Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
About a week ago the fare buckets stopped displaying for me on the ua.com web browser, so I have been using the UA iPhone app to try to find PZ space for some flights I am thinking of booking. Today my phone has stopped showing them. I checked the account settings & preferences and saw that the expert mode was unchecked (which I certainly did not do) and so I have checked it again and saved it. My phone and computer still will not show the full amount of fare buckets even with expert mode checked. I have logged out and back in on both the browsers and iPhone app

Anyone having similar issues or a solution?
It works for me right now. Have you cleared your cache?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: UA
I just checked and it's working for me on phone and desktop.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
About a week ago the fare buckets stopped displaying for me on the ua.com web browser, so I have been using the UA iPhone app to try to find PZ space for some flights I am thinking of booking. Today my phone has stopped showing them. I checked the account settings & preferences and saw that the expert mode was unchecked (which I certainly did not do) and so I have checked it again and saved it. My phone and computer still will not show the full amount of fare buckets even with expert mode checked. I have logged out and back in on both the browsers and iPhone app

Anyone having similar issues or a solution?
Very likely, OP did not log on account.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It works for me right now. Have you cleared your cache?
Cleared cache with CTRL + F5, still not working

Originally Posted by angetenar
I just checked and it's working for me on phone and desktop.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Very likely, OP did not log on account.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
There was a thread on this a few weeks (months?) ago. Several people, at least, reported that expert mode was getting unchecked for some unknown reason. I was one of them, and I was surprised to find it unchecked (and relieved that it was a simple fix). Like the OP, it wasn't my doing.

(Mind you, the OP's problem appears to go beyond this, since the OP rechecked the Expert setting.)
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lancelot21
There was a thread on this a few weeks (months?) ago. Several people, at least, reported that expert mode was getting unchecked for some unknown reason. I was one of them, and I was surprised to find it unchecked (and relieved that it was a simple fix). Like the OP, it wasn't my doing.

(Mind you, the OP's problem appears to go beyond this, since the OP rechecked the Expert setting.)
My experience, too. Found Expert Mode unchecked a few weeks ago. Went into my profile and rechecked it.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
It is now working on laptop browsers (it did take a few hours after selecting expert mode for it to begin working)

Still not working on phone, maybe it will be back in a week or so
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Current IT/Ticketing issues with UA - 9/24/22

I have been trying to book an itinerary and can't get it to ticket. Finally called in and the 1K agent confirmed there are known IT issues that are being worked on. She was also unable to complete the purchase of the itinerary on her end.
I don't know if it's related or not, but every time I log into the United web site, I am getting the "we don't recognize this device" and have to answer the usual security questions. It's not just me as my S.O. is having the same issues.
So just a "heads up" if you are trying to book a ticket tonight.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Screen shot it! Had same issue last week and scored a last minute change that wouldn't ticket. The agent couldn't get it to take either but honored the ticket price nonetheless after some wrangling.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by telemark27
Screen shot it! Had same issue last week and scored a last minute change that wouldn't ticket. The agent couldn't get it to take either but honored the ticket price nonetheless after some wrangling.
The reservation is showing up in my itineraries, but just as not ticketed. The fare is good until midnight tomorrow, so hopefully things get fixed by then
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:55 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I am having similar issues trying to change a seat assignment. I get "we don't recognize this device" when logging in and my seat assignment remains the same when I try to make a change.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
United app is not showing expert mode seat classes, United.com is, but still asks questions to confirm browser/device. Others having same/similar issues?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Still having the same issues as described by previous posters as of September 25.
Flight showing in My Trips but will not allow payment to be processed.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
United app is not showing expert mode seat classes, United.com is, but still asks questions to confirm browser/device. Others having same/similar issues?
my app is showing the available fare classes currently. iOS
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
my app is showing the available fare classes currently. iOS
Same for me, Actually I don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with fare classes showing..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.