Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No to the baggage allowance and Group 1, but you can have them board with you and either check in together (explain the situation) or put all the bags on your PNR (unless you have more than 6 bags). I would split before T-96 if trying to get the upgrade.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Not really sure if this is the correct thread, but recently did standby on a flight (wasn't successful), and my PNR was split. There was no warning screen like when you are checking in and getting battle field upgrade. Both my traveling partner and I were already upgraded (therefore I wouldn't have split our reservation knowingly because now on the return leg we are not together on same PNR).

Anyone else experience this? Anything I can do to get them on same PNR again?
Old May 3, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Not really sure if this is the correct thread, but recently did standby on a flight (wasn't successful), and my PNR was split. There was no warning screen like when you are checking in and getting battle field upgrade.
Any type of standby -- for an upgrade or for a different flight -- will split the reservation, as standby is cleared one-at-a-time.

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Anything I can do to get them on same PNR again?
No.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Duke777
Pretty sure my partner maintained my 1K status when we split the PNR last weekend on our return flights. She was right after me on the upgrade list as a gold. Hard to believe there was no one in between, especially on an L fate with 18 people on the upgrade list (not standbys). This would be a nice change.
That has been my recent experience as well.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
How to prevent autosplitting on an RPU

3 of us travelling on a two-leg itinerary with RPU applied. Upgrade on the first leg cleared, but not on the second one. I intend to call to prevent auto-splitting upon checkin. What are the magic words I should use, add "do not upgrade flag"? If they add that flag will that prevent auto-splitting or do they need to somehow cancel the upgrade request? It's a 1-hour connection so really want to avoid the split.

When is the best time to call? Currently it shows 14/20 booked in flight status. I figure that at T(second leg)-24hrs we will either clear or there will be less than 3 seats available.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Why do you need to stop autosplitting?

Not sure why the connection time matters.

The reservation is split not the itinerary.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:58 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why do you need to stpp autosplitting?

Not aure why the connection time mayyrrs.

The reservation is split not the itinerary.
In case we miss the connection, splitting could cause a mess. Especially that one of the three is a child.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
In case we miss the connection, splitting could cause a mess. Especially that one of the three is a child.
Not really, while there might be a remote possibility of being auto-re-booked seperately, it is easily addressed.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not really, while there might be a remote possibility of being auto-re-booked seperately, it is easily addressed.
The last time this happened, we wanted to do an SDC and it wasn't straightforward. Plus no online checkin for the child on separate reservation.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time this happened, we wanted to do an SDC and it wasn't straightforward. Plus no online checkin for the child on separate reservation.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to want to split a PNR. This is one of them.

Anyway, call in at least 25 hours prior to departure, just to be on the safe side. Ask to have the RPU removed from the second leg but preserved on the first leg. Just indicate that you want to make sure you're not upgraded separately due to the child on the reservation. If they argue, say that it's happened to you in the past and you don't want it to happen again; if they argue a second time, hang up politely and call again; some arguments aren't worth winning.

It's challenging for an agent to remove the "split for upgrade at checkin" instruction once it's in place, so it's better to call before your record is annotated in the first place.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to want to split a PNR. This is one of them.

Anyway, call in at least 25 hours prior to departure, just to be on the safe side. Ask to have the RPU removed from the second leg but preserved on the first leg. Just indicate that you want to make sure you're not upgraded separately.
I would say this makes sense as OP also seems to want to use SDC or other aspects. Else just checking in at the airport would be my recommendation.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, those are good reasons to avoid split PNR. SDC will then require an agent's help -- as does the rebooking in irrops. On the child reservation, many just book the child as an adult and avoid the issue -- it will only be a problem if the child actually tried to board without an adult, which I suspect you would not do.

There is a lot of "fear" of split PNRs. They can lead to issues but those are generally handleable without much effort (for elites). The best reason not to split is, IMO, you do not want to sit in separate cabins -- all or none for the upgrades.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:49 pm

Currently it shows 14/20 booked in flight status. I figure that at T(second leg)-24hrs we will either clear or there will be less than 3 seats available.
Waited until T-24 and we cleared, so won't find out how hard it would have been to explain to an agent what I wanted.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Anyway, call in at least 25 hours prior to departure, just to be on the safe side. Ask to have the RPU removed from the second leg but preserved on the first leg.
Any reason for the 25 hrs? I waited until T-24, because a bunch of seats open up and it paid off this time. But just curious what happens at T-24 that will make it harder to prevent autosplitting (assuming of course that I don't check in). I know you can't apply an instrument within 24hrs, but can you not remove one either?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 8, 2019 at 6:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any reason for the 25 hrs? I waited until T-24, because a bunch of seats open up and it paid off this time. But just curious what happens at T-24 that will make it harder to prevent autosplitting (assuming of course that I don't check in). I know you can't apply an instrument within 24hrs, but can you not remove one either?
At about T-24, reservations that are on the waitlist get processed in such a way that they'll automatically split when check-in occurs. It can be difficult to find an agent who knows exactly how to remove that notation so that you can check in cleanly. (Actually having the upgrade clear does remove it, which is why you weren't split when you checked in after you'd already been upgraded).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:45 pm

1K flying with my non-status SO tomorrow, IAD-YYZ. We have not cleared at T-24, and there is only 1 seat in first available, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to delay check-in. While we don't mind sitting separately in case the upgrade clears, are there any risks/considerations on the return if she doesn't have status? *G Fast Track or anything else like that, that may not be printed on her boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.