Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Regional Premier Upgrade- EWR-HNL

Does a regional premier upgrade EWR-HNL require the copay?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM
No RPU's do not require copays (per se)

Last edited by goalie; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:06 am Reason: off topic comment removed
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:12 pm

I applied an RPU on LAX-DEN-PTY for my wife. A few days ago, she got an email notifying her about reservation change to LAX-IAH-PTY and she accepted it. The reservation now shows LAX-IAH-PTY, with only IAH-PTY shown upgrade requested. It also shows that she is waitlisted (for R) on LAX-DEN-IAH.

Is this common? Why she is not waitlisted on LAX-IAH?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RandD
I applied an RPU on LAX-DEN-PTY for my wife. A few days ago, she got an email notifying her about reservation change to LAX-IAH-PTY and she accepted it. The reservation now shows LAX-IAH-PTY, with only IAH-PTY shown upgrade requested. It also shows that she is waitlisted (for R) on LAX-DEN-IAH.

Not sure I follow but seems like a good time to call and get things straighten things out.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RandD

the reservation is out of sync. You'll have to call to get this cleared up. Happens all the time when instruments are waitlisted.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Can someone explain in simple terms how to try to use an RPU to get a confirmed upgrade at time-of-purchase of the ticket (if this is even possible)?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Can someone explain in simple terms how to try to use an RPU to get a confirmed upgrade at time-of-purchase of the ticket (if this is even possible)?
RPU cannot be applied until the itinerary has ticketed. You can apply the RPU online as soon as the itinerary tickets. Just go to "view reservation."

Or you just tell the phone agent you want to purchase the ticket and upgrade it with an RPU. The good ones can hold the R space until it has ticketed.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
RPU cannot be applied until the itinerary has ticketed. You can apply the RPU online as soon as the itinerary tickets. Just go to "view reservation."

Or you just tell the phone agent you want to purchase the ticket and upgrade it with an RPU. The good ones can hold the R space until it has ticketed.
Thanks! Two further questions: (1) Do I need to buy a particular economy fare class to be upgradeable? (2) When you say "R space", you mean that if there is R1 or greater, then when I go to apply the RPU it will upgrade me immediately?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Thanks! Two further questions: (1) Do I need to buy a particular economy fare class to be upgradeable? (2) When you say "R space", you mean that if there is R1 or greater, then when I go to apply the RPU it will upgrade me immediately?
(1) No. Any published fare.
(2) Yes, like magic.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 am

(1) No. Any published fare.
(2) Yes, like magic.
Thanks again!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: MP 1K MM
Anyone comment on what the actual effect of an RPU is? I'm 1K based out of IAH and my CPU success is about 50%. When I apply an RPU to try and "ensure" an upgrade, my success is about the same. What does an RPU do? Is it an "accelerator" of sorts, adding an additional variable to the prioritization? Does it effectively bump you up a fare class to clear before someone else? Would really like to understand the mechanics of this...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by OddFlyer
Would really like to understand the mechanics of this...
As would we all

RPUs are most valuable when you can confirm into open R in advance.

Prior to the gate, they are supposed to have priority over CPUs. It's debated whether they have any priority once the upgrade list goes to the gate.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: 1K
Is there a way to search for, or be notified of, flights that have GPU availability? Ms. Zdog and I would like to fly IAH<->EZE and use my GPUs, but in no way want to do the 10+ hours in E+.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Is there a way to search for, or be notified of, flights that have GPU availability? Ms. Zdog and I would like to fly IAH<->EZE and use my GPUs, but in no way want to do the 10+ hours in E+.
You can manually search or ask an agent to help you. There is no notification of availability (unless you clear after waitlisting).

To search
-- Used the existing mileage award search option in Advance Search. If mileage award upgrade is available, then a GPU will also work -- make sure you are check for two seats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...de-united.html
-- You can learn to use the Expert Mode readout and look for R space.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
-- Use the GPU space search in the united.com beta site.

The easiest is calling and asking for agent help but they will only spend so much time hunting.

Upgrade space to EZE can be difficult since UA has cut the number of flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-iah-eze.html
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:54 pm

As would we all

RPUs are most valuable when you can confirm into open R in advance.

Prior to the gate, they are supposed to have priority over CPUs. It's debated whether they have any priority once the upgrade list goes to the gate.
As a PP and PG I noticed a definite bump in the battlefield list from instrument upgrades (although hub to hub I'll still end up behind a few GS and not clearing). But, as mentioned the most sure-fire way is to look for R space when you book. Check out the post above with links on how to do these searches for GPUs (it's the same for RPUs in terms of clearing into R, but you don't need to be W or higher of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.