Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Did UA just disable 'expert mode'?

was just checking on some upcoming flights and noticed the 'expert mode' listings of bucket options is gone - both on the web site and the app?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Known issue. You need to go back into your profiles and re-enable it.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Angry

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Known issue. You need to go back into your profiles and re-enable it.
This is happening on a daily basis now
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blug
For me too. So annoying.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
For me too. So annoying.
Whenever you purchase a United ticket you need to uncheck the "Save changes to my account" button for each passenger every time. By default this is checked. I've found that expert mode no longer disappears if I uncheck these bxes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Whenever you purchase a United ticket you need to uncheck the "Save changes to my account" button for each passenger every time. By default this is checked. I've found that expert mode no longer disappears if I uncheck these bxes.
wow, i didn't realize this could be causing it. Will look into this, good find!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
For me too. So annoying.
Seriously, though - same here and twice in one day. Even after checking the box again yesterday, I couldn't see the fare classes (on a work fare W but trying to find best way to burn excess +Points (or snag a decent $ amount) between ORD<->FRA). I did buy an intra-EU mileage ticket and "saved to profile" so maybe that was it. All happening around the same time.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
Seriously, though - same here and twice in one day. Even after checking the box again yesterday, I couldn't see the fare classes (on a work fare W but trying to find best way to burn excess +Points (or snag a decent $ amount) between ORD<->FRA). I did buy an intra-EU mileage ticket and "saved to profile" so maybe that was it. All happening around the same time.
Whenever you purchase a ticket on united.com you need to uncheck the "Save changes to my account" button for each passenger every time. Otherwise it resets your Expert mode setting.
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by surram
Whenever you purchase a ticket on united.com you need to uncheck the "Save changes to my account" button for each passenger every time. Otherwise it resets your Expert mode setting.
It's more complicated than that. My expert mode setting sometimes gets turned off just after doing a search for flights, without making any kind of purchase.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingvee
It's more complicated than that. My expert mode setting sometimes gets turned off just after doing a search for flights, without making any kind of purchase.
Agree. Same thing happens to me.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingvee
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Agree. Same thing happens to me.
i've mostly used the app and never really have this issue until i do something on the website.

have you performed any update/manage action to your existing reservations or profile on top of making new res on united.com? Think change flight, add KTN/phone number....

occasionally, when UA releases new updates to the website on i believe Wednesdays (regular/scheduled releases), expert mode would be switched off.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by leftysauce
i've mostly used the app and never really have this issue until i do something on the website.
Yeah, same here. Doing things on the website is much more likely to cause expert mode to be switched off. I once turned it on, did a single search (or maybe two) on the website, and it got turned off again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:35 am

Even though I enabled expert mode (and disabled and enabled it again I am not seeing the booking classes and their availability. Where can I get help?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by quizzi
Even though I enabled expert mode (and disabled and enabled it again I am not seeing the booking classes and their availability. Where can I get help?
I am seeing expert mode data now, so likely something with your system.
Have you tried the usual website fixes: using a different web browsers, clearing caches, etc?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by quizzi
Are you sure you are really logged in? The UA site has some strangeness where one gets partially logged ut at times.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.