FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:03 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by HGFNJ
Ok. This is helpful. So, the system is accurately showing me a waitlist but chances are higher for plus point upgrade, if many are available.
For e.g. I am looking at an option from EWR to Milan. I see the following:
  • J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O9, ON9, A9, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0
Per you message, due to P9, do I have higher change of getting cleared? The flight shows only 2 out of the 40 seats booked and all are open but cant get guranteed plus point upgrade. Kind of annoying that inspite of having so many, I can never use them.

Thanks,
Yes in theory. If the flight is P9, it means UA is willing to sell deeply discounted J seats to try and get the cabin filled with paid passengers. If they aren't able to get people to buy deeply discounted tickets then increases the chance seats will go out empty. Comparatively to when a flight is PCDZ 0 then that would inidcate they expect the demand to be at a spot that they don't even need to discount the fare to get paid passengers in seats.