Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClaraM
Can I apply my GS RPU/GPU to someone else's XN ticket (where ticket was "purchased" using their RDMs, not mine)?
I don't know the direct answer to your question but I am pretty sure you can gift them a GPU.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
I have applied a RPU (from a 1K) for BOS-SFO on a Monday 7AM departure in June. Any idea on the odds clearing...50/50?
Old May 18, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
I have applied a RPU (from a 1K) for BOS-SFO on a Monday 7AM departure in June. Any idea on the odds clearing...50/50?
Monday 7 a.m.? I'd say 20% for BOS-SFO.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Anything with SFO in it is hit and miss for 1Ks in my 'umble opinion.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tsolin01
Trying to see if this seems normal:

I applied an RPU to a flight IAH-SFO on an H fare ticket. I didn't clear the waitlist at T-24 and after checking in I'm #14 out of 33 on the list as a 1K.

I've applied an RPU on this route before that typically get the upgrade or it puts me in at least the top 5 on the list. I know it's hub-hub with a lot of elites but does it look strange that i'm so far down the list with an RPU as 1K?

If it makes any difference, I had to call the 1K desk to check myself in because it wouldn't let me online. Could something the rep did potentially negate my RPU?
I fly weekly from SFO-IAH-XXX and back.

My SFO-IAH flights are on Sundays between 6am and 8:45am. My 2015 RPU upgrade percentage is 9%. Yes, that is 9%. My fares are H, E, U, V and W. I am usually in positions 8 through 12 on the upgrade list.

My IAH-SFO flights on Thursdays are either at 6pm or 7pm. My 2015 RPU upgrade percentage is ZERO. 0%! Again, my fares are H, E, U, V and W. I am usually in positions 10 through 20 on the upgrade list.

My 2014 RPU upgrade percentage for a combined SFO-IAH and IAH-SFO was 19%.

Lately I have started taking Delta flights. DL is a much more enjoyable flight experience. And, as a DL Silver and now Gold, I have been upgraded several times between SFO and ATL!
Old May 21, 2015, 5:16 am

So I used two GPUs for myself and my mother from PHL to TPE (connecting in SFO), leaving next Monday, and we were both upgraded from SFO - TPE about a month and a half ago. Yesterday, my PHL - SFO segment upgrade just got confirmed but my mother's did not, even though I applied the GPUs at virtually the same time. Granted, I am 1K and she is only Silver but I also applied these GPUs way before April 15th, when GPUs applied were still based on the status of the one applying them, not the status of the person on the receiving end. Shouldn't my mother's PHL - SFO segment have cleared when mine cleared yesterday? Should I call United?
Old May 21, 2015, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by doverflyer
Shouldn't my mother's PHL - SFO segment have cleared when mine cleared yesterday? Should I call United?
Not if there was only 1 seat to be cleared. You can call and ask if there is another R seat available, but you can also just check online. If not, nothing to be done.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not if there was only 1 seat to be cleared. You can call and ask if there is another R seat available, but you can also just check online. If not, nothing to be done.
Ah ok. Thanks sbm12!
Old May 27, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
SWU at time of booking

I'm looking at booking BRU-LAX return in W and using SWU's to upgrade. Availability shows R9 BRU-ORD and ORD-BRU and R0 ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD. Can I book the ticket and use SWU's to instantly upgrade the transatlantic, and get waitlisted on the transcont, or will I not be able to upgrade until the entire itinerary clears?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thore T
I'm looking at booking BRU-LAX return in W and using SWU's to upgrade. Availability shows R9 BRU-ORD and ORD-BRU and R0 ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD. Can I book the ticket and use SWU's to instantly upgrade the transatlantic, and get waitlisted on the transcont, or will I not be able to upgrade until the entire itinerary clears?
As long as the flight numbers are different for the domestic and international segments, the TATL segments will clear immediately, and you'll be waitlisted for the domestic segments.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
GPU on airport change?

If I book SFO-JFK/EWR-DUB (fared as a single SFO-DUB fare) can I apply a single GPU to upgrade both legs?
Old May 27, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
This is perfectly fine.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
This morning looks at DEn-PHL and back. Looking at options, no R on the directs- but lots of F seats 737-900- and little in Y---- Middle E- return and a E+ middle there. The Y ticket is expensive, the listed F options on UA.com are pretty close- so I bet I get a pretty good offer after purchase. I get a good offer on DEN-PHL, but no option on the PHL-DEN.

After booking I go to put RPU on it, I have one that didn't clear and not sitting middle on a 4+ hour return is worth it to me. When I bring the upgrade page up, it give me a RPU and a miles option for up to three seats? Apply the RPU and get confirmed.

I just checked tonight and there are a couple of R seats now. Did R inventory open between me buying the ticket and applying the RPU?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Can you use different accounts for instrument on the same itinerary?

Hi All,

Is it possible to have RPU / GPU applied from one account on one way and another account for return for all members on PNR?

If not, will best approach to break down the PNR for members? I am concerned about IRROPS in this case.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Is it possible to have RPU / GPU applied from one account on one way and another account for return for all members on PNR?
Yes, that's trivial and even supported on united.com. Doing it the other way (multiple accounts in one direction) used to be allowed with pmUA over the phone, but I don't know what the current policy is on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.