Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I thought GPUs came in above CPUs and RPUs in order of precedence and that I'd get at least that upgrade, but I only get a GPU to clear on the return XXX-DEN leg- and this is usually only on my returns if they are on a Saturday.

What trumps (besides fares) a 1K GPU? A GS GPU (which they should be buying business/first for TATL/TPACs, or else they would be 1Ks. Are there no R available ahead of time due to hub-hub flights and people buying last minute Y,B,M fares so that even a silver would trump me?

I've done pretty well with GPUs, but the domestic legs have been an eye opener as to why CPUs never clear.
there is no known preference for GPU over RPU or miles + money.

the order of clearance is based on fare class, then time of request, within a status band.

so for 1Ks, those on higher fare classes will clear first. in the event of a fare class tie, the earlier request for the instrument upgrade will clear first.

GS GPUs and RPUs clear into a different fare bucket (PN). So inherently you are not competing directly with GS for R space, however as GS requests clear into PN, it cuts down on the available BF/F inventory, and thus makes it less likely that R will open up.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
.... What trumps (besides fares) a 1K GPU? A GS GPU (which they should be buying business/first for TATL/TPACs, or else they would be 1Ks. Are there no R available ahead of time due to hub-hub flights and people buying last minute Y,B,M fares so that even a silver would trump me?...
There are two waitlist systems -- one for CPU egilible flights and one for non-CPU flights.

For non-CPU flights it simple --- status, fares, time of request. Plus GS clear into PN which is usually more available than R/RN.

For CPU flights it is more complex.
Again GS clear into PN for any ticket / upgrade method.
Then there are Instant Upgrades (also clear into PN) for Y,B and for 1Ks' M fares. Note Instant upgrade waitlist is sort by fare, status, time of request.
Then there are any supported (GPU/RPU/miles) upgrade -- status, fares, time of request.
And then CPUs.

So on domestic flights -- All GS (regardless of upgrade method since PN are handled first) and all Y,B and for 1Ks' M fares are ahead of 1Ks on GPU. (and 1Ks using supported upgrades on higher fares are also higher)

More available at MP Upgrades Overview

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2015 at 11:48 pm Reason: link
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Any data points lately for RPU to LIH or HNL? Been trying to find R for off season travel (early next Sept) and no luck. I've used them out of SFO and LAX successfully before but was hoping for flat bed out of IAH, DEN or ORD. Nada. Too soon to look?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
Any data points lately for RPU to LIH or HNL? Been trying to find R for off season travel (early next Sept) and no luck. I've used them out of SFO and LAX successfully before but was hoping for flat bed out of IAH, DEN or ORD. Nada. Too soon to look?
I can't even get them for domestic F ex-Hawaii
v right now...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are two waitlist systems -- one for CPU egilible flights and one for non-CPU flights.

For non-CPU flights it simple --- status, fares, time of request. Plus GS clear into PN which is usually more available than R/RN.

For CPU flights it is more complex.
Again GS clear into PN for any ticket / upgrade method.
Then there are Instant Upgrades (also clear into PN) for Y,B and for 1Ks' M fares. Note Instant upgrade waitlist is sort by fare, status, time of request.
Then there are any supported (GPU/RPU/miles) upgrade -- status, fares, time of request.
And then CPUs.

So on domestic flights -- All GS (regardless of upgrade method since PN are handled first) and all Y,B and for 1Ks' M fares are ahead of 1Ks on GPU. (and 1Ks using supported upgrades on higher fares are also higher)

More available at MP Upgrades Overview
I actually ran into a GS with the same last name on my flight today. I saw he was higher on the upgrade list than me, 1k with a GPU, so I found out he was just a GS, no instrument.

Pretty much reinforced that with UA, you are GS or you are nothing. The lady in GB1 with me, which was literally half the plane and 5 times bigger than Group 5, said that when everyone is 1k, no one is 1k.

I still can't wait till the next recession when these UA management all of a sudden find the old timey religion of FF programs.

