Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Could you give a bit more history?
Itin from EWR -> ?
You used plus points for all 4 travelers? Did they confirm in advanced or no?

If they didn't confirm in advanced, did you OCLI (on-line check in) prior to getting to the airport?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks

Thanks that’s helpful. It still doesn’t really make sense but at least I understand it now. I did this in the mobile app and I don’t remember if I had seen an option to split or not. If I had noticed it I would not have wanted to split since I’m flying with my kids.

thanks everyone! Super helpful as always.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
This is a problem I have encountered before. When traveling with kids when it splits the PNR the system thinks they are an unaccompanied minor so I have to checkin with them. A way to get around this is to not request to split the PNR at t-24
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you request an upgrade (anything other than CPU), and haven’t cleared by the time you check in, you will automatically be split, with the rationale presumably being they assume you want to still have a shot at the upgrade. It’s only for CPUs where you get a choice at check in to be put on the gate list/split or keep together without being on gate list. Not sure why the difference - if it is a technical reason or simply a choice for UA, but it seems like it is the way it is. If you clear in advance, prior to check in, there is no split.

as for pre-check, how old are the kids? If 12 and under, they should be able to come into pre-check line with you (though honestly, not sure if same record is a necessity for this - my kids both have Nexus, like us, so even with any split, they still are pretty much entitled to pre-check in their own right)
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
... A way to get around this is to not request to split the PNR at t-24
If using PlusPoints (or GPU/RPU in the past), there is no option to "decline" the split, only available for CPU waitlisting
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If using PlusPoints (or GPU/RPU in the past), there is no option to "decline" the split, only available for CPU waitlisting
right. The workaround for not being split in this case would be to call in prior to checking in to remove the upgrade request.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:22 pm

E+ for split reservations

My wife and I have a roundtrip to MEX in a few months. She is Silver and I am nothing. So if I understand correctly, if we do not get upgraded on the outbound leg before check-in and elect to be added to the airport waitlist (split PNR) then I will not be able eligible for E+ seating (or CPU) on the return? Or has United fixed this issue?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
My wife and I have a roundtrip to MEX in a few months. She is Silver and I am nothing. So if I understand correctly, if we do not get upgraded on the outbound leg before check-in and elect to be added to the airport waitlist (split PNR) then I will not be able eligible for E+ seating (or CPU) on the return? ...
No, Silvers can guest 1 traveling companion into E+ even if on a separate PNR. Will have to call at check-in to get manually moved.
Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, Silvers can guest 1 traveling companion into E+ even if on a separate PNR. Will have to call at check-in to get manually moved.
Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]
I am in the exact situation as the poster you answered... I had a CPU clear (as I silver!) on my outbound, so my PNR got split from my wife/lap infant. Now, we need to check in for the return. We will be checking bags, how do I get her the Silver free bag benefit if she's on the other PNR?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shimps1
I am in the exact situation as the poster you answered... I had a CPU clear (as I silver!) on my outbound, so my PNR got split from my wife/lap infant. Now, we need to check in for the return. We will be checking bags, how do I get her the Silver free bag benefit if she's on the other PNR?
You can't unless you also have the credit cards. You can check her bags under you; but If you go over limit, see if they will waive the fees. Never hurts to ask
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
My wife and I have a roundtrip to MEX in a few months. She is Silver and I am nothing. So if I understand correctly, if we do not get upgraded on the outbound leg before check-in and elect to be added to the airport waitlist (split PNR) then I will not be able eligible for E+ seating (or CPU) on the return? Or has United fixed this issue?
my recent experience is that when they split the PNR at check in your companions retain the elite benefits for the return as well. 3 pax itin - split and designated child as companion. She is showing CPU requested as am I. She has her existing E+ seat and I can switch it for free, as I can for my spouse.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1
... We will be checking bags, how do I get her the Silver free bag benefit if she's on the other PNR?
Very doable, it it does not happen automatically, you need to ask an agent to research the PNR history to see it was booked as a common PNR. That will lead to getting the 1st bag waiver applied.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
my recent experience is that when they split the PNR at check in your companions retain the elite benefits for the return as well. 3 pax itin - split and designated child as companion. She is showing CPU requested as am I. She has her existing E+ seat and I can switch it for free, as I can for my spouse.
Though oddly at ~ T-36 my companion disappeared from the upgrade list. At check-in she received group 1, and free checked bags, and "added to upgrade waitlist" on BP. Yet she didn't show on UG list and GA confirmed she wasn't on it. Ultimately a GA added her and the upgrade cleared, but had UA not been holding back 9 of the 11 available F seats until checkin the result might have been different. (Of course, perhaps because she would have been next on the UGWL (per the pre T-36 list) the system wouldn't generate further upgrades -- never got an explanation, just the UG.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:45 pm

Auto splitting strikes again

My wife and I were 1&2 on the upgrade list

st check in it split and my upgrade cleared (right away) as did 9 other people and my wife got bounced down to number 29.

my understanding is that isn’t how it supposed to work.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:01 pm

It shouldn’t - she should retain your status and have been #2 on list.
Guate87 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.