Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just want to double check something. If I want to apply an RPU to a booking but not credit to UA is that possible? Flying a transcon and the mileage gets killed under the new formula so I'd rather credit to SQ (it's a T fare so 100% on SQ). Is this doable? If so do I just have to book it without signing into my UA account and then just apply the RPU to that reservation with the SQ number in there.

If it is possible - have people had issues getting the credit for it or does SQ get the underlying T class reported (instead of R) so there is no issue
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just want to double check something. If I want to apply an RPU to a booking but not credit to UA is that possible? Flying a transcon and the mileage gets killed under the new formula so I'd rather credit to SQ (it's a T fare so 100% on SQ). Is this doable? If so do I just have to book it without signing into my UA account and then just apply the RPU to that reservation with the SQ number in there.

If it is possible - have people had issues getting the credit for it or does SQ get the underlying T class reported (instead of R) so there is no issue
shouldn't be a problem. The ticket usually doesn't get updated to R (unless there are other changes made) so it should get reported as 'T' to SQ. Recently (although w/ LH and not SQ) it actually took the originally ticketed class although the ticket had been re-issued (ticketed as Y then D became available ... LH credited as Y!). Keep the original receipt with T in case there is an issue.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
I have a reservation (domestic tcon) that I used upgrades on both legs for - the outbound a mileage award and the return a RPU. I was waitlisted on both legs/all 4 segments and everything seemed in order until last weekend.

My reservation now shows "Upgrade Requested" for the first 3 segments, and nothing for the last segment. The last segment not only doesnt show "Upgrade requested", it also doesnt show "CPU Eligible" or anything at all. Looking at 'change seats' shows all 4 waitlisted segments after the 4 booked segments, but the last segment says "reservation not booked".

Two different premier desk agents said that the reservation looks fine and its just an IT glitch...but is this something anyone else has/is experiencing?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Elite accrual of upgrade certificates

Hello, folks, I know I have seen this posted before, but after a lengthy search cannot find the answer:

After reaching 1K status, how are additional upgrade certificates earned? After 50K or after 100K flown over and above the 1K status level?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello, folks, I know I have seen this posted before, but after a lengthy search cannot find the answer:

After reaching 1K status, how are additional upgrade certificates earned? After 50K or after 100K flown over and above the 1K status level?

Thanks
After you reach 1K (100K miles) you will receive as usual 2 RPU per 25K miles starting from 75K (2 RPU at 75K, 100K, 125K , 150K etc).
As for GPU, you will receive an additional 2 per 50K miles on top of the 6 you receive when reaching 1K (6 GPU at 100K and additional 2 GPU at 150K, 200K, 250K etc).

Hope it answers your question.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
After you reach 1K (100K miles) you will receive as usual 2 RPU per 25K miles starting from 75K (2 RPU at 75K, 100K, 125K , 150K etc).
As for GPU, you will receive an additional 2 per 50K miles on top of the 6 you receive when reaching 1K (6 GPU at 100K and additional 2 GPU at 150K, 200K, 250K etc).

Hope it answers your question.

cacohenassaf, Yes this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply.

cagcag
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by cagcag
cacohenassaf, Yes this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply.

cagcag
Happy to help.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by phxrsng
I have a reservation (domestic tcon) that I used upgrades on both legs for - the outbound a mileage award and the return a RPU. I was waitlisted on both legs/all 4 segments and everything seemed in order until last weekend.

My reservation now shows "Upgrade Requested" for the first 3 segments, and nothing for the last segment. The last segment not only doesnt show "Upgrade requested", it also doesnt show "CPU Eligible" or anything at all. Looking at 'change seats' shows all 4 waitlisted segments after the 4 booked segments, but the last segment says "reservation not booked".

Two different premier desk agents said that the reservation looks fine and its just an IT glitch...but is this something anyone else has/is experiencing?
Is there any chance it could be down-gauged to a 50-seater? It can take a whole weekend for a gauge change to fully be realized by SCARES (was it already regional? I doubt they'd jump from 319/73G past an E-jet/CR7). If not then I would be at least a little worried if things don't look normal within a few days. Call back in and instead of just saying things look funny specifically ask why you're no longer showing as wait-listed for the last segment. Sure this increases the chance you'll get a BS answer, but most agents would at least check that you're still waitlisted.

