Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Hey I need some guidance here. I'm a total noob. I booked my wife and myself for a trip this coming Christmas holiday. I'm a 1K, she's a Silver, and I applied some PlusPoints upgrades. Holiday travel is packed so we were waitlisted, although there's still some openings in F.

What do I need to do in terms of check-in?

When checking in for your outbound flight, decline auto-check-in.
What does this mean? Do I skip checking in on the app and go to the airport day of?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmo580
What do I need to do in terms of check-in?

When checking in for your outbound flight, decline auto-check-in.
What does this mean? Do I skip checking in on the app and go to the airport day of?
I have removed that comment about auto-check-in from the wiki, Auto-check-in went away 3-4 years ago.

The crucial question is do you want to upgrade if both upgrade or are you willing to have just one?

The problem is once you check-in if not yet cleared with PlusPoints applied, your PNR will be split and potentially only one may clear.

If you want to stay together, then you should delay check-in (such until at the airport) and remove the waitlist request before check-in. You follow the same pattern on the return.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have removed that comment about auto-check-in from the wiki, Auto-check-in went away 3-4 years ago.

The crucial question is do you want to upgrade if both upgrade or are you willing to have just one?

The problem is once you check-in if not yet cleared with PlusPoints applied, your PNR will be split and potentially only one may clear.

If you want to stay together, then you should delay check-in (such until at the airport) and remove the waitlist request before check-in. You follow the same pattern on the return.
Does a lot change between t-24 and say t-2? I'm almost at T-24, and my SO and I are #1 and #2 on the upgrade list with 2 seats open in F. I'm not getting my hopes up but at the same time I'm not sure what my chances are.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does a lot change between t-24 and say t-2? I'm almost at T-24, and my SO and I are #1 and #2 on the upgrade list with 2 seats open in F. I'm not getting my hopes up but at the same time I'm not sure what my chances are.
If two people change off of the flight, you may get pushed nearly immediately, checked-in or not. If it stays with 2 seats open, you'll have to wait to the gate.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, most of the time someone buys up into at least one of the seats. Sometimes people switch away, etc. There will be a lot of churn in both directions.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:12 pm

Thanks for your help. Just some follow up questions here.

1. If I wait until like T-2 and check-in, the PNR will still get split right? So really it's just waiting to see if I can get upgraded together, but if I check in via the app or at the counter, the PNR will still split?

2. Does this mean no matter what the return will be split? It's not a huge deal to me if we don't get upgraded, but what bugged me during Thanksgiving was due to equipment change (738 to 739) they bumped my SO off of E+ probably because she had no status. I would like to stay together to avoid that, with upgrade being 2nd priority.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... 1. If I wait until like T-2 and check-in, the PNR will still get split right? So really it's just waiting to see if I can get upgraded together, but if I check in via the app or at the counter, the PNR will still split? ...
if waitlisted for an upgrade, yes

...2. Does this mean no matter what the return will be split? .....
If the outboard is split, the return is split. All the traveler's flights will be on the same PNR. But if split, each will have their individual PNR.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your help. Just some follow up questions here.

1. If I wait until like T-2 and check-in, the PNR will still get split right?
So really it's just waiting to see if I can get upgraded together, but if I check in via the app or at the counter, the PNR will still split?

2. Does this mean no matter what the return will be split? It's not a huge deal to me if we don't get upgraded, but what bugged me during Thanksgiving was due to equipment change (738 to 739) they bumped my SO off of E+ probably because she had no status. I would like to stay together to avoid that, with upgrade being 2nd priority.
WineCountryUA has answered the main questions about splitting above.

If you wait to check in, you also have a chance to see if the last two seats get bought or if other people get onto the flight with higher upgrade priority than you, i.e. you may get to see whether the upgrade is a lost cause, which might prompt you to remove and avoid the split.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:40 pm

Got it. So no way to prevent splitting. Either just check in now (because F is now fulled) or remove the waitlist.

Edit: Called the 1k helpdesk and they said they couldn't remove the wait list???

Last edited by Wise-Broccoli8301; Dec 21, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: Called the 1k helpdesk and they said they couldn't remove the wait list???
After T-24, if you have a waitlisted instrument applied, it can be very difficult to remove the notation on your record that will cause the split. You could try hanging up and trying again, but you may get the same answer.

Most of the issues that have cropped up in the past due to split PNRs have been resolved; the impact isn’t as big as it used to be.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Got it. So no way to prevent splitting. Either just check in now (because F is now fulled) or remove the waitlist.

F being full is irrelevant...if the instrument is still applied, the split will still occur. There’s always a chance someone/people already booked in F cancel, no show, misconnect, etc. freeing up seats. Not guaranteed, of course, but it’s certainly possible.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Hi all, flying out on Christmas day on a redeye from IAH to FRA; the upgrade chances using PlusPoints are looking slim since the husband and i are on one PNR and there is one seat left in Polaris! I'm 1K, we are booked in H and have been at the top of the waitlist but no luck getting us both upgraded thus far.

Our itinerary includes segments on partner carriers; these partner segments are booked as the partner carriers' flights (eg., Austrian segments show up as OS, not as UA codeshares). The itinerary is on one ticket, issued by United. I've asked 1K phone reps about the consequences of splitting the husband and me onto different PNRs for the purposes of maximizing the upgrade. A few agents have said do not split PNRs when partner carriers are involved - the split sends a cancellation message to the partner carriers. Agents at both carriers need to rebook manually and can only do so if the partner hasn't sold the seats in the meantime! These agents who have advised us not to split the PNR are not aware of the auto-splitting at check-in.

Losing our seats on the partner flights due to a split PNR would be a huge headache since we are travelling during a busy travel period. How do we ensure we don't get split? I've read that some people have been split even when they have removed their GPU upgrade requests (I still have the PlusPoints upgrade request on our reservation).

Thanks all!
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:57 pm

Merry Christmas folks! We ended up checking in at the airport, which the phone agents recommended. The phone agents said the airport folks use a different system and can manage itineraries with multiple carriers.

There was one seat available when we checked in at T-2. The ticketing agent said she had never heard of passengers losing their seats on partner flights when passenger PNRs have been split. Nevertheless, because of our concern, she called a service desk who walked her through the exact steps to split us up. I ended up on the newly created PNR and our segments on the partner carriers were not affected. The process took 10 minutes. The *S husband ended up ahead of me on the waiting list and he got his upgrade.

PZ1 appeared a few different times in the days leading up to check in. In the future, I will book our flights separately when partner carriers are involved if I can’t get the PlusPoints upgrade at booking. Despite our expensive H fare tickets, only one of us cleared the upgrade list at check in.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:13 pm

MP - attempted plus points upgrade went wrong

I was flying international with my kids out of EWR today. I had booked us all together on the same itinerary. Last week I thought I’d try to upgrade with plus points and went through the upgrade process on the website. When I got to the airport we had been split into separate trips which meant my kids did not get my precheck or my boarding group. I tried to fix it with customer service and was told they had been split because of the upgrade. I didn’t have enough time to resolve it so we just went through standard security. And of course no upgrades.

I’ve tried to use CPUs / GPUs on family travel before with no ill effects. Any ideas on what I did wrong here? Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2019 at 1:39 pm Reason: moved to consolidated thread
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
. The wiki at the top explains it pretty nicely.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2019 at 1:39 pm Reason: cleanup after merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.