FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1333678-stupid-pnr-auto-splitting-t-24-needs-stop.html)

UA-NYC Apr 7, 2012 3:28 pm

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

There were 5 of us on 3 different PNRs for flights home tomorrow (done so to maximize UG chances and make sure we had bags covered). I did auto-check in for the flight home, but nowhere did I agree to split PNRs at T-24. Lo and behold, we're now on 5 different PNRs (one of whom is a minor), and of course the new ones didn't show up in my account (had to log in under their MP numbers to find the info).

How do we stop this in the future? An incredibly annoying "feature" IMO.

MojaveFlyer Apr 7, 2012 3:38 pm

I wish there was a way to just opt out of the UG mess. If I'm travelling with my wife and kid, I don't want it, I just want to sit with them. And once they get split into all the little itty bitty PNRs, all h*** breaks loose if there's any change of aircraft or irrops that requires new seat assignments. Yuck.

UA-NYC Apr 7, 2012 3:38 pm

Anyone else know how to trick this stupid system into not splitting?

aacharya Apr 7, 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 18352395)

The system asked me specifically if I wanted to split for upgrades. Are you positive you didn't see that before clicking through?

UA-NYC Apr 7, 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 18352401)
The system asked me specifically if I wanted to split for upgrades. Are you positive you didn't see that before clicking through?

I actually do remember seeing that, and specifically did NOT elect to split as 1) my PNR companion is a GM, so I wanted to keep us together, and 2) we've already been upgraded on the 1,700 mile leg and didn't need to press for an upgrade on the 400 mile leg, esp. as it's an E70 so a small Y/C delta.

DeaconFlyer Apr 7, 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 18352395)

Don't use auto-check in.

awerdna2002 Apr 7, 2012 4:45 pm

I know that calling and telling UA doesn't do squat. A couple weeks ago I was flying with my family (including 3 children). After making my reservation online I called and after being on hold FOREVER, specifically told the agent to keep me off the upgrade list so I could stay with my family. Of course, I got upgraded and couldn't get my original seat back. So once on the plane it took some juggling to get us all kinda together (there were all families around us so giving away a first class seat was a lot harder than I thought).

As I've mentioned before, I fully realize UA doesn't care about 1K's (or most any individual, for that matter), so the screw-up doesn't surprise me. I'm already at 50k qualifying miles for the year so with zero worry about keeping my status I've already started flying AA and SWA.

deek Apr 7, 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer (Post 18352556)
Don't use auto-check in.

I didn't use it and the freaking system split us (both 1K MM) anyway. Irrops ensued and we became ensnarled in a cluster of the highest order as a result.

deek

Sprezzatura Apr 7, 2012 9:36 pm

I also hate the auto-split. Why is it so hard to keep two pax on one PNR?

cmculp Apr 7, 2012 10:18 pm

Agree - this is a cluster

My former 1P now GM son and I got split in the process of going SEA-SFO-HNL last month. The result was that I got upgraded and he didn't and I couldn't decline it and stay seated with him. OK - he got NF and I got exit row. Bad as the "1 traveling companion on the same PNR" rule was clearly violated.

Problem: once split, the PNRs are split. So the return was a cluster in every possible way. Is this a pmCO thing?? No matter, it NEEDS TO STOP.:td::mad::td:

entropy Apr 7, 2012 10:25 pm

I also hate the auto-split. Why is it so hard to keep two pax on one PNR?
Why? because CO's vastly inferior SHARES system can't handle >1 person on a record for EUA purposes.

spgaston Apr 7, 2012 10:33 pm

+1
traveling with partner who is also gold, upgrade confusion on board after we had already boarded in coach. Both asked if we wanted to move up front at separate times after we were seated in exit row. Both declined individually but had we known we probably both should have been upgraded. Checked return today and our res is split without permission. Declined auto check in on return. What a pita.

hmy1 Apr 7, 2012 11:27 pm

The PNR auto-splitting was amusing a couple weeks ago when I travelled with my infant daughter who had her own seat. I got upgraded and she was stuck in coach. Resulted in more work for the check-in agent to fix. Same thing happened on the return, since the PNR was already split.

twoaisleplane Apr 8, 2012 12:08 am

Wasn't aware of this. Does the system still split the PNR if both passengers have been upgraded prior to T-24?

And after the split, does the non-elite passenger still get placed on the upgrade list? If so, is it based on the status of the elite member?

lax2010 Apr 8, 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by twoaisleplane (Post 18353894)
Wasn't aware of this. Does the system still split the PNR if both passengers have been upgraded prior to T-24?

And after the split, does the non-elite passenger still get placed on the upgrade list? If so, is it based on the status of the elite member?

IME, after split, the non-elite pax does not get placed on the upgrade list automatically. A request to add a companion to the upgrade list on the day of travel usually is met with the response "you can't do it" because the UC agent or the gate agent does not know how to to do it.