Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Ok. I'm going to call for help on this one. I've read most of this thread and most of To split or not to split PNR thread and I'm still not clear on when to check in for the flight.

SFO-LHR
1K traveling with a GM companion on one PNR, I used a MUA and the upgrade is waitlisted. ,,,, should I check in at T-24 and split the PNR, or should I wait until closer to T-3.
The major advantage to checking in at T-24 is to get an earlier time stamp (actually lower sequence number) for upgrade priority but the odds of another 1K with the same fare class is small, so the time stamp is probably a non-issue. So given that, I would wait to check-in. You can look at how the list (removing those also on the economy list) and unsold seats look like to decide if you want to drop the upgrade request (if you truly mean both or none) or not before check-in.
extreme_panda likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The major advantage to checking in at T-24 is to get an earlier time stamp (actually lower sequence number) for upgrade priority but the odds of another 1K with the same fare class is small, so the time stamp is probably a non-issue. So given that, I would wait to check-in. You can look at how the list (removing those also on the economy list) and unsold seats look like to decide if you want to drop the upgrade request (if you truly mean both or none) or not before check-in.
Thanks WineCountryUA. So the risk of checking in at T-24 is that we'd both be listed on the standby waitlist for business, but listed separately, so one could possibly clear without the other? (and then we'd have to ask for a downgrade).

Just to confirm my understanding, I need R=2 (at least) to happen sometime between now and T-3 in order for us both to be upgraded together?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Thanks WineCountryUA. So the risk of checking in at T-24 is that we'd both be listed on the standby waitlist for business, but listed separately, so one could possibly clear without the other? (and then we'd have to ask for a downgrade).

Just to confirm my understanding, I need R=2 (at least) to happen sometime between now and T-3 in order for us both to be upgraded together?
Actually, I don't know if we've determined whether or not instrument-supported upgrades split automatically at T-24 or not. If you don't clear, you'll get an email saying that you'll be added to the standby list; at that point, the reservations may already be split.

Yes, you need R >= 2 to get upgraded (watch it, and call if you see it; they haven't always been processing upgrades immediately). And, yes, if the PNR is split, you risk having one person upgraded and the other not.

You cannot decline splitting the PNR during the check-in process when using an instrument. The only way to prevent the PNR from being spilt is to call and remove the upgrade request before the split occurs.
extreme_panda likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, I don't know if we've determined whether or not instrument-supported upgrades split automatically at T-24 or not. If you don't clear, you'll get an email saying that you'll be added to the standby list; at that point, the reservations may already be split.
I believe that the PNR is tagged at T-24 with the SSR code, which means it will not split until you actually check in, but avoiding the split becomes much more difficult if you don't cancel the waitlist before the tag sweep.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Auto-splitting of PNRs - new bug, or am I just unlucky?

This is now my 3rd occurrence. It was my understanding that if you travel with a companion, and you're waitlisted but not cleared for an upgrade, during OLCI the PNR will be split if you wish to remain on the upgrade list. To that end, you're asked during OLCI, and your options are to either decline being on the upgrade list (and stay with your companion(s)), or opt in and have the PNR split.

First off, that option seems to be gone. I'm no longer asked during OLCI either via the app or via the web.

Secondly, even if you call in and have an agent remove you from the upgrade list, OLCI seems to still split the PNR.

1kvoice said they'd look into it and even sent a few miles as an apology, which by the way is very nice of them, but I'm just wondering if others have experienced the same issue?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsMoe
This is now my 3rd occurrence. It was my understanding that if you travel with a companion, and you're waitlisted but not cleared for an upgrade, during OLCI the PNR will be split if you wish to remain on the upgrade list. To that end, you're asked during OLCI, and your options are to either decline being on the upgrade list (and stay with your companion(s)), or opt in and have the PNR split.
If you are waitlisted using an instrument, the PNR auto-splits at check-in.

If you are waitlisted for a CPU, the system gives you the choice at check-in whether you want to split the PNR.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I think I've read the whole thread now and am still not quite sure what's going to happen in my specific scenario:
--1K traveling with one no-status companion
--Flying IAD-DEN tomorrow (less than 24 hrs out), then DEN-HNL two days later (hence not a connection, a separate trip with separate RPUs applied), then some travel in Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines, then UA back home OGG-DEN-IAD. Everything is currently on the same PNR.
--RPUs requested for all UA flights
--DEN-HNL cleared, nothing else is
--Not going to clear upgrade for IAD-DEN since there's only one seat left.
--I want to avoid the split.

1K desk has assured me on two separate occasions that as long as I pay attention at check-in for IAD-DEN and don't click the wrong box, we won't split, and therefore will be fine all the way through until return, at which point we'll have to be careful again to avoid the split then. But what I've read here suggests that if I don't remove the RPUs for IAD-DEN before checking in, I won't have an option and it will split anyway. So, a few questions:

1. Should I call and remove the RPUs now, or is my fate sealed at this point since it's under 24 hours? It's still showing as one PNR online.
2. If I manage to avoid the split during that first checkin process, will I be able to checkin normally for DEN-HNL (for which we've already been cleared into First), or will that trigger a split too? Put another way, will having cleared RPUs in the reservation also cause an autosplit?
3. If we do get split, what's the best way to manage things on the return so that my companion doesn't lose free bags, group 1, etc?

