Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I typically travel alone but the last two times (over maybe 5 years), I tried to have someone else board with me in group 1, I tell the GA, the person is with me, the GA asks "Are you a GS or 1K?", I say yes, then the GA allows it. I dont know what the GA would say if I was not.
They wouldn't care. I don't know why they ask, lol. Who's to say a Plat couldn't do the same thing? Or a general member flying First with a co-worker in Economy. #Shenanigans
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
TSA PreCheck started with the airlines, and I highly doubt that it is a coincidence that many pax on same PNRs as high-level elites get PreCheck even without a KTN. Theoretically it should be close to 0% of the time if they don't have a KTN - yet data points I have seen suggest it is statistically significantly different than 0% (more like at least 1/4, some cases even well over 3/4 of the time).

And you can't say the airline isn't involved in the process at all - they are always involved as they are the ones that print the BP, send the KTN to the TSA, and the TSA verifies it. Given some personal situations where family members have been travelling with last minute fares for a death (which was stated to the agent when booking) booked <12 hours in advance, and always gotten PreCheck (3 different cases with different combinations of 3 people) - I highly suspect that the airline has a manner to push a "we want this person to have PreCheck TSA - are you okay with it" just as they used to do for their FFers in an opt-in process when it first started.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you have RPUs applied to the outboard? or just the return?
Did you to the gatelist on the outboard? or the return?
Outbound and Inbound were separate, since I used miles out and $ in. RPUs on the return because they were cash.

Originally Posted by chermorg
So.. you're mad because exactly what is expected (a reservation split when upgrade instruments went to gate list) happened, and mad because United is following TSA regulations which only guarantee PreCheck to members of the related programs? United did everything they were supposed to. They are not just going to grant PreCheck to anyone who comes up asking for it - it is a risk based assessment not done at the airport during check in, and likely not even doable by phone agents prior. As for group 1, if your boarding pass printed with it, there is no sense for them to hassle with the others as you'll be able to take them with you. Same with Premier security.

If your family is not enrolled in PreCheck, it was not jacked" from you. You have no right to expect it - there is hint that UA may take the time and assessment to extend benefits "randomly" to companions of premiers on same reservation, but that is not a guarantee and you should not expect it. They are not entitled to PreCheck as someone enrolled in a program would be.
It is not clear that failed RPUs will split the reservation- that is a bug of the UA IT, not some 'feature'. Everytime my kids and wife travel with me they get PRE, and United breaking the PNR broke that. You can bleat all you want about it not being so, but that is contradiction to reality and what actually happens. Instruments jacking itins isn't something that is either intuitive or frankly logical. I'm on here pretty regularly, and I haven't had it happen to me or noticed a lot of threads about it. That the gate agent wasn't aware of that and communicate it is a real issue. I told her about the issue, and she said she 'fixed it', when in reality she did nothing. Interestingly, by the time I turned around, she was gone.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP lost me when he used the word "ghetto" to refer to OGG. A "ghetto" is defined as "a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups." So, which minority group is it that offends OP and caused his misery?

UA does not "grant" Pre-Check. TSA authorizes it.

If OP wants Pre-Check for his 13 YOA, he should apply for it,

OP got exactly what is to be expected and none of it was particularly awful.
13YO got it on the way out, so that shoots that theory, and my wife is over 13 also so there is something else in play there.

Nice playing the racial card. Been to OGG lately? It is a slum. Maybe that would have been a better word.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I have less sympathy for frequent travelers who know security can be a PITA and not cough up for Pre. $85 for 5 years. $1.42/mo. Come on...

Travel can already be stressful for some people. Knowing you and your fellow travelers have a KTN associated w/ their reservation lessens some of that stress.
We started down the path to getting the kids passports and all that but between a 1Ks travel schedule and a docs limited time off, there is about 1 day a month both of us can get to the passport place, and the nearest one is booked out three months. My son just turned 13, and I thought the age was higher.

