Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
They need to be used by the expiration date.

In the past, UA has granted extensions to expiration dates.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
They need to be used by the expiration date.

In the past, UA has granted extensions to expiration dates.
Thank you, much appreciated!^
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator note

Have moved the discussion on extending unused GPUs to the existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-extended.html -- since it is an annual topic and tends to get a lot of traffic, it best to separate it from this general GPU question thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Instant (Y/B/M) upgrades come before instruments. A silver on a B fare beats a 1K using a RPU or GPU.
Ah, ok. That actually makes sense. If someone purchases a fare that can be eligible for an instant upgrade but instant upgrade space isn't available then will that be reflected in their position on the waitlist? Or are instant upgrades processed separately?

Thanks for the clarifications and sorry for the misinfo.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by blackllotus
Ah, ok. That actually makes sense. If someone purchases a fare that can be eligible for an instant upgrade but instant upgrade space isn't available then will that be reflected in their position on the waitlist? Or are instant upgrades processed separately?
It's published:
The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class, then Premier status
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then time of request
  • All remaining Premier members using Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel
Theoretically, these are all processed off the EUA beginning at T-120 and until the flight goes to the gate, at which point the list transfers to the published gate standby list which you can see on "flight status."

Note that the description of award ticket handling is somewhat misleading, as those are actually prioritized by Premier status (i.e., 1K award CPUs are processed before any Plat CPUs) rather than at the bottom of the list.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 29, 2015 at 2:33 am
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
A buddy of mine and I are flying PIT-IAD-LHR 9 MAR 16 (UA122) on K fares. Assuming I complete my booked travel before EOY and hit 1K, what's the process of buying up to W to apply GPUs? Right now it's showing R=0 so it might be moot but I'd like to be able to track just in case. Also, is it possible to buy up to W on just the int'l legs?

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
A buddy of mine and I are flying PIT-IAD-LHR 9 MAR 16 (UA122) on K fares. Assuming I complete my booked travel before EOY and hit 1K, what's the process of buying up to W to apply GPUs? Right now it's showing R=0 so it might be moot but I'd like to be able to track just in case. Also, is it possible to buy up to W on just the int'l legs?

Thanks!
Buying up to W fares will involve a change fee even for 1Ks. Buy a W on only the international segment may or may not be cheaper than upfaring the entire direction -- you need to ask for both options. Depends on the fare rules and fare combinability.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I cannot find the answer in searching.

Booked a flight in B on UA with one segment on LH. Requested upgrade with gpu and am waitlisted. Looking at expertflyer they show:
J9 C8 D7 Z1 P0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T6 L0 K0

So question is what does UA B upgrade to at LH? J, C, D, Z, or P?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GreekDeno
So question is what does UA B upgrade to at LH? J, C, D, Z, or P?
None of the above.

Are you saying you have a UA issued ticket and you're trying to upgrade an LH operated segment with a GPU? If available, that upgrade will book into I.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
None of the above.

Are you saying you have a UA issued ticket and you're trying to upgrade an LH operated segment with a GPU? If available, that upgrade will book into I.
Yes, I have a UA ticket and trying to upgrade LH w/ GPU. Thank you for clarifying it upgrades to I. Does expertflyer not show I's or am I looking at it wrong? Can I search further or just wait since LH doesn't publish I availability?

ANA tool shows "OK" for that flight for award availability which I know is not the exact same as upgrade availability.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by GreekDeno
ANA tool shows "OK" for that flight for award availability which I know is not the exact same as upgrade availability.
Actually, for purposes of this particular upgrade, that is exactly what you want to see.

You should read this thread for details on how to make this upgrade happen: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:53 pm

Premier Regional Updates are a complete joke

I am little frustrated that. They do not count for {anything} Anyone with few more miles gets CPU, so why to give them out at all? They do not really change your order in the upgrade Q.

Am I wrong about his?

I guess global still has some weight but that is eroding too.

It used to be a currency. Meaning it was a reward and you got to use it when you wanted to. You would go to the front of Q because they are limited number of them, and you have to earn them over time.

Very sad. May as well go back to Virgin America since it seems like I have to pay for first anyways. By the way about 50% of my tickets are purchased in first class fare straight out. But some have rediculous prices.

Am I wrong about this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2015 at 3:12 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
RPU's are near the top of the list. after YBM fares

See: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

The following is the order of priority, within five days, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares: Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class, then Premier status
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then time of request
  • All remaining Premier members using Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel
Try to book a flight with R>0 and then you can upgrade at booking

Last edited by eng3; Oct 1, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by eng3

See: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
........! 40 empty seats in business. 1K PRU number 67
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by eng3

Try to book a flight with R>0 and then you can upgrade at booking

I understand what is written down! I call it a lie. First it is impossible to find that r>0 but my expirince is different. 8 1st class, 40 business seats all were empty at booing and I am 67 with RPU even with the fact that 8 ware moved to fist. And I got the fare as upgradable +RPU at the time of booking with complexity empty plane. But instead of confirmation was put on wait list. I guess 40+ people decided to use Global upgrade on this flight. It is possible but I find it hard to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.