Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Nope. I believe you can only apply an RPU without upgrade space available outside of 24 hours. No waitlisting with an RPU inside of 24 hours.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmr12
I believe you can only apply an RPU without upgrade space available outside of 24 hours.
Correct.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 27, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reason: unnecessary comment removed
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmr12
Nope. I believe you can only apply an RPU without upgrade space available outside of 24 hours. No waitlisting with an RPU inside of 24 hours.
However, were there to be R availability on another flight, I imagine you should be able to get the RPU cleared immediately on the new flight, right? (at least that's how it worked with a miles upgrade when I flew EWR-SEA earlier this year and SDC'ed onto a flight w/R=1)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
However, were there to be R availability on another flight, I imagine you should be able to get the RPU cleared immediately on the new flight, right?
Yes.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't realize United prioritized upgrades that way (or that weigh)...
Hmm, I just assumed that if you had an used an RPU you are higher in the queue than a person who is just on the list due to CPU. No?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:06 am

R availability is tough to come by on a Sunday SFO - EWR flight and I would be surprised if there wereany available today. It doesn't hurt to get on the waitlist but these flights are so elite heavy that I think you will be too low on the list to clear - even as a 1K. There will be 1Ks who already got on the waitlist.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by qwicker
Hmm, I just assumed that if you had an used an RPU you are higher in the queue than a person who is just on the list due to CPU. No?
RPU will put you higher than CPU and at the same level as GPUs and miles-based upgrades. It's then ordered by fare class and time of request.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by qwicker
I just assumed that if you had an used an RPU you are higher in the queue than a person who is just on the list due to CPU.
That's the theory, but I don't know if it's ever been completely proven. And we know that the upgrade system doesn't always work as it should anyway (like when there's R inventory and nobody gets cleared).
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

That's the theory, but I don't know if it's ever been completely proven. And we know that the upgrade system doesn't always work as it should anyway (like when there's R inventory and nobody gets cleared).
Oh that's interesting... it hasn't been proven vs CPUs? I thought it was vs miles upgrades that it was unproven.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by blackllotus
Oh that's interesting... it hasn't been proven vs CPUs? I thought it was vs miles upgrades that it was unproven.
If the R stream gets stuck, CPUs will definitely clear before RPU/GPU. And even with no R inventory, I've had RPUs bypassed by CPU. Since there are so many bugs, there's no way to really tell how it's all supposed to work together.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
If they really try, an agent CAN apply a RPU within 24 hours and get you to your rightful spot on the waitlist. I have had this done in the past. I believe it involves unchecking you in and then rechecking you in, and I'm sure a few other buttons along the way. You have to find the right person. This happened to me recently after doing a SDC at the airport and, upon arriving at the gate, I explained the situation to the GA who then unchecked me in and did something that made me #1 on the upgrade list.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's the theory, but I don't know if it's ever been completely proven.
I've expressed my doubts on this before as well, but after seeing my no-status GF show-up at #4 on a very long upgrade list SFO-ATL using my RPU, I can confirm that RPU does (or at least can) have priority over elite CPUs.

Originally Posted by blackllotus
RPU will put you higher than CPU and at the same level as GPUs and miles-based upgrades. It's then ordered by fare class and time of request.
This is just flat-out wrong in multiple respects (in addition to what mahasamatman has already pointed out).

Instant (Y/B/M) upgrades come before instruments. A silver on a B fare beats a 1K using a RPU or GPU.

Otherwise, Premier status comes ahead of fare class for upgrade priority.

And a non-GS will never be on the "same level" as a GS for upgrades.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
In my experience RPU's when they do not clear will be redeposited back to your accouunt in a few days. Be alert and check that they are redeposited as sometime they are not and you will need MP to assist manually.

If you change flights as you did with SDC, the RPU does not follow your new itineary. You will need to apply a new one. If you only had 1 left from the flight that you changed from calling maybe able to assist. But SOP says to apply a new one and wait for the unused to be redeposited..
Thanks. This was very helpful. First class was sold out on my new flight, so I didn't bother trying to apply an RPU. I'm happy overall that I'm going to get to my destination 3 hours earlier and in an aisle seat, so I won't cry too hard about my RPU not clearing. Here's hoping it redeposits on its own, so I don't have to waste time calling customer service. Thanks again.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
OK, a way out flight, but HKG-SFO with R=0 since purchase a couple or three months ago.

Well, paranoid me check at least once a day, and all of sudden I see R=8

So I call, agent thinks a bit, then goes ahead and does u/g ^

An hour or two later, it's R=0 again, and on seatmap I see EXACTLY one less Biz seat taken Hard to belive I was the only one on u/g list

Now for MY QUESTION:

Withdrew my RPU for DFW-OGG, but now that my DFW-LAX cleared via CPU, am I safe in applying RPU and having it redeposited when it does not clear, since it's F=1 three days out.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Quick Question about Global Upgrades

My wife has 2 upgrades left in her account that expire right around the end of the year. Do those upgrades need to be USED by their expiration date, or just BOOOKED by their expiration date, and used at a later date?

Sorry if this information is somewhere, I couldn't find it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.