Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat
Seems to have been disabled. If you re-enable and it's still not there, make sure you log out entirely and log back in and it will re-appear.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Everything seems perfectly normal.

Is this your problem? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...et-data-5.html
Nothing about expert mode has been working well for me for a few weeks, especially for flights around the holidays. For example, do a search on Xmas day for one seat on the 8:45 am from EWR to STT. It will show every fare category from M to N (and those in between) =1. Fine. Of course it won't sell any of those low buckets, but I understand that. Now do the same search looking for 3 seats on the same flight. All those numbers change to 3. What is going on? Previously, results didn't change based on the number of seats being searched.

This isn't a one off. I have found it in tons of markets. Maybe it is a browser issue or is this happening to others? Any theories on why this is happening?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc715
Nothing about expert mode has been working well for me for a few weeks, especially for flights around the holidays. For example, do a search on Xmas day for one seat on the 8:45 am from EWR to STT. It will show every fare category from M to N (and those in between) =1. Fine. Of course it won't sell any of those low buckets, but I understand that. Now do the same search looking for 3 seats on the same flight. All those numbers change to 3. What is going on? Previously, results didn't change based on the number of seats being searched.
There was an extensive thread on this recently. It's not anything to do with Expert Mode; it's some sort of weird byproduct of a new continuous pricing scheme UA is working on. The values that change based on the search are essentially phantom. Of course, this makes Expert Mode much less useful...
dkc715 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715

This isn't a one off. I have found it in tons of markets. Maybe it is a browser issue or is this happening to others? Any theories on why this is happening?
Explained here (in the thread jsloan referenced): High fare (class) but low bookings with lower fare published
with ensuring discussion in that thread to avoid this becoming off topic in this thread
jsloan and dkc715 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Expert mode disappeared

sometime during the day today, I can no longer see fare class availability, etc. Did something change?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by avi8tir
sometime during the day today, I can no longer see fare class availability, etc. Did something change?
Enable it again in your profile. There have been recent reports of random disabling.
webmarks likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
For several years, I've been getting detailed flight information when searching for flights, including the number of available seats by fare code. But in recent days, I notice that I'm no longer seeing that when doing searches. I recall there was some way to set up your online profile so that this information was included in any search. But I did that process years ago, and long since forgotten how to do that. Has anyone else also noticed that this detailed information is missing? And if so, is there a way to re-set my profile so I continue to get this detailed information? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Thanks! I just noticed that my "expert mode" had been disabled. So I have now enabled it once again! I can only wonder why United would do this to us. LOL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2022 at 8:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive / updateposts by same member
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by benz37
...And if so, is there a way to re-set my profile so I continue to get this detailed information? ....
Missing?

Go to your Profile / Settings
Special Profile & Accommodations
Look for Enable ExpertMode and check the box (read the circled "?")

Originally Posted by benz37
.... Thanks! I just noticed that my "expert mode" had been disabled. So I have now enabled it once again! I can only wonder why United would do this to us. LOL
This has happened to some but not 100% but greater than 0%
webmarks and benz37 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2022 at 8:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Two days after re-enabling it, Expert Mode was disabled again. Had to go in to settings this morning to re-re-enable it.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Hyatt Something-ist, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Disabled for me too; had to fully log-out to get it back.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My guess is they are deliberately removing it without actually removing it - pretty much every customer who isn't a party to this discussion will just see the feature gone and assume it's been disabled.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
My guess is they are deliberately removing it without actually removing it - pretty much every customer who isn't a party to this discussion will just see the feature gone and assume it's been disabled.
Given the number of reports would suggest many / most have had no issues. Has not happen to the accounts I watch.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
It was disabled randomly for me as well twice in the past two months but I have no issue since then.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I’ve had it disable for me twice in about 6 months. Still can’t get it reactivated on my app.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Expert Mode / Fare Buckets not working

About a week ago the fare buckets stopped displaying for me on the ua.com web browser, so I have been using the UA iPhone app to try to find PZ space for some flights I am thinking of booking. Today my phone has stopped showing them. I checked the account settings & preferences and saw that the expert mode was unchecked (which I certainly did not do) and so I have checked it again and saved it. My phone and computer still will not show the full amount of fare buckets even with expert mode checked. I have logged out and back in on both the browsers and iPhone app

Anyone having similar issues or a solution?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.