Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:34 pm

How do you use an RPU?

I am sure this has been answered a million time, but how do you use an RPU?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FolliesFlyer
1) Log into your account and view the reservation you want to upgrade
2) Click on "Upgrade Reservation"
3) You'll get option to "Buy Up to United First" or "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" - click on latter
4) That tab will have option to use miles or a RPU(s) or GPU(s) to upgrade. It'll also say if there are any seats available or if there's a waitlist.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FolliesFlyer
RPU provides the potential of a confirmed upgrade on CPU routes and PS flights. You can request the upgrade at booking or any time prior to 24 hours before travel. If R (PN for GS) inventory space exists your request will clear, otherwise you will be waitlisted.

You can make the request online (use the " Upgrade Reservation" link in your online itin) or call and ask an agent to apply.

MileagePlus upgrade regions and eligible fares

Regional Premier Upgrades

Reading this thread will provide much useful real-life advice.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
GPU from C to F

Although I have traveled internationally for pleasure on UA in the past, my new job now takes me to Dubai very frequently. That means the horrid 2-4-2 config on the 777 in J. As we know, GPU's cannot be used on a Z fare, which is most often the most readily available fare.

Is there any hope that UA will start allowing GPU usage on a Z fare? I am trying to book a trip for next week and Z ranges from $4,000 to $9,000! It won't even let me book a D fare even thought I can see it is available.

I usually buy-up to F at check-in for $1089, but I would much rather pay $6k or so and use my GPU's!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
... Is there any hope that UA will start allowing GPU usage on a Z fare? ...
Very, very doubtful it has been this way for a very long time.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't know much about Business fares, but can one up-fare the same way folks upfare to W?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't know much about Business fares, but can one up-fare the same way folks upfare to W?
sure, you can upfare all the way into D to then use a GPU to get into F.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: TK E+
GPU validity

Suppose that I get to 1K and receive the 6 GPUs that will expire by Jan 31st, 2017. Does that mean I'll have to actually fly by that date, or only to apply the GPU to some ticket by that date?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:32 am

Fly by that date.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
+1 on that.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Does anyone else have an abnormal high irrops rate with cleared RPU's? It's uncanny, I have SDC out of the past 3 cleared RPU's just trying to get home
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bamba70
Suppose that I get to 1K and receive the 6 GPUs that will expire by Jan 31st, 2017. Does that mean I'll have to actually fly by that date, or only to apply the GPU to some ticket by that date?
Yes, you have to use them (fly) by that date.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Yes, you have to use them (fly) by that date.
However, in the past UA has extended (2) GPU's for a few months past January upon request. YMWV..
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
However, in the past UA has extended (2) GPU's for a few months past January upon request. YMWV..
Only for 1Ks who have requalified.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'd be interested in people's experience being able to call in and only put the longer, primary leg on an RPU upgrade list. Thanks!
First time using RPUs here. From what I've read a lot of people have had success in applying to just longer segment first to see if clears, and then call back to extend to the shorter segment.

Flying LGA-DEN-LAX, leaving LGA Friday late afternoon in mid December. Waitlist option for the long seg, available clear for short seg.

I've called a couple times to try this out. First person told me this is not possible and I would need 2 coupons used for this strategy. Second person attempted this manually, but while on phone she told me it automatically applied RPU to both. So I was then waitlisted on long seg, RPU cleared on short seg. I requested for the RPU to be redeposited...how long does this take to appear back in my account?

May make it to 1K before this flight. Anyone have an idea what my chances of clearing CPU (Q tix) would be? Should I be calling during the daytime for better chances of this working?

Last edited by SubzeroMSP; Sep 18, 2015 at 2:35 am Reason: Added additional question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.