Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:03 am

can a RPU be convert into GPU?

has any over ever been successful in having GS convert a RPU into GPU?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Remember GS GPUs clear into PN presently, not R. But that may change April 15th.
What about GS using an RPU? Does it clear into PN also, or just R for a domestic ticket?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
What about GS using an RPU? Does it clear into PN also, or just R for a domestic ticket?
PN.

So you can actually clear in advance on ps.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
PN.

So you can actually clear in advance on ps.
Great thanks! I applied some RPU/GPU for a family trip to Hawaii. One segment, only 2 cleared into first, the other 2 are wait listed (had to split reservation since I was using a combo). Segment that didn't clear for 2 kids shows PN=3. Guess I'll call and inquire!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great thanks! I applied some RPU/GPU for a family trip to Hawaii. One segment, only 2 cleared into first, the other 2 are wait listed (had to split reservation since I was using a combo). Segment that didn't clear for 2 kids shows PN=3. Guess I'll call and inquire!
When are the flights? If after April 15th there is no more inherited status for award tickets or sponsored upgrades. If they don't have GS on their own then they would clear into R not PN and if there is no R space then they are waitlisted (hope I got this part right).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
If they don't have GS on their own then they would clear into R not PN and if there is no R space then they are waitlisted (hope I got this part right).
Why do you say that? There has been published statement anywhere that GS instruments will not continue to clear into PN (although it has been a subject of speculation). And there are reports in the GS threads that gifted instruments continue to clear into PN for post-April 15 flights. Further, travel companions will continue to get the benefit of GS status, so even if it were true, it would not apply in this case.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why do you say that? There has been published statement anywhere that GS instruments will not continue to clear into PN (although it has been a subject of speculation). And there are reports in the GS threads that gifted instruments continue to clear into PN for post-April 15 flights. Further, travel companions will continue to get the benefit of GS status, so even if it were true, it would not apply in this case.
I am saying that because it is not officially posted anywhere and just because some do clear does not mean the benefit will actually continue. We all know how bad UA's IT is. Maybe they are just getting it setup. I am just bringing up one possibility. And as you say in your post "although it has been a subject of speculation". So until there is something official that specifically says GS sponsored upgrades for people not GS will continue to clear into PN there is the possibility they won't any longer. So I am not definitively saying that is why, I am (as you say) "speculating" as to a possible reason why.

Edit to add, And maybe if it is still a benefit that GS status carries down for sponsored upgrades, maybe something went awry when OP spilt the reservation for upgrades. Wouldn't be the first time something happened

Last edited by Baze; Apr 5, 2015 at 11:39 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:37 pm

When are the flights? If after April 15th there is no more inherited status for award tickets or sponsored upgrades. If they don't have GS on their own then they would clear into R not PN and if there is no R space then they are waitlisted (hope I got this part right).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html
Not til June. I was hoping it would clear now since there is space.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not til June. I was hoping it would clear now since there is space.
You may want to call in and see what they can do.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:42 pm

You may want to call in and see what they can do.
Called in and they cleared it! I was a 1k when I booked the flight and applied the RPU/GPU and I think I just manually had to call it in. Thanks all for the heads up on the PN inventory!!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:45 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm Platinum with an RPU waitlisted on an S fare DEN-CLE on Easter Sunday. Who out ranks me?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A bit more than that
- an GS or someone traveling on the same PNR as a GS or potentially those using miles from a GS account (inherited status with credit card)
- Any elite on a Y or B fare or any 1K on M fare
- Any 1K on RPU/GPU/Mileage Upgrade or anyone using an 1K's RPU/GPU/Mileage Upgrade or or potentially those using miles from a 1K account (inherited status with credit card)
- Any Plat on a higher* fare on RPU/Mileage Upgrade or anyone on a higher* fare using an RPU's RPU/Mileage Upgrade (* or the same fare and requested the upgrade earlier or at the gate check-in earlier)
- And theoretically any F award ticket and not seated in F
I ended up No. 2 on the waitlist and thus sitting in coach.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by RNE
I ended up No. 2 on the waitlist and thus sitting in coach.
You should have purchased more miles and used them to book in Biz.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:30 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
You should have purchased more miles and used them to book in Biz.
Point taken. But I resolutely hitched my wagon to an RPU star, come what may. I did get upgraded SAN-DEN*, just not DEN-CLE. So I'm not too bummed.

*Gave my FC seat to TSMRSRNE.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Go here and select E+ refund from the dropdown and give them all the information and see what happens.
Waited 8 days for an automatic refund but got nothing, so just applied online. Awesome "automatic" refund system UA has
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by slickvik
Waited 8 days for an automatic refund but got nothing, so just applied online. Awesome "automatic" refund system UA has
You really cannot trust UA's IT I am afraid. Sad but true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.