I'm researching laws about games of chance with buy ins that never pay out. CPUs are one thing, GPUs with fare restrictions forcing higher fares, but not getting them to clear seems to be a fixed game. Gotta be some cases of carnies with games that were unwinnable.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Redeeming a GPU

Can someone refresh my memory on how to use them?

For example earlier this year as a Platinum I redeemed two RDU's from phx-sfo-hnl. I found the itinerary I wanted by selecting "Mileageplus upgrade reward", found R available flights, then viola I was done.

Is redeeming the GPU the same but I can now redeem on a phx-connection-lhr now via the same method?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by enviroian

For example earlier this year as a Platinum I redeemed two RDU's from phx-sfo-hnl. I found the itinerary I wanted by selecting "Mileageplus upgrade reward", found R available flights, then viola I was done.

Is redeeming the GPU the same but I can now redeem on a phx-connection-lhr now via the same method?
You need a W fare class or higher to Europe or asia, to use a GPU
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonp622

You need a W fare class or higher to Europe or asia, to use a GPU
Let me guess those fares are much more expensive coach fares? So effectively GPU's are useless.

Flyer friendly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Let me guess those fares are much more expensive coach fares? So effectively GPU's are useless.

Flyer friendly.
It's been that way for years. When I had GPUs I'd generally pay about $5-600 more, sometimes as much as $800 for trips to Asia.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid

Flyer friendly.
It's been that way for years. When I had GPUs I'd generally pay about $5-600 more, sometimes as much as $800 for trips to Asia..
Gotcha. Guess paying $500 more isn't that bad. Do DL and AA's GPU's require a similar coach fare?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2015 at 11:00 am
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:02 pm

Gotcha. Guess paying $500 more isn't that bad. Do DL and AA's GPU's require a similar coach fare?
From what I've read, DL may be even worse. AA, not so much. Believe it's any published fare. Moreover, you get 8 eVIPs
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flyer friendly.
It's been that way for years. When I had GPUs I'd generally pay about $5-600 more, sometimes as much as $800 for trips to Asia.
Well Munoz should really work on changing that silly W fare min to any published fare. What good is 1K loyalty if you make it so hard to redeem benefits?

Okay to search for a GPU eligible fare I need to:

1. "enter specific class of service" and enter "W"
2. Also check "MileagePlus Upgrade Award".

W is the lowest coach fare to redeem a GPU? WHY doesn't United just have a clickable option that says "search by GPU eligible fare".

I've never been so disappointed to earn 1K in my life.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 10:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:03 pm

WHY doesn't United just have a clickable option that says "search by GPU eligible fare".
Actually ......

haven't looked at new site, but IIRC old site had an option to click in advanced search to look via upgradable fares.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Actually ......

haven't looked at new site, but IIRC old site had an option to click in advanced search to look via upgradable fares.
just mileage upgrades and no min fare class
Okay to search for a GPU eligible fare I need to:

1. "enter specific class of service" and enter "W"
2. Also check "MileagePlus Upgrade Award".

W is the lowest coach fare to redeem a GPU?
for a UA operated non-CPU eligible flight, yes

WHY doesn't United just have a clickable option that says "search by GPU eligible fare". ....
the new web site does

... I've never been so disappointed to earn 1K in my life.

W fare for GPUs has been true for a long time (since mid-2000's)

Suggest using http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pay-deal.html for that discussion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 11:01 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
just mileage upgrades and no min fare class
for a UA operated non-CPU eligible flight, yes

the new web site does

W fare for GPUs has been true for a long time (since mid-2000's)

Suggest using http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pay-deal.html for that discussion.
I found it on the new website.

however I'm very disappointed with my PHX-LHR search query. I picked some random Tuesday-Wednesday (8 days) at the end of FEBRUARY and out of three pages of search results that came back there is ZERO availability to redeem a GPU. All results are "waitlist only" and yes this is buying a W fare + GPU.

What gives? This should be the easiest time of year to redeem awards. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. If I'm not I stand by my earlier post that they are effectively useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.