Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I suspect this has been asked and answered before but it’s a bit cumbersome to search a 1500 post thread so please forgive me. What is the latest (least amount of time prior to flight) one can (attempt to ) apply a GPU or a RPU to an itinerary? Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
... What is the latest (least amount of time prior to flight) one can (attempt to ) apply a GPU or a RPU to an itinerary? Thank you.
If R>0, anytime (practice limit is probably 1 hr or so), if R=0 T-24 is the cutoff (no new waitlisting at that point).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
If I got confirmed using my RPU but I remove it the R would be there for me as 1k assuming no one else is wait listed using RPU
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Applying GPU to another person's reservation? Can it be done?

I have 3 GPU and some RPU that are expiring. I want to gift them to a relative who is flying internationally and domestically (for the RPU). Can I apply them to an existing reservation if it's in the correct fare class? Or do I need to make the reservation and apply the GPU? Can the relative upgrade the current reservation to the correct fare class and then let me apply the GPU?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tenniscan
I have 3 GPU and some RPU that are expiring. I want to gift them to a relative who is flying internationally and domestically (for the RPU). Can I apply them to an existing reservation if it's in the correct fare class? Or do I need to make the reservation and apply the GPU? Can the relative upgrade the current reservation to the correct fare class and then let me apply the GPU?
Yes, this is very easy. Just log into your MP account, then pull up their itinerary using the PNR and last name on the reservation. You should be able to apply the instruments right there.

Originally Posted by JC1976
If I got confirmed using my RPU but I remove it the R would be there for me as 1k assuming no one else is wait listed using RPU
No, you really cannot count on that. In many instances, the upgrade space will not return to R inventory, particularly if the cabin has filled since the upgrade cleared.

Also, you need original fare bucket availability to remove the upgrade.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Has anyone who has expiring Jan 2016 GPUs and has requalified for 1k requested for the 2 GPU extension till Apr 2016?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I have a trip planned to BOM in January. I need to fly back on the 23rd, but as long as I get there from Sun-Tuesday, it doesn't matter as much.

I've always just taken the BOM-EWR flight, but I'm open to other routes as long as I can get there in BF with one GPU. I looked at booking the flight and used the reward finder on UA.com. I see the calendar and it has green for the dates I want, which corresponds to:

Saver Award Economy & premium cabin

But I don't see any premium cabin awards offered.

Class inventory listed as:

J9JN9C9D0Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V 9W9S9T9L9K0G0N0XN0X0

Liars?

I'm really getting tired of the GPU lottery and if I can't book the trip with confirmed upgrades with my GPUs, I'm just going to tell my boss to send someone else.

Why the disconnect between the green calendar and the actual offers. Any thoughts on how to book the trip (I'd actually start in DEN, but I was was mainly interested in the TATL leg.)

That EWR-BOM route is bearable if you can get the upgrade. Y used to not fill up, but even it is crowded/full, so that isn't really an option for me anymore.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I've always just taken the BOM-EWR flight, but I'm open to other routes as long as I can get there in BF with one GPU. I looked at booking the flight and used the reward finder on UA.com. I see the calendar and it has green for the dates I want, which corresponds to:

Saver Award Economy & premium cabin

But I don't see any premium cabin awards offered.
Why are you looking at saver awards if you're trying to use a GPU? The one has nothing to do with the other.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why are you looking at saver awards if you're trying to use a GPU? The one has nothing to do with the other.
I thought saver business awards were a proxy for R inventory? Not direct, but since United won't let you search for R inventory, and the new websites search for GPU fares crashes most times I use it and gives incomplete answers the other times.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:15 am

I thought saver business awards were a proxy for R inventory?
No, not at all. You will probably miss something like 90% of upgrade space searching that way. R9 I0 is extremely common.

but since United won't let you search for R inventory
Look for R using expert mode.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:47 am

I've never found R inventory open at time of booking for any TATL/TPAC flight over the last 18 months of looking for about 7 trips.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:16 am

I've never found R inventory open at time of booking for any TATL/TPAC flight over the last 18 months of looking for about 7 trips.
Then you are not searching correctly. I've burned at least 10 GPUs TPAC over the past 18 months. TPAC R was wide open all summer. It's tightened the last month or so.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Be a little flexible. I booked last week over Xmas to EWR-AMS returning BRU-EWR. Instant...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That hasn't been my experience.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'm new to the RPU game as an AC member, so this may be a bit basic. If you have a 2-segment itinerary where the upgrade is important on the longer segment, but not the shorter segment, are you able to request the upgrade on the longer segment, and then request the RPU on the shorter segment if the RPU clears on the longer segment?

Traveling YYC-SFO-HNL in January. I don't want to spend an RPU on just the YYC-SFO segment as it's a short segment on UA Express, so was hoping to request the SFO-HNL segment and then add the shorter segment if it clears or the chances look good. Is this possible with RPU's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.