Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swimmer_1
... . I guess 40+ people decided to use Global upgrade on this flight. It is possible but I find it hard to believe.
No difference in priority between GPU/RPU/miles. Is this IAD? The home of the Y government fare which is higher priority than RPUs. So likely you have GS and YBM fares all ahead of you -- with many Y government flyers. I find as an 1K, it is a tough upgrade to/from IAD with RPU.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No difference in priority between GPU/RPU/miles. Is this IAD? The home of the Y government fare which is higher priority than RPUs. So likely you have GS and YBM fares all ahead of you -- with many Y government flyers. I find as an 1K, it is a tough upgrade to/from IAD with RPU.
Yeah IAD. I am glad it is a big plane more reasonable for 7 hours than single isle. But this is a cluster here.

Again I do think the earned reward should have priority. Of course if you buy business, you bought business or first understood!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, for purposes of this particular upgrade, that is exactly what you want to see.

You should read this thread for details on how to make this upgrade happen: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic
Thanks again. The other hang up that I got from UA 1k desk is that it's operated by Privatair (LH 591). From my searches I didn't see if those can indeed not be upgraded with a gpu or miles. Do you/anybody know? Obviously if not, I want to reduce the fair from B to cheaper fare.

edit for future people searching: Just talked with the second agent tonight on this and they called LH to also confirm. It is not upgradeable since it is not operated by LH. And from ua.com I now see (missed it before): "Global Premier Upgrades on Lufthansa-operated flights are valid for one-segment, one-cabin upgrades on any multi-cabin international flight operated by Lufthansa."

Last edited by GreekDeno; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GreekDeno
Thanks again. The other hang up that I got from UA 1k desk is that it's operated by Privatair (LH 591). From my searches I didn't see if those can indeed not be upgraded with a gpu or miles. Do you/anybody know? Obviously if not, I want to reduce the fair from B to cheaper fare.
The minimum fare to redeem a GPU on LH is Q, not B.

I don't know about Privatair. The rules say "Lufthansa operated flight."
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I searched but could not find this. Can a single GPU be used across two separate UA tickets if the other conditions are met? I am flying NRT-LAX on one ticket and LAX-IAH on a different one with a 2 hour layover in LAX
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by expressboy
I searched but could not find this. Can a single GPU be used across two separate UA tickets if the other conditions are met? I am flying NRT-LAX on one ticket and LAX-IAH on a different one with a 2 hour layover in LAX
In my experience, you cannot. You can always call in and try. Sometimes it seems like a very motivated agent can do anything.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The minimum fare to redeem a GPU on LH is Q, not B.

I don't know about Privatair. The rules say "Lufthansa operated flight."
Privatair should work. Kind of a wet lease, not a codeshare.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just a random data point... when an agent is not involved and its just the computer...
Used a single GPU on BAH->IAD->LAX->SYD for Y->C and everything cleared and no one stopped me at any point
Max layover of 6 hours in any city
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Just a random data point... when an agent is not involved and its just the computer...
Used a single GPU on BAH->IAD->LAX->SYD for Y->C and everything cleared and no one stopped me at any point
Max layover of 6 hours in any city
you should be able to use a single GPU on this and no one will stop you.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Trying to book a ticket to BoM and there is R space available on the IAD -DXB flight. The only problem is that UA seems to have filed a S fare on this route that connects with an AI L fare. Can I buy this S fare and have the agent up fare it to W? Or the married segment logic would not allow me to do so. They definitely have filed W and V fares, but I have a feeling that because of the AI flight, they won't let it happen. Any ideas, suggestions?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by cfischer
you should be able to use a single GPU on this and no one will stop you.
I didn't think you were supposed to be able to use a single GPU across both main oceans
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I didn't think you were supposed to be able to use a single GPU across both main oceans
Never have been aware of such a limitation (no known limitation of number of segments).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A rhetorical question: will my waitlisted segments ever clear?

For some of the first non-paid-F I've booked for the year, I have the following all waitlisted with GPUs or RPUs:
  • ITO-LAX-IAD (Monday redeye / Tuesday a.m. flights)
  • IAD-LAS-IAD (Friday and Monday flights)
  • POS-IAH-IAD (Monday flights)

Just a general gripe that there wasn't any R on or around these dates, and that they still haven't cleared. Should have booked the POS-IAH-IAD in paid P when it was available, I guess.

Last edited by exerda; Oct 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
Is it worth buying up to W for this fare to be waitlisted? (It's showing R0 for W and V)

PEK - EWR (Sunday)
MEX - PEK (Wed)

It would be a $500 difference to buy up to W. Ive never use a GPU before so any advice or votes of confidence is greatly appreciated
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I've been surprised at how infrequently my DEN-ORD/EWR leg of TATLs clear with a GPU.

I thought GPUs came in above CPUs and RPUs in order of precedence and that I'd get at least that upgrade, but I only get a GPU to clear on the return XXX-DEN leg- and this is usually only on my returns if they are on a Saturday.

I know these are inherently hub-hub flights, but as a 1K, on a GPU capable fare, I would think putting a GPU on there would be a pretty high hit rate. Plus, these are usually booked 8+ weeks out, so there should be a chance at any R clearance ahead of time.

What trumps (besides fares) a 1K GPU? A GS GPU (which they should be buying business/first for TATL/TPACs, or else they would be 1Ks. Are there no R available ahead of time due to hub-hub flights and people buying last minute Y,B,M fares so that even a silver would trump me?

I've done pretty well with GPUs, but the domestic legs have been an eye opener as to why CPUs never clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.