What makes travel less stressful is if UA doesn't jack with stuff and not train their agents to explain it.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Not true. UA has NOTHING to do with the Pre-Check. In fact it is a marketing scheme that TSA does by giving it to you occasionally so you get used to it and will buy it when you don't. This is not something to be upset with United about

My guess is they started on the same PNR.....THEN, they wanted the best shot at upgrades so they allowed it to be split and didn't realize this may happen
I didn't allow anything. If I had known that this would happen, I wouldn't have applied the RPUs. There were only 6 F seats left two months out. RPUs on most routes for 1Ks are useless, just moves you to the head of the CU line, still behind GS, so they are pretty worthless. Hawaii flights are the only useful place I've seen them, but we wanted to max the time there and not the chances at F seats.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Again- the fact that someone has or does not have PRe check has ZERO to do with UA IT or UA period.
My kids sure as heck aren't going to get it if UA IT splits the reservation. That is above ZERO.

Originally Posted by hughw
To sum up..........
Boarding Groups are a UA controlled...There's rarely an issue with a family member going though Premier Security and/or Boarding with someone with a higher boarding group.
PreCheck is entirely controlled by TSA....It is not guaranteed for anyone but close to a sure thing with Global Entry. Kids 12 and under can go thought with a precheck parent. Everybody else needs to go though regular or Premier security.
And the super stupid is that in that 13-18 slot, the kid can't go through security by themselves - or that is what the agent told me. So OGG, with only PRE and standard security, makes you go through standard security.

Originally Posted by findark
No, if there is an instrument applied, it will split the PNR without asking.
And I never got an email or anything. What also hacks me off is that at least one of us could have gotten an F seat, but because we all didn't clear, it left us in Y and I was a third of the way down the Upgrade list. With a broken up ITIN. My kids itins disappeared off my phone too when we landed in SFO, so if I had to try to change the connection on the fly, that would have been a mess.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
this is my experience. With regular CPU eligibility, you get asked. With an instrument applied, or a mileage upgrade appkied, if it doesn’t clear in advance, the reservation automatically splits at check in. Which isn’t necessarily what I want - when Im a gold, checking in to a hub-to-hub (say, IAD-SFO) and there’s only 2 or 3 seats left, I know no one on my PNR is going to get a seat. But I still have to split anyway.
Is it at check-in or does it do it before? I checked in over my phone and I didn't get anything odd, I could check us all in at one time. If it is at check-in, that is a complete cluster fudge bar. No reason for that to happen at that point.

An email when the R space opened would have been nice, maybe take care of it if all open F< group. Maybe if there were two, I'd split us up, or wave it off before it jacks it all up.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I typically travel alone but the last two times (over maybe 5 years), I tried to have someone else board with me in group 1, I tell the GA, the person is with me, the GA asks "Are you a GS or 1K?", I say yes, then the GA allows it. I dont know what the GA would say if I was not.
It's been a while ago but I was Gold or Platinum for years before I was 1K and I was never questioned about taking someone through my boarding group (1 or 2) if we had a separate PNR. Something else I haven't heard for quite a while, but they used to announce that people traveling together could board together with the highest boarding group of the group. (1 being highest, not 4 or 7 or whatever it was at the time).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:44 pm Reason: Splitting off OT discussion
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's been a while ago but I was Gold or Platinum for years before I was 1K and I was never questioned about taking someone through my boarding group (1 or 2) if we had a separate PNR. Something else I haven't heard for quite a while, but they used to announce that people traveling together could board together with the highest boarding group of the group. (1 being highest, not 4 or 7 or whatever it was at the time). I remember I did this more often way back when I was Silver/Gold/Plat and never had an issue.
I too recall the announcement about being able to group together with the highest group. I just distinctly recall the past two times on UA they asked if I was GS/1K. The last time was maybe 2yrs ago. I recall a thread on FT talking about this, I think someone might have been rejected for not being GS/1K. I might also have recalled hearing the question for people standing in front of me in BG1.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: splitting off OT discussion
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I've been through OGG a few times and didn't find the security to be too horrible. The precheck line was strange being part way into the line though...
That was fixed a couple of years ago. The cut-across of the regular line to enter the PreCheck line is gone. Both lines now start at same place at end of ticketing lobby.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's been a while ago but I was Gold or Platinum for years before I was 1K and I was never questioned about taking someone through my boarding group (1 or 2) if we had a separate PNR. Something else I haven't heard for quite a while, but they used to announce that people traveling together could board together with the highest boarding group of the group. (1 being highest, not 4 or 7 or whatever it was at the time).
I remember that the first time I heard the announcement that people traveling together could board together with the highest boarding group I totally misinterpreted the sentence and said to my wife:"What a nasty company" (it was on USAirways) but my wife knew that I had misinterpreted the sentence.

