Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

High fare (class) but low bookings with lower fare published

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

High fare (class) but low bookings with lower fare published

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by fumje
but I also can't think of what other purpose it serves.
Avoiding oversales of the business cabin when a flight cancels or is significantly delayed.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Avoiding oversales of the business cabin when a flight cancels or is significantly delayed.
Why do it for only heavily sold flights, then? Seems that it would be better to do it for the flights with lighter loads, but I have not seen it happen on any flight with C>0. (Of course, if the flight is really lightly loaded, it's indeterminate, since the display is capped at J9.)
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fumje
Why do it for only heavily sold flights, then? Seems that it would be better to do it for the flights with lighter loads, but I have not seen it happen on any flight with C>0. (Of course, if the flight is really lightly loaded, it's indeterminate, since the display is capped at J9.)
I was trying to buy 2 tickets on a recent flight, where it was J9, C9, but I could only buy 1 ticket at the C price (even though the display said, "3 available at this price"). The next ticket went straight to into J.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I was trying to buy 2 tickets on a recent flight, where it was J9, C9, but I could only buy 1 ticket at the C price (even though the display said, "3 available at this price"). The next ticket went straight to into J.
There can be issues about stale inventory, clearly there was a disconnect in the reporting. Did you check the inventory after purchase?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There can be issues about stale inventory, clearly there was a disconnect in the reporting. Did you check the inventory after purchase?
When I called Tech Support, they told me the same as you, i.e. inventory had changed between the time I started booking and finished. That sounded fishy to me, but who am I to say that it's not true? I didn't book on the first go-round because the price was so outrageous. Two days later, more C opened and I was able to book two tickets. I didn't check inventory post-booking but I certainly will in the future in the hopes of better understanding what is going on.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
When I called Tech Support, they told me the same as you, i.e. inventory had changed between the time I started booking and finished. That sounded fishy to me, but who am I to say that it's not true? I didn't check inventory post-booking but I certainly will in the future in the hopes of better understanding what is going on.
It sounds completely reasonable to me. The only way that you would have been able to buy one ticket in C and one in J is if they were on separate PNRs. One of the times that we're pretty sure Revenue Management runs inventory is immediately after a ticket is sold.

By buying one ticket in C, you probably pushed the RM system to think that sales were doing better than expected and it therefore re-calculated availability, either by zeroing out C or by zeroing out the economy fare class that's linked to C for differential pricing purposes.
SPN Lifer, zombietooth and findark like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It sounds completely reasonable to me. The only way that you would have been able to buy one ticket in C and one in J is if they were on separate PNRs. One of the times that we're pretty sure Revenue Management runs inventory is immediately after a ticket is sold.

By buying one ticket in C, you probably pushed the RM system to think that sales were doing better than expected and it therefore re-calculated availability, either by zeroing out C or by zeroing out the economy fare class that's linked to C for differential pricing purposes.
This makes sense because, after I hung up, I just cancelled the first ticket and waited a couple of days, finally getting 2 in C.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.