Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I've traveled international longhaul 4 times in the past 4 months with multiple non-premier companions on my pnr. All 4 check-ins resulted in my companions getting Premier Access, BG1, and Precheck. No attempts at applying instruments.
The bolded portion is the key
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by PushingTin
It’s all jacked and they wouldn’t fix it. OGG is a ghetto airport. Got through security.

They implied I jacked with the reservation. What I think happened was a had RPUs from time of booking. A couple of weeks ago we didn’t get upgraded, but the app had new ‘shadow’ enteries about R space upgrade requested. They never cleared. I bet they split the res when some R opened up, but not enough for all of us. We get all lumped back together, and they lost the connection.

So, on this flight my seats were previously jacked around with, had my upgrades taken away, had my Pre for my family jacked with and dismissed by the counter staff. Great work there United. A fine follow up to our flight out where 2 of our seat back screens didn’t work, the on demand didn’t work on Macs, and the app kept on freezing movies- a great 8 hours to start the trip. Way to bookend it for me.
So.. you're mad because exactly what is expected (a reservation split when upgrade instruments went to gate list) happened, and mad because United is following TSA regulations which only guarantee PreCheck to members of the related programs? United did everything they were supposed to. They are not just going to grant PreCheck to anyone who comes up asking for it - it is a risk based assessment not done at the airport during check in, and likely not even doable by phone agents prior. As for group 1, if your boarding pass printed with it, there is no sense for them to hassle with the others as you'll be able to take them with you. Same with Premier security.

The only time this could possibly be a problem is if they didn't give you the bag waivers you qualify for. But even then that should have been an easy fix, and it doesn't seem like you are complaining about that.

If your family is not enrolled in PreCheck, it was not jacked" from you. You have no right to expect it - there is hint that UA may take the time and assessment to extend benefits "randomly" to companions of premiers on same reservation, but that is not a guarantee and you should not expect it. They are not entitled to PreCheck as someone enrolled in a program would be.
Juventini and HawkeyeFlyer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chermorg
So.. you're ... mad because United is following TSA regulations which only guarantee PreCheck to members of the related programs?
There is no program that you can be a member of that guarantees PreCheck.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP lost me when he used the word "ghetto" to refer to OGG. A "ghetto" is defined as "a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups." So, which minority group is it that offends OP and caused his misery?

UA does not "grant" Pre-Check. TSA authorizes it.

If OP wants Pre-Check for his 13 YOA, he should apply for it,

OP got exactly what is to be expected and none of it was particularly awful.
Aussienarelle and chermorg like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
There is no program that you can be a member of that guarantees PreCheck.
​​​​​​You are right it would be better to say it guarantees consideration for PreCheck. If you aren't enrolled, you aren't guaranteed consideration. If you are enrolled, you're guaranteed consideration but may not receive it for many reasons.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I have some sympathy for the OP, as OGG can be a long wait for security. The how and when UA decides to split a reservation is super annoying as well. Most staff can figure this out, some cannot. Either way, it adds to the frustration. This thread is also a reminder to myself to get my kids Global Entry this year, as the oldest turns 13 in Dec. I have it, as does my wife, but we are on borrowed time with the kids with regard to precheck.
chermorg likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have some sympathy for the OP, as OGG can be a long wait for security...
I have less sympathy for frequent travelers who know security can be a PITA and not cough up for Pre. $85 for 5 years. $1.42/mo. Come on...

Travel can already be stressful for some people. Knowing you and your fellow travelers have a KTN associated w/ their reservation lessens some of that stress.
COSPILOT, Often1 and chermorg like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:28 am Reason: speling
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I have less sympathy for frequent travelers who know security can be a PITA and not cough up for Pre. $85 for 5 years. $1.42/mo. Come on...

Travel cam already be stressful for some people. Knowing you and your fellow travelers have a KTN associated w/ their reservation lessens some of that stress.
Which is why this thread reminded me to sign up the kiddo's for GE soon. OGG overall isn't a bad airport, but security can be a pain.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not true. UA has NOTHING to do with the Pre-Check. In fact it is a marketing scheme that TSA does by giving it to you occasionally so you get used to it and will buy it when you don't. This is not something to be upset with United about

My guess is they started on the same PNR.....THEN, they wanted the best shot at upgrades so they allowed it to be split and didn't realize this may happen

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by PushingTin

Of course. But if he doesn’t have premier, he’ll have to go regular security, or I skip pre and take him premier.

All this because UA’s IT sucks.
Again- the fact that someone has or does not have PRe check has ZERO to do with UA IT or UA period.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
To sum up..........
Boarding Groups are a UA controlled...There's rarely an issue with a family member going though Premier Security and/or Boarding with someone with a higher boarding group.
PreCheck is entirely controlled by TSA....It is not guaranteed for anyone but close to a sure thing with Global Entry. Kids 12 and under can go thought with a precheck parent. Everybody else needs to go though regular or Premier security.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
When you checkin, does it ask you if you want to split the reservation? Typically when one person has status and the other does not. Maybe the wrong selection was made, that would be the passenger's fault if that was the cause of the issue.

As for security, I do understand the dilemma. If I have status and precheck, and my companion has neither, I can either do precheck and wait for my companion in regular security, or go together to premier. I've never actually tried taking a companion into the premier line past the check, then leaving to goto the precheck line. Maybe this works too.

I've been through OGG a few times and didn't find the security to be too horrible. The precheck line was strange being part way into the line though.

I typically travel alone but the last two times (over maybe 5 years), I tried to have someone else board with me in group 1, I tell the GA, the person is with me, the GA asks "Are you a GS or 1K?", I say yes, then the GA allows it. I dont know what the GA would say if I was not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: splitting off OT discussion
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
When you checkin, does it ask you if you want to split the reservation? Typically when one person has status and the other does not.
No, if there is an instrument applied, it will split the PNR without asking.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by eng3
When you checkin, does it ask you if you want to split the reservation? Typically when one person has status and the other does not. Maybe the wrong selection was made, that would be the passenger's fault if that was the cause of the issue..
Wife and I both waitlisted for J on a TATL flight using miles. (i.e booked saver Y, miles pulled for J). Both of us are *Gold. My waitlist came through, her's didn't, and the PNR was automatically split.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
No, if there is an instrument applied, it will split the PNR without asking.
this is my experience. With regular CPU eligibility, you get asked. With an instrument applied, or a mileage upgrade appkied, if it doesn’t clear in advance, the reservation automatically splits at check in. Which isn’t necessarily what I want - when Im a gold, checking in to a hub-to-hub (say, IAD-SFO) and there’s only 2 or 3 seats left, I know no one on my PNR is going to get a seat. But I still have to split anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.