Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
Are the fare bucket displayed in iOS correct?

Looking at LAS-EWR fare KAA2AWDN. Seeming plenty of flights with K4 but website showing higher fares such as Q and L for some flights and N for others while the inventory for almost all flights shows K4 and N4 for Nov 12.
At least potential issues could be at play
first, the fare rules are not being meet for the K fare Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

and there are strange things that are happening in pricing and fare class display (prior to the Expert Mode issue)
United Continuous Pricing Pilot (?) are you search for 4 tickets?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At least potential issues could be at play
first, the fare rules are not being meet for the K fare Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

and there are strange things that are happening in pricing and fare class display (prior to the Expert Mode issue)
United Continuous Pricing Pilot (?) are you search for 4 tickets?
Fares rules should be met AFAIK. No time/flight restrictions. Only date restrictions (not applicable in late November); fare is valid for Nov 12. Actually for my set of desired flights, it prices with that fare if 2 passengers but not for 3 passengers despite K4 being displayed in iOS.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:50 pm

Fares rules should be met AFAIK. No time/flight restrictions. Only date restrictions (not applicable in late November); fare is valid for Nov 12. Actually for my set of desired flights, it prices with that fare if 2 passengers but not for 3 passengers despite K4 being displayed in iOS.
Based on the second part of WineCountry's post, due to the continuous pricing implementation - K4 in iOS "expert mode" display doesn't necessarily mean there is true 4 seats of K availability and you need to look at the flight in a GDS (or provide the specific flight/date you're looking at and others can look for you) to see the true inventory allocations. Due to continuous pricing UA's system might be willing to overbook the K class and sell a continuous priced fare for 4 people at a price differential above the actual K fare filling (which is why it is showing K4), but if you're only getting the actual fare filing/price when you search for a max of 2 people it is likely the actual booking inventory is K2. Again, there are plenty of people who could check this, but would need to know the specific flight/date in question, otherwise we're just guessing at the actual cause based on the limited information we have.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Based on the second part of WineCountry's post, due to the continuous pricing implementation - K4 in iOS "expert mode" display doesn't necessarily mean there is true 4 seats of K availability and you need to look at the flight in a GDS (or provide the specific flight/date you're looking at and others can look for you) to see the true inventory allocations. Due to continuous pricing UA's system might be willing to overbook the K class and sell a continuous priced fare for 4 people at a price differential above the actual K fare filling (which is why it is showing K4), but if you're only getting the actual fare filing/price when you search for a max of 2 people it is likely the actual booking inventory is K2. Again, there are plenty of people who could check this, but would need to know the specific flight/date in question, otherwise we're just guessing at the actual cause based on the limited information we have.
Thanks. Would a subscription to ExpertFlyer show true inventory?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:17 pm

Thanks. Would a subscription to ExpertFlyer show true inventory?
Yes as it gets its info via GDS
seawolf likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: United Airlines
I am a 1K and trying to qualify for the same next year. However, after going thru all the forums, I still cant figure out what the "Expert Mode" is important.

I have 700 plus points and all of them are getting wasted as I don't see any upgrade availability on any of my searches (esp. for transcontinental flights).

How will expert mode help? Are you saying if the "plus point u[upgrade" option during booking is saying waitlist/unavailable, there is still a way to get upgrades by looking at expert option?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HGFNJ
I am a 1K and trying to qualify for the same next year. However, after going thru all the forums, I still cant figure out what the "Expert Mode" is important.

I have 700 plus points and all of them are getting wasted as I don't see any upgrade availability on any of my searches (esp. for transcontinental flights).

How will expert mode help? Are you saying if the "plus point u[upgrade" option during booking is saying waitlist/unavailable, there is still a way to get upgrades by looking at expert option?
some of us do not have any pluspoints...
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It tells you the rest of the inventory, not only yes/no for pz (upgrade space). If you see j5c0, flatly no chance. If you see pn9pz0, might get it. Then if you are picking which flight to book, and one shows the first case and the other the second, which do you pick?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I still cant figure out what the "Expert Mode" is important.

How will expert mode help?...
Folks use Expert Mode to find flight more likely to clear -- not a perfect assessment but may increase your selection odds. Exactly how is discussed in [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

The thought is UA reveals in its inventory decisions if UA thinks the flight will sell out or if there is a chance upgrades could clear.
If only J or C, chances are poor but if Z/P/PN are available, your chances are better -- see the above thread for more discussion on specific cases.
SPN Lifer and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: United Airlines
Ok. This is helpful. So, the system is accurately showing me a waitlist but chances are higher for plus point upgrade, if many are available.
For e.g. I am looking at an option from EWR to Milan. I see the following:
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O9, ON9, A9, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0
Per you message, due to P9, do I have higher change of getting cleared? The flight shows only 2 out of the 40 seats booked and all are open but cant get guranteed plus point upgrade. Kind of annoying that inspite of having so many, I can never use them.

Thanks,
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:03 pm

Ok. This is helpful. So, the system is accurately showing me a waitlist but chances are higher for plus point upgrade, if many are available.
For e.g. I am looking at an option from EWR to Milan. I see the following:
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O9, ON9, A9, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0
Per you message, due to P9, do I have higher change of getting cleared? The flight shows only 2 out of the 40 seats booked and all are open but cant get guranteed plus point upgrade. Kind of annoying that inspite of having so many, I can never use them.

Thanks,
Yes in theory. If the flight is P9, it means UA is willing to sell deeply discounted J seats to try and get the cabin filled with paid passengers. If they aren't able to get people to buy deeply discounted tickets then increases the chance seats will go out empty. Comparatively to when a flight is PCDZ 0 then that would inidcate they expect the demand to be at a spot that they don't even need to discount the fare to get paid passengers in seats.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Everyone has or can get miles.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

I have used all my PP. Only 40 left.

I don't have enough of them.....

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
You can upgrade using miles plus possibly co-pay.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kb1992
You can upgrade using miles plus possibly co-pay.
And vouchers/certs
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Is that the reason I can't currently see Expert Mode on the UA site? It would seem somewhat logical to affect that access early since it really isn't an operational requirement.

As a soon-to-be former GS that was a casualty of the pandemic, I'm looking to maximize my exit into being a general member. My new employer all of sudden wants me to travel domestically like crazy, and that seems like a great opportunity to burn down my points and status.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2022 at 6:27 pm Reason: moved to subject thread -- cleanup after move

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.