My wife and I always have to buy our tickets on different PNRs due to how the receipt that I need for work appears if you book both tickets together. Last year, when I was Platinum on UA (Group 1) and my wife Gold (Group 2), we never had a problem with her boarding with me, although there would be a small wait because the boarding pass scanner would say: "Wait for your boarding group or wait for group 2". The agent would look up, see that we were traveling together and click a button. We don't have anymore that small wait as we both moved one rung up the ladder.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:17 am

Applied RPUs for myself (Plat) and companion (general member) on same PNR for ORD > HNL. So there is no way not to split upon check-in? Does that mean I'll have to call to restore Plat benefits (checked bags, priority boarding) for my companion on the return OGG > SFO > ORD?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An OT discussion on Nexus has been moved to the Travel Safety/Security's Trusted Travelers forum as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...bal-entry.html

Let's return to the discussion of impacts of the splitting of PNRs while waitlisting for upgrades.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I
UA has zero control over PreCheck, period. While TSA claimed they would do away with airline status having an impact in the past, the government screwed this up like they do with pretty much anything. I recall meeting first hand with The head of TSA(Pistol?)a few years ago at a conference and everything he told never happened in practice. Step up and get your family Global Entry. Pain in the you know what for the schedule, and I sympathize, but it's worth it. OP knows boarding is a non issue with lower level flyers, he/she is focused on what sucks, and I still sympathize. OGG is so used to leisure travelers that it's annoying when you know better.
chermorg likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
..So there is no way not to split upon check-in? Does that mean I'll have to call to restore Plat benefits (checked bags, priority boarding) for my companion on the return OGG > SFO > ORD?
No need to call. They can board just board with you. Just point out those who are travelling with you when you give him/her your BP. Same on luggage - just tell bag agent that they're traveling with you. You'll have to wave an agent down to waive the bag fees on your companions. UA OGG doesn't use contractors, so anyone you see behind counter can help. Probably best to get a hold of agent before using kiosks to explain the situation. They'll be able to see that all were originally on same record.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2018 at 7:26 am Reason: speling
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I never knew that this thread was about pre-flight stuff, I thought it was for itins that lasted longer than 24 hours and they are split.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by cfischer
Strange thing happened last weekend. Traveling with my wife and at OLCI the PNR was split; nothing I could do, no option given. Strangly enough I was #1 and she was right behind me on all UG lists (she is only Silver) and we both got upgraded on 3/4 fights. Very strange, previously she would have fallen back on the list w/ her status priority but last weekend she kept mine ... weird
I had the same thing happen to me today. I checked in using the app -- no option to not split -- nothing I could do. Strangely I was #2 and companion was #3 on a pretty long list on the first flight. I'm using an RPU on this, but I really don't think that my no-status companion would still be #3 on a list that's 20+...

Unfortunately I don't think either of us is going to clear as no seats left at all in FC.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bworrell
I had the same thing happen to me today. I checked in using the app -- no option to not split -- nothing I could do. Strangely I was #2 and companion was #3 on a pretty long list on the first flight. I'm using an RPU on this, but I really don't think that my no-status companion would still be #3 on a list that's 20+...
There's no option not to split when using RPUs. Is this a CPU-elgible route? I could see a no-status RPU being #3 on a CPU route; it's tough to imagine on a non-CPU route unless #4-20 are non-rev
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no option not to split when using RPUs. Is this a CPU-elgible route? I could see a no-status RPU being #3 on a CPU route; it's tough to imagine on a non-CPU route unless #4-20 are non-rev
I'm pretty sure an auto-split companion maintains the status priority of the instrument. (Also I have a memory of several reports of the donor's status transferring in the old way, but to the visible list only.)
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.