Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expert mode turning itself off

I have had Expert Mode enabled forever. But every now and then I notice that the fare class display doesn't show. When I go into my profile, Expert Mode is turned off. Once I turn it back on things work fine again. It seems to happen every few months. Anyone else experience this?
Old May 1, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have had Expert Mode enabled forever. But every now and then I notice that the fare class display doesn't show. When I go into my profile, Expert Mode is turned off. Once I turn it back on things work fine again. It seems to happen every few months. Anyone else experience this?
Has happened to me twice in the last few months including on Sunday. As an added bonus, my known traveler number also disappeared this time.
Old May 3, 2023, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Went to book a trip 5 minutes ago, and had to re-enable Expert Mode. Literally right after booking, I started a search for another trip, and had to re-enable Expert Mode again. It unchecked the setting within the span of 30 seconds.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It’s definitely switching to OFF more than ever lately. Super frustrating but the fix isn’t super bad. :/
Old May 8, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Sorry if I somehow missed this, but I haven't flown nearly the whole calendar year. I am trying to find how to turn on Expert Mode to see available seats in different fare buckets. I had used it relatively extensively and it is somehow no longer on by default in my UA App or on PC. How can I turn it on??

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2023 at 3:14 pm Reason: Moved to master thread
Old May 8, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bballdad175
Sorry if I somehow missed this, but I haven't flow nearly the whole calendar year. I am trying to find how to turn on Expert Mode to see available seats in different fare buckets. I had used it relatively extensively and it is somehow no longer on by default in my UA App or on PC. How can I turn it on??
There has been an ongoing glitch with Expert Mode getting deactivated on many profiles, multiple times.

To get back: When logged into your United Account,
>View My United
>Settings
>Special preferences and accommodations

Scroll down a bit and click the box to re-enable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2023 at 3:14 pm Reason: clean after merge; thanks for the link
Old May 8, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There has been an ongoing glitch with Expert Mode getting deactivated on many profiles, multiple times.

>View My United
>Settings

Scroll down a bit and click the box to re-enable.

More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-back-13.html
I knew it was something easy!!!! But holy smokes did they make that difficult to find. Thanks a bunch.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Despite going into my profile and ensuring that expert mode is enabled, .bomb is not showing me the available fare buckets. Is it just me? This has been three days going now.

Or am I one of the lucky few that has been denied access? If you click on the question mark next to the expert mode radio button it explains that United could decide not to give you access. Maybe the really want my 440 PlusPoints back...
Old May 16, 2023, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by big V
Despite going into my profile and ensuring that expert mode is enabled, .bomb is not showing me the available fare buckets. Is it just me? This has been three days going now.

Or am I one of the lucky few that has been denied access? If you click on the question mark next to the expert mode radio button it explains that United could decide not to give you access. Maybe the really want my 440 PlusPoints back...
Working fine for me. Have you tried different browser, clearing cache, etc?
Old May 16, 2023, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Despite going into my profile and ensuring that expert mode is enabled, .bomb is not showing me the available fare buckets. Is it just me? This has been three days going now.....
You may need to frequently re-enable. It appears no longer sticky

If you click on the question mark next to the expert mode radio button it explains that United could decide not to give you access......
That likely applies to screen scrapers and not individuals
Xyzzy likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Check again. I've had it change itself back shrtly after I turned it on again. Keep an eye on the KTN entry in your profile, too. UA seems to also like to drop that. <sigh>
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by goodeats21
>View My United
>Settings
Very familiar with this process, as I do it personally multiple times a day or even within a session (without logging out). Quite annoying, but I must say my mouse speed completing this task is very high now lol
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Despite going into my profile and ensuring that expert mode is enabled, .bomb is not showing me the available fare buckets. Is it just me?...
I find re-engaging EM does not result in a current booking search showing buckets. Have to start a new search. It's annoying - not as annoying as seeing PZ=0 all the time
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and jcturnbull like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
And I am learning that it only shows ExpertMode if you search for price. If you search with PlusPoint availability, no fare buckets.

So. Very. Painful.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question Expert Mode NOT being sticky...

Hello,
I turn on the Expert Mode under Settings and it works only for that session. The next time I log on, it does NOT appear to stick, and I have to change the settings again.
Help me please...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.