If you're really paranoid you could ask to remove/re-apply the instrument (in two separate calls) which would require the ticket be re-synced... but then you lose your "time of request" priority (which makes a difference in the pre-battlefield list).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wto605
.... If you're really paranoid you could ask to remove/re-apply the instrument (in two separate calls) which would require the ticket be re-synced... but then you lose your "time of request" priority (which makes a difference in the pre-battlefield list).
Time of request is used for clearance prior to the gate. At the gate, time of check-in is used.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Time of request is used for clearance prior to the gate. At the gate, time of check-in is used.
Sorry, I keep forgetting the battlefield list isn't a thing anymore (I think it's CO terminology). Thanks for rewording it better.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hmm. 757-200 with 16 Lie Flat (LAX-EWR) saw R2 one day, next day R0. Over 40 days out I apply the RPU and seat map showed 13 available. Now about 10 days out and map shows 3 available. N Fare with a connection to South America. Thinking I should pull it and go CPU if N Space opens up again. Never thought it wouldn't clear. Any thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hmm. 757-200 with 16 Lie Flat (LAX-EWR) saw R2 one day, next day R0. Over 40 days out I apply the RPU and seat map showed 13 available. Now about 10 days out and map shows 3 available. N Fare with a connection to South America. Thinking I should pull it and go CPU if N Space opens up again. Never thought it wouldn't clear. Any thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
Why didn't you call if you saw R=2 and you had a RPU in????
10 days out, 3 available means almost zero chance for a Plat to get a CPU on that route/plane.
Why do you want to pull it? You'll get it back if it doesn't clear (assuming it's not applicable on other segment). At this point, it's your only (very slim, at that) chance to sit up front.

Why do you need N space? If the upgrade hasn't cleared, you're still in N. Is the RPU being used on the other segment (which would be Central, not South, America) and you need N there?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 31, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Why didn't you call if you saw R=2 and you had a RPU in????
10 days out, 3 available means almost zero chance for a Plat to get a CPU on that route/plane.
Why do you want to pull it? You'll get it back if it doesn't clear (assuming it's not applicable on other segment). At this point, it's your only (very slim, at that) chance to sit up front.

Why do you need N space? If the upgrade hasn't cleared, you're still in N. Is the RPU being used on the other segment (which would be Central, not South, America) and you need N there?

Thanks for your reply. I saw the R space and said hey I could do this tomorrow. Well 2 days later I went to apply the RPU and its R0 (lesson learned, strike when the fire is hot)

I reference N (as this is my booking class) I surely thought with 30 days or more out and 13 seats available I would have surely cleared with the RPU (I reference N and Platinumn as I assume 1K's with higher Fare Class than N have been getting confirmed with their RPU's)

I thought to pull it (and use it for another flight that may have a better chance of clearing) I was told that N has to be available for UA to pull the RPU and give it back to me.

I'm thinking like you, I have a very low chance and was even thinking I have the same chance clearing with the CPU vs RPU if it went to day of departure. (on second thought as I write this this seems to be bad logic)..

And yes its South America.. (I'm in Coach on that leg)..

Does this clarify my mindset? Thanks for your reply and curious to know your thought. Safe Travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 31, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
...I reference N (as this is my booking) I surely thought with 30 days or more out with 13 seats available I would have cleared with the RPU (I reference N and Platinumn as I assume 1K's with higher Fare Class than N have been getting confirmed with their RPU's)

I thought to pull it (and use it for another flight that may have a better chance of clearing) I was told that N has to be available for UA to pull the RPU and give it back to me....
All GS and 1Ks, regardless of fare class and Plats on higher fare class will clear first. No, if you have not been upgraded, you can just have it re-deposited - you're still in N. It only needs to available if you've been upgraded and want to go back to coach to chance the CPU. I'd just let it ride. It really is your best chance for the upgrade. You'll get it back if you don't get upgraded.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You'll get it back if you don't get upgraded.
May have to call, it's not always automatic. Ask me how I know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.