Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SiPi
Hi, wondering wether the status of the GPU sponsor has any bearing on the clearance priority on the waitlist?
For instance, a non premier member travelling, would he have any better chances of clearing when GPU was sponsored by a GS relative vs. 1K?
yes it does. GS GPU will clear into PN and 1K GPU will clear into R, irrespective of the status of the traveler.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
yes it does. GS GPU will clear into PN and 1K GPU will clear into R, irrespective of the status of the traveler.
Thanks, so to clarify, if there is open PN space currently (nor R though) can a GS member clear me for business now? (Flight is late Jan)
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Thanks, so to clarify, if there is open PN space currently (nor R though) can a GS member clear me for business now? (Flight is late Jan)
Yes, a GS-sponsored instrument would clear you immediately.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Yes
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:22 pm

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Yes, a GS-sponsored instrument would clear you immediately.
Is that true for international travel as well? Someone had mentioned PN fare is only for domestic? Enlighten anyone?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is that true for international travel as well? ...
yes -- on International flights GS instruments clear into PN

...Someone had mentioned PN fare is only for domestic? ...
Likely a different topic, Instant Upgrades, which are only on CPU routes.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes -- on International flights GS instruments clear into PN

Likely a different topic, Instant Upgrades, which are only on CPU routes.
Sorry I'm confused, are they misinformed or was I misunderstanding it? Internationl flight, has open PN space, will GPU upgrade clear immediately if GS sponsors it?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ranok
Perhaps I was unclear: I had 2 RPUs expiring 1/2016, used two in 2015, reached Plat for two more RPUs (actually 1K, but those RPUs/GPUs haven't hit yet), now I have two RPUs, one expiring this month, and another next year. I would have assumed that redeeming RPU would use the oldest (i.e., closest to expiring) before one of the new ones.
Yes, they are applied in age order but once it is applied, that specific instrument stays with the reservation. If you book another flight earlier and apply an instrument, it will take the next available instrument in expiry order even though the flight may be earlier than the other one.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:29 pm

Ok thanks didn't see both responses.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:00 am

So what gives?
As per comments and responses above pax were supposed to clear instantly, since there's sufficient pn space for both passengers on the outbound, GPU was applied however and no clearance, just added to waitlist.

Here's current fare inventory.
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Melbourne, VIC, AU (MEL - Tullamarine)
UA 98 | Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Depart LAX: Tue, Jan 19
Arrive MEL: Thu, Jan 21
Red-eye flight
Available fare classes:J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN3R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9 H9HN9Q9V9W6S4T0L0K0G0N0XN0X0

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So what gives?
Yes, should have cleared into PN. Can your sponsor call GS and ask what's going on?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, should have cleared into PN. Can your sponsor call GS and ask what's going on?
I have often needed agent intervention to get it to clear completely
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:37 pm

So how did you present your case? What's a valid, convincing chip? The GS who sponsored me claimed to have called and was told PN only clears instantly for domestic...

And were you able to push through the upgrade even when applied to a non (UA) premier friend?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:45 pm

So how did you present your case? What's a valid, convincing chip? The GS who sponsored me claimed to have called and was told PN only clears instantly for domestic...

And were you able to push through the upgrade even when applied to a non (UA) premier friend?
Then it may sit in waitlist state until the next sweep depending on how far out the flight is...

My situations were different, it was domestic and would clear the waitlist on the sweep but put the reservation into the !!Call united... state so I would have to call to complete the clearing. Happens to me about 80+% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.