Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
My wife and I were 1&2 on the upgrade list

st check in it split and my upgrade cleared (right away) as did 9 other people and my wife got bounced down to number 29.

my understanding is that isn’t how it supposed to work.
probably not. Would be interested in details. Was this CPU or some other kind of request (GPU, miles/money, etc.). What status are you? What status (if any) does the wife have).

my experience is that anything other than CPU will automatically split at check in, and that CPU should ask, where it clearly denotes the records will be split.

That said, I’ve always read the wording on upgrade priority to mean that companions should fall at the same priority as the higher premier member (ie, right below higher premier member on upgrade list). My experience is that if there are different status levels, or companion is no status, they won’t necessarily be right below the premier member - but could be below by several people (20 or more sounds like too many, but maybe on an elite heavy hub-hub?). My assumption was always the companions were being dropped to the bottom of the higher level premier member. Ie, on a reservation of 2, where one is a gold and another is a silver or no status, the second pax will be prioritized below all other golds, but above silvers. I’m also assuming the times I was traveling with my wife, and we were different levels (either I was plat and her gold, or I was gold, and she silver) and she was right below me), I it was a fluke of priority where I was the lowest priority gold, so she would be right behind me anyway. It’s been a couple of years since we were different levels. Currently, we typically travel as myself and wife as silver, and 1 child with no status, and seen, though with less frequency, where daughter would be several below us. The less frequency, for the most part, is because many times we don’t bother with being put on the gate upgrade list, knowing the chances are slim for any of us to clear, much less all of us. We sometimes split when it looks like a decent chance, but it has to look really good if it’s the outbound of a return trip, since that can really make checkin a PITA on the return with a child on her own record.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
probably not. Would be interested in details. Was this CPU or some other kind of request (GPU, miles/money, etc.). What status are you? What status (if any) does the wife have).

my experience is that anything other than CPU will automatically split at check in, and that CPU should ask, where it clearly denotes the records will be split.

That said, I’ve always read the wording on upgrade priority to mean that companions should fall at the same priority as the higher premier member (ie, right below higher premier member on upgrade list). My experience is that if there are different status levels, or companion is no status, they won’t necessarily be right below the premier member - but could be below by several people (20 or more sounds like too many, but maybe on an elite heavy hub-hub?). My assumption was always the companions were being dropped to the bottom of the higher level premier member. Ie, on a reservation of 2, where one is a gold and another is a silver or no status, the second pax will be prioritized below all other golds, but above silvers. I’m also assuming the times I was traveling with my wife, and we were different levels (either I was plat and her gold, or I was gold, and she silver) and she was right below me), I it was a fluke of priority where I was the lowest priority gold, so she would be right behind me anyway. It’s been a couple of years since we were different levels. Currently, we typically travel as myself and wife as silver, and 1 child with no status, and seen, though with less frequency, where daughter would be several below us. The less frequency, for the most part, is because many times we don’t bother with being put on the gate upgrade list, knowing the chances are slim for any of us to clear, much less all of us. We sometimes split when it looks like a decent chance, but it has to look really good if it’s the outbound of a return trip, since that can really make checkin a PITA on the return with a child on her own record.
I should have said I’m global services and she’s a silver.

so unless there were 15 Global’s on this flight should have been right after me for a CPU
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:14 pm

Here’s the real question op: did you take the upgrade? give it to your wife? give the upgrade back?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mctaste
Here’s the real question op: did you take the upgrade? give it to your wife? give the upgrade back?
called and complained and they fixed it and cleared the upgrade for my wife.

historically we always book my wife into the better economy seat so if only one of us upgrades my wife gets it and I get her seat
narvik and Guate87 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

historically we always book my wife into the better economy seat so if only one of us upgrades my wife gets it and I get her seat
That is my only defense when flying United. I book myself into the crappy E+ seat, put the kids into the better seats. I find it to be a real PITA every-time I fly with family...
jp12687 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:41 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

Buried the happy ending 2 replies down?
droopydog and drewguy like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Buried the happy ending 2 replies down?
mess still on the phone sorting it out when I posted originally
fastair likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by drewguy
my recent experience is that when they split the PNR at check in your companions retain the elite benefits for the return as well. 3 pax itin - split and designated child as companion. She is showing CPU requested as am I. She has her existing E+ seat and I can switch it for free, as I can for my spouse.
My more recent experience is that this may not work so well . . . split another 3 pax trip. I designated child as companion. My wife, now with silver, ended up not on the upgrade list at all, and Group 2 (not Group 1) boarding - so an odd hybrid. Silver shows on BP, but doesn't get at least that benefit. 1K desk fixed it - really not an issue as she's like 48 on waitlist anyway - but something they need to get fixed.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
I'm 1K but admittedly don't travel with others my reservation very often. I booked a ski trip with non-status friends and put them on my reservation so they get free bags and E+ seats. I also applied points for an upgrade for each person on the reservation (I always had extra RPU/GPU at the end of the year and I figured I'll have extra points at the end of this year, so I figured I should try to spread the love.) Anyway, I went to check in and was VERY careful to make sure I didn't agree to split the PNR. The option never came up and the PNR was split anyway. Now I'm in the very awkward position where 3/4 of us were upgraded.

Was the PNR automatically split because I had upgrade instruments applied? Again, I don't have a lot of experience traveling with others on one reservation. Can I prevent this from happening again or do something so the upgrade is all-or-nothing?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes - if you apply instruments, your reservation is automatically split. Only way to avoid is to pull the upgrades before checkin. (It will be all or nothing up to checkin - usually nothing, especially with 4 people, as space for 4 people would need to open.)

the good thing is 3 of 4 upgrades! Grab the best remaining E+ seat and let the friends enjoy F.
jsloan and nomad420 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:45 pm

st check in it split and my upgrade cleared (right away) as did 9 other people and my wife got bounced down to number 29.

this exact thing happened to me too. Although i'm plat.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

​​​​​​It doesn't work correctly and seems to fail in different ways depending on the exact situation.

​​Both my wife and I are 1K and always travel on the same reservation for the last two years. On the first check-in where the reservation is split, we seem to be next to each other in order (me directly ahead of her). But for subsequent flights that require checking in again, she drops down a few. Best as I can tell, based on her position relative to mine, she is being put at the bottom of the 1Ks, as if she was in the lowest fare bucket.

Different from your failure scenario but just one more example of how this process is broken.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are some indications this practice has changed, recent posts have been consolidated into No more splitting PNRs to get on the upgrade list?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2021 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.