Thank you for any advice.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Octopodes
1. Should I call and remove the RPUs now, or is my fate sealed at this point since it's under 24 hours? It's still showing as one PNR online.
2. If I manage to avoid the split during that first checkin process, will I be able to checkin normally for DEN-HNL (for which we've already been cleared into First), or will that trigger a split too? Put another way, will having cleared RPUs in the reservation also cause an autosplit?
3. If we do get split, what's the best way to manage things on the return so that my companion doesn't lose free bags, group 1, etc?

Thank you for any advice.
1 - Yes, call.
2 - Yes (no split)
3 - You'll need to take care of it at the airport -- or just hope the RPUs clear.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Specifically, if you call about IAD-DEN, I would try to make sure that the agent is able to remove the "SSR" (special service request) from the PNR -- this is what triggers the system to split your PNR and add your the upgrade standby list with instrument-supported priority. I'm not 100% sure how the computer works here, but I believe there was a sweep just before T-24 to add that code to your PNR that was concurrent with the "we could not confirm your upgrade" e-mail you usually receive. It is the presence/absence of that code which will cause the PNR to auto-split at check-in. You will not see a check-box for this.

If the PNR splits, everything except bags should be easy to keep manually. Your companions may physically accompany you through all relevant Premier Access things, and you can call if there is a sweep that kicks them out of E+ (unlikely). The easiest solution for bags is just to check all of them on your record; if you have more than 3 bags then just allocate an extra 10 minutes to explain the situation at the counter.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Comp upgrade results in seperated PNRs?

I managed to get myself to MP Silver this year. On an outbound flight BOS-DEN my wife and I were on same PNR and unbelievably we both got upgraded via CPU. Now when I look at my reservation my wife is no longer on the same reservation. I thought I might have seen something flash by when checking in for the outbound about upgrades and separate PNRs but I didn't really pay attention.

One of my return legs is again very lightly loaded with lots of first class seats open. But if my wife is now on a separate PNR, then, she's not going to get on the upgrade list with me, is she? Is there a way to correct this? I'm on hold waiting for reservations now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:19 am Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Dont bother. She most likely will have to added when you check bags in.

Nothing that can be done to add the pnrs back.

Look up auto-splitting here for the thread.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:14 am

"auto-splitting" - hadn't thought to search on that. Searched a bunch of other stuff. thanks.

Edited: Dang - there's a Wiki on it! Mod's please feel free to close or delete this thread.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PATRLR
I thought I might have seen something flash by when checking in for the outbound about upgrades and separate PNRs but I didn't really pay attention.
This is going to be your issue right here. I’d guess you added yourselves to the standby upgrade list, which requires a split. By the way, there was a time when a split wasn’t mentioned, but it still happened. They are much better at disclosing what happens now.

Originally Posted by PATRLR
One of my return legs is again very lightly loaded with lots of first class seats open. But if my wife is now on a separate PNR, then, she's not going to get on the upgrade list with me, is she? Is there a way to correct this? I'm on hold waiting for reservations now.
correct. Also likely won’t have a bag allowance, etc - something an agent can help with, but won’t happen automatically. You’ll also need to check in separately if using the app, online check in, etc. May be easiest and best to wait and check in with an agent for the return at the airport, where you can also ask that your wife be added to the upgrade list as your companion. Reservations can’t do anything at this point - once a PNR is split, it can’t be returned to its former state.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Look up auto-splitting here for the thread.
doesnt sounds like auto-splitting to me at all - sounds like OP chose themselves to be added to upgrade standby list and therefore chose to have the PNR split - just didn’t read or acknowledge the warning.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: unneeded, snarky comment removed
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:43 am

doesnt sounds like auto-splitting to me at all - sounds like OP chose themselves to be added to upgrade standby list and therefore chose to have the PNR split - just didn’t read or acknowledge the warning.
It may or may not be auto splitting, but, auto splitting is the right thing to search for. You see, aacharya's reply was focused on providing the answer to the question that was asked. Thank you for your response though.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: removed response to delete content
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:19 am

I'm silver, wife GM. Wife and I were on same PNR, split PNR at outbound checkin to get on the upgrade list becuase it looked like we had a chance. We both got upgraded (BOS-DEN early on a Saturday morning). Life is good.

For the return, I learn/realize the split PNR situation. OK, it's the price we pay for getting upgraded on the outbound. I look up my wife's new PNR and I notice it says CPU requested (this is roughly T-32). She has no status. So when she checks in, is she actually going to get put on the upgrade list? Everything I was reading indicated she would not get on the list until I asked at the airport.

I can't believe this is related, but I'll share it just in case. While reading up on this split PNR stuff, I called Premier reservations and the agent said he was going to "cross reference" the two PNRs. I hung up thinking that was nice but probably not going to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.