Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts

Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective April 15, 2015, the "carry-over" benefit where a lower/non-status passengers inherited the benefits of a higher status passenger who booked an award ticket booked and/or sponsored an upgrade for them will be ending.

This DOES apply to:
  • Upgrade status: Will now be the status of the traveler as opposed to that of the redeeming account
  • Baggage fees (but elites on the same flight can still check non-elite companions' baggage as their own)
  • E+ seating (but elites on the same flight can still call in to get free E+ for non-elite companions)
  • boarding priority (but elites on the same flight can still bring non-elite companions along when boarding)
  • IRROPS priority
  • CPU (not day of departure) if the account holder has a Chase Mileage Plus credit card.
  • United Club Access (did seem to retain for awhile but no longer)

This does NOT apply to:
  • TSA Pre-Check (as this did not transfer anyway)
  • *Alliance & Non-UA Lounge Access

The CPU benefit only seems to occur if there is only a single person (and one companion for GS) on the PNR.

Separating the PNR produces inconsistent results so it is best to book each person on a separate record should you desire to have the person you booked the ticket for inherit the benefits.

Questions
Will this affect/change the award fees for changes/deposits if the miles came from an elite?
Award changes are based on the account from which the miles came. As it was before this change.

Known Website CPU Glitch (pre 4-15-2015)
The pre-change thread as been archived as Inherited status benefit of award tickets archive (pre-2015 MP program change)

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold

MODERATOR NOTE:

Effective April 15, 2015, the "carry-over" benefit where a lower/non-status passengers inherited the benefits of a higher status passenger who booked an award ticket booked and/or sponsored an upgrade for them will be ending.

I booked a TLV-EWR trip on CO a while back for this coming March for a relative knowing that he would receive the extra luggage allowance as I am a 1K. Now when i pull up the ticket online it doesnt show my status. Has this changed?

Last edited by goalie; Nov 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm Reason: Added moderator note re: inherited benefits ending
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Emirates Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
I didn't read ALL of the posts in this thread - but a CSR explained to me that this is a system glitch that is supposed to be corrected later this year. If CPU are not processed automatically by the computer, agents have been instructed NOT to manually process them if the flyer does not have the actual status.

fyi - this glitch only takes effect if you enter no FF number for the passenger. If you book a ticket and input the flyers MP number, it does not "inherit" the status from the award account. I was told this is NOT an intended benefit and would go away later this year.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by starman1992
I didn't read ALL of the posts in this thread - but a CSR explained to me that this is a system glitch that is supposed to be corrected later this year. If CPU are not processed automatically by the computer, agents have been instructed NOT to manually process them if the flyer does not have the actual status.
An executive at WHQ told me the same thing last week.

It was suppossed to have been done already but it was pushed back. He said to expect it soon.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
An executive at WHQ told me the same thing last week.

It was suppossed to have been done already but it was pushed back. He said to expect it soon.
Are we just talking about CPUs here or other inherited benefits (baggage, E+, etc)?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by GroundStop
Are we just talking about CPUs here or other inherited benefits (baggage, E+, etc)?
All inherited benefits.

CPU's wouldn't count as you are upgrading a pax on the same PNR. Different animal.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
All inherited benefits.

CPU's wouldn't count as you are upgrading a pax on the same PNR. Different animal.
That's not what was being asked about. The CPU benefit transfers to a solo passenger booked on an elite Chase cardholder's account. That well probably also die. Sad.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If they do get rid of the inherit benefit/bug, I'd hope they at least keep it intact for GS miles.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1K; United (Continental) Million Miler; Hilton Diamond
Still working as of 8/8/14. Got an award ticket for my dad, and he was put into group 1. Also able to get him a seat in economy plus.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Worked here too on an 8/9 domestic R/T award seat -- my girl got CPU'd to First 20 hours before boarding with two-bag allowance and premier access TSA (not pre-check) and boarding. I am UA Silver with Chase MP Club card.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by boat9781
If they do get rid of the inherit benefit/bug, I'd hope they at least keep it intact for GS miles.
What I'm wondering is if the benefits will be kept for existing reservations.

I have several mileage redemption reservations booked for the in-laws this January and they're counting on the 1k baggage allowance (3 free checked bags). The emails I received on booking the tickets clearly show the free baggage allowance.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All inherited benefits.

I know this will not be popular with some, but I will be gad to see this corrected (even thought some of my family have benefited from this).
This dilutes the pool of those chasing these benefits and effectively raises the costs of elite benefits. Under the best of circumstance, UA has to account for those extra costs and that means less for me when I travel. Extending benefit to friends & family (which other airlines don't) has always seemed a bad idea and I don't need a GS's niece taking away my CPU opportunity.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I know this will not be popular with some, but I will be gad to see this corrected (even thought some of my family have benefited from this).
This dilutes the pool of those chasing these benefits and effectively raises the costs of elite benefits. Under the best of circumstance, UA has to account for those extra costs and that means less for me when I travel. Extending benefit to friends & family (which other airlines don't) has always seemed a bad idea and I don't need a GS's niece taking away my CPU opportunity.
I toeally agree with this. I had a spirited discussion with a GS agent about this when I was given some SWU's from a 1K and my upgrade wasn't clearing and the seats were disappearing day-by-day. She said that my upgrade will clear with the 1K's and any GS or 1K with a haigher fare would ace me out. I told her I didn't like it and she said people benefit from your SWU's, miles, etc. I told her that I didn't care for that. She couldn't understand why.

(BTW, my niece got an upgrade on my SWU from TLV-EWR-DEN a few months back. I called in to put in the request and they cleared her on the spot - three days before the flight with three seats open.)

Question - I thought this was a SHARES thing and not a sUA one. The agent (GS - Detroit) said that this has been like this ever since she can remember. I told her that I thought this was a merger "benefit".

What's the answer here?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by GroundStop
This is going to suck big time, at least for me. I fly my Mother-In-Law out every year for the XMas holidays and getting her E+ and no baggage fees is a big benefit. She has mobility issues so putting her after the E+ section is big deal for her (and my wife).

While I understand that this is an undocumented and a side effect. Does UA really lose that much revenue on it that it could not be made a benefit. It would be a change I'd like, thats for sure.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Question - I thought this was a SHARES thing and not a sUA one. The agent (GS - Detroit) said that this has been like this ever since she can remember. I told her that I thought this was a merger "benefit".

What's the answer here?
absolutely Shares/post merger issue. Note pmCO had this issue, so a pmCO agent would have been use to this.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
absolutely Shares/post merger issue. Note pmCO had this issue, so a pmCO agent would have been use to this.
Yep! Definitely a post merger issue for prior UA folks. At pmUA the person using someone else's miles didn't inherit anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.