58 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Also, found that my KTN # was missing from my profile, which has been there for years.
same here
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Originally Posted by manstein58
same here
Great - another thing to check on. Haha
Just checked and mine is still there.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
My KTN remains sticky to my account, however, I have been re-enabling Expert Mode consistently. Just adding a supporting data point to recent reports.
nnn and goodeats21 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks to those above who got me to check and indeed my KTN dropped ff of my profile. <sigh> Oh - and expert mode had also dropped off for the third time in as many weeks.
goodeats21 likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 20, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks to those above who got me to check and indeed my KTN dropped ff of my profile. <sigh>
You will eventually notice it at security line when your boarding pass does nt show "Pre-Check."
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You will eventually notice it at security line when your boarding pass does nt show "Pre-Check."
Indeed - I've now also gone back to find all the reservations that my KTN is missing frm ... I discovered mine had dropped off of two reservations and that of Mrs. Xyzzy dropped off of two. Some of those were reservations with two pax where only the KTN of one pax dropped off.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.