Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Applying RPU on parent's ticket within 24 hours

Hi folks,
Looking for some clarity on an issue I'm running into. My parents are flying a domestic segment tomorrow and they have no status. I thought I would surprise them by applying an RPU to have them upgraded because I see there are seats available (albeit no R space right now). However, there are no customers waiting for upgrade and it shows 10/12 booked.

I called the 1K desk and was told that RPUs cannot be applied within 24 hours and there was no way for me to upgrade them. I got the explanation about 2 different systems within 24 hours (reservations and airport), which I understand. But it seems odd that my RPU could not be applied to weight list them.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by qwicker
Hi folks,
Looking for some clarity on an issue I'm running into. My parents are flying a domestic segment tomorrow and they have no status. I thought I would surprise them by applying an RPU to have them upgraded because I see there are seats available (albeit no R space right now). However, there are no customers waiting for upgrade and it shows 10/12 booked.

I called the 1K desk and was told that RPUs cannot be applied within 24 hours and there was no way for me to upgrade them. I got the explanation about 2 different systems within 24 hours (reservations and airport), which I understand. But it seems odd that my RPU could not be applied to weight list them.

Any thoughts?
I was able to call and did GPU upgrade within the 24-hour window. May be hang up and call again?

For me R was available though so may be that is the difference!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Correct. Rules say no waitlisted instrument upgrades within 24 hours of departure. Here is the specific rule:
New waitlist requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades, and Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
Occasionally agents will bend the rule.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lax2010
I was able to call and did GPU upgrade within the 24-hour window. May be hang up and call again?
Agreed.
I've booked flights within the 24 hour before and there is no way to apply a GPU/RPU without calling (that I know of).
Originally Posted by lax2010
For me R was available though so may be that is the difference!
If there is no space, the agent should still be able to put the parents on the upgrade list. OP's parents might not clear but the agent should be able to add them.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If R is not available: may not waitlist new upgrade at T-24. It is technically possible for an agent to waitlist you within T-24 with an instrument but policy says no and it's technically challenging.

If R is available: may immediately confirm new upgrade at T-24. Usually may call and confirm an instrument-waitlisted upgrade by calling, occasionally agents and FlyerTalk posters will chide you for 'queue skipping'.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
However, there are no customers waiting for upgrade and it shows 10/12 booked.
If you're basing this on the upgrade standby list on the flight status page, keep in mind that there may in fact be customers waiting for an upgrade, but haven't yet checked in.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Thanks folks. R is definitely not available at this time so I suppose the rule is no instrument upgrades at T-24. I was hoping to still have an agent put them on the wait list because there are definitely 2 seats available and no one currently showing up the upgrade list (who hasn't already cleared) and it's T-14 hours.

Oh well, I'll check tomorrow if R opened and try again. If not, so be it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
I have applied a RPU (from a 1K) for BOS-SFO on a Monday 7AM departure in June. Any idea on the odds clearing...50/50?
FYI- upgrade cleared 12 days prior to the trip on a L class fare.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by mherdeg
If R is not available: may not waitlist new upgrade at T-24. It is technically possible for an agent to waitlist you within T-24 with an instrument but policy says no and it's technically challenging.

If R is available: may immediately confirm new upgrade at T-24. Usually may call and confirm an instrument-waitlisted upgrade by calling, occasionally agents and FlyerTalk posters will chide you for 'queue skipping'.
+1. This is consistent with my experience. If the agent cites the (correct) policy that they are unable to apply RPU/GPU, HUACA. You will find someone who will do so.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Right now I have a confirmed Y to F RPU flight but I want to change to a different day that also has the R space.
If I make the flight change can I roll over that same RPU or does it get re-deposited? I have 1 additional RPU in my account that I could use immediately if need be if there is a lag between the flight change and original RPU deposit/roll over?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Right now I have a confirmed Y to F RPU flight but I want to change to a different day that also has the R space.
If I make the flight change can I roll over that same RPU or does it get re-deposited? I have 1 additional RPU in my account that I could use immediately if need be if there is a lag between the flight change and original RPU deposit/roll over?
They will redeposit and then pull it immediately for the new flight. A good agent can do this painlessly. A not so good agent, and you will spend quite a while on hold.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:10 pm

Which segment to RPU?

I want to use 1 RPU that I have left on my upcoming flight to GUM; SAN-LAX-HNL-GUM and GUM-NRT-DEN-SAN. The flights are in July.

My initial thought is to use it for SAN-LAX, LAX-HNL, but these segments have more than 9 seats available for upgrade. On the other hand, GUM-NRT, DEN-SAN are quite full (waitlist only and 2 available).

Should I use RPU on the return flight to lock in DEN-SAN upgrade and hope for CPU for LAX-HNL?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:37 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
How would you feel if you don't get the CPU on LAX-HNL? It's a 5 1/2 hour flight vs 2 1/2 hour. Or you could look at when would you value the extra space more, on the outbound or on the return?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by RandD
I want to use 1 RPU that I have left on my upcoming flight to GUM; SAN-LAX-HNL-GUM and GUM-NRT-DEN-SAN. The flights are in July.

My initial thought is to use it for SAN-LAX, LAX-HNL, but these segments have more than 9 seats available for upgrade. On the other hand, GUM-NRT, DEN-SAN are quite full (waitlist only and 2 available).

Should I use RPU on the return flight to lock in DEN-SAN upgrade and hope for CPU for LAX-HNL?
DEN-SAN is a terrible use of an RPU. 2:20 flight.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:44 pm

I agree that RPU for DEN-SAN is not a good value, but I will also waitlist for GUM-NRT with that RPU. Is RPU chance for GUM-NRT very low?

It seems to me that it is likely to get CPU for LAX-HNL so I will just take a chance on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.