Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandD
I agree that RPU for DEN-SAN is not a good value, but I will also waitlist for GUM-NRT with that RPU. Is RPU chance for GUM-NRT very low?
You can't use the same RPU for GUM-NRT and DEN-SAN.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't use the same RPU for GUM-NRT and DEN-SAN.
I have done it.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
DEN-SAN is a terrible use of an RPU. 2:20 flight.
My ROT for using RPU's are:

1) Total flight distance 1600+ miles
2) When the leg consists of a connection, always ensure that R space is available on both flights and that clearance of the RPU is certain before applying it.

I would rather give away my RPU to friends that travel long segments vs using it for myself on a 2hr segment... that's a waste in my eyes. In my world, there is never an issue finding someone to take RPU's off my hands before they expire.

Last edited by jjmoore; Jun 27, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I want to use 1 RPU that I have left on my upcoming flight to GUM; SAN-LAX-HNL-GUM and GUM-NRT-DEN-SAN. The flights are in July.

My initial thought is to use it for SAN-LAX, LAX-HNL, but these segments have more than 9 seats available for upgrade. On the other hand, GUM-NRT, DEN-SAN are quite full (waitlist only and 2 available).

Should I use RPU on the return flight to lock in DEN-SAN upgrade and hope for CPU for LAX-HNL?
I don't know when your RPU expires, but if I were in your shoes as a PT, I would save the RPU, especially if you feel that you will get the CPU for LAX-HNL. That's the only flight out of the whole bunch you mentioned that I would really want the upgrade. If you are unsure in any way about the LAX-HNL, go ahead and burn the GPU on that one. As for the return, I wouldn't risk wasting it, especially if GUM-NRT doesn't clear, it's not worth expending it on a 2 hr DEN-SAN flight.

It's too bad you don't have a GPU to burn on that NRT-DEN flight... J in the Dreamliner is a nice ride.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have done it.
I see there are mixed reports upthread of success doing that. I'm surprised they'll allow the upgrade to "skip" the GPU-only segment.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
If I recall, if you click "Upgrade Flight" on the itinerary, it asks you to check off which Flight (really which direction) to apply upgrades to. So there should be only one checkbox for GUM-SAN (consisting of GUM-NRT-DEN-SAN), and it should flag RPU-ineligible flight segments. If it didn't let you skip the ineligible segment, I'm not sure how you could select which part to apply it to.

It's been a few months since my SIN MR (which asked whether I wanted to use GPU or RPU), but that's how I recall the interface worked.

On a slight tangent: once an instrument is applied (either RPU or GPU) and a segment clears, is it possible to "undo" of the upgrade and get the instrument back? This would be useful when a "better use" is found for them.

Last edited by wh6cto; Jun 27, 2015 at 3:11 pm Reason: clarified "RPU-ineligible"
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
On a slight tangent: once an instrument is applied (either RPU or GPU) and a segment clears, is it possible to "undo" of the upgrade and get the instrument back? This would be useful when a "better use" is found for them.
Yes you can pull it, but only if original fare class is available. This can be a problem if you're on a deep discount fare.

Note that if you do this with a mileage upgrade, it's subject to a redeposit fee.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Yes you can pull it, but only if original fare class is available. This can be a problem if you're on a deep discount fare.
Wow, that is a HUGELY important point. Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
If I recall, if you click "Upgrade Flight" on the itinerary, it asks you to check off which Flight (really which direction) to apply upgrades to. So there should be only one checkbox for GUM-SAN (consisting of GUM-NRT-DEN-SAN), and it should flag RPU-ineligible flight segments. If it didn't let you skip the ineligible segment, I'm not sure how you could select which part to apply it to.

It's been a few months since my SIN MR (which asked whether I wanted to use GPU or RPU), but that's how I recall the interface worked.

One tactic you can employ with a GPU / RPU on a leg with connections... and this requires a phone call to reservations...

For instance... if you are flying DEN-LAX-HNL, and there is no R space on the LAX-HNL while there is on the DEN-LAX... you can call in and have them apply the RPU to solely the LAX-HNL segment. If that one opens R space and clears, then call back in and have the RPU extended to the DEN-LAX segment as well. I have done this a couple times to ensure that I don't waste an RPU on a short segment of a much longer trip. This is a pain, but well worth it, as if it doesn't work out on the long leg, you lose nothing. Same applies for GPU. I have done this on DEN-EWR-IST as well with a GPU last year. Luckily it worked out for me, and I was able to call in and get the DEN-EWR while it still had R space.

These examples are specifically for the OPs question about choosing which segment to apply the instrument to.

As for re-depositing after the upgrade has cleared... as Kacee mentioned, your original fare class must still have inventory for you to drop back. Then you are at the mercy of the 96hr before departure upgrade if R space is available and nobody else with higher status / fare class trumps you.

I generally only use RPU / GPU instruments after coming to terms that I am making the exact choice I want to make, and that I likely won't see the instrument again (unless there are irrops / cancellations).

Just play the game smart and be persistent (check every day to see if inventory opens up).

Good luck!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:49 pm

Note that if you do this with a mileage upgrade, it's subject to a redeposit fee.
Wow, I also didn't know about this. Anyway, I already went ahead and used RPU on the return flight. Like wh6cto mentioned, the system didn't allow me to pick specific segment to upgrade and I am now waitlisted for GUM-NRT.

Last edited by RandD; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
One tactic you can employ with a GPU / RPU on a leg with connections... and this requires a phone call to reservations...

For instance... if you are flying DEN-LAX-HNL, and there is no R space on the LAX-HNL while there is on the DEN-LAX... you can call in and have them apply the RPU to solely the LAX-HNL segment. If that one opens R space and clears, then call back in and have the RPU extended to the DEN-LAX segment as well. I have done this a couple times to ensure that I don't waste an RPU on a short segment of a much longer trip. This is a pain, but well worth it, as if it doesn't work out on the long leg, you lose nothing. Same applies for GPU. I have done this on DEN-EWR-IST as well with a GPU last year. Luckily it worked out for me, and I was able to call in and get the DEN-EWR while it still had R space.

Good luck!
That is a good tip, but it may be too late for me. I will call in and, if there is no additional cost, I will ask them to apply RPU on GUM-NRT only as suggested.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Is it worth using an RPU for a C->F upgrade on a 3-class domestic flight? Are food and service identical?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Is it worth using an RPU for a C->F upgrade on a 3-class domestic flight? Are food and service identical?
Not worth it IMO - no real difference in F&B. Save it for where you might be stuck in the back on slimlines.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not worth it IMO - no real difference in F&B. Save it for where you might be stuck in the back on slimlines.
Agree with UA-NYC. The only exceptions would be:
  1. You're in the middle section of C and would greatly prefer sitting by yourself or only with one other person.
  2. You're on one of the longest domestic flights (EWR–HNL, HNL–EWR, in that order), especially if it's a red-eye.
At the end of the day, this is subjective and you need to decide how much you value the slightly better seat, extra pillow and increased privacy.

One other things to consider is whether you'll put the RPU to use before it expires. Obviously, if it's unlikely you'll use the RPU before it expires, use it for the C-->F upgrade.

Finally, take a look at how open F is on your flight and gauge your chances of clearing the upgrade (as a UA credit card holder on an award ticket), considering your status.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:43 pm

That is a good tip, but it may be too late for me. I will call in and, if there is no additional cost, I will ask them to apply RPU on GUM-NRT only as suggested.
Well, I called in and got my RPU back. However, the return sector is now splitted up into 2; GUM-NRT and NRT-DEN-SAN and I need 2 RPUs to upgrade the return sector now. I guess I will save this RPU for future use .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.