Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
So my wife just got my 1k status b/c I am 1mm. We are flying ORD-DCA and we didnt' select auto-checkin. I did it manually.

She's 1 on upgrade list.
I'm 2.

Only one seat left and she got it.

I keep trying to understand this when it happens but always scratching my head.

Any reason why she got listed higher on the upgrade list? I booked the tickets together mine and then she's number 2 on the booking. Her Name is higher up in the alphabet (both first and last). She also has a FF number that's higher up the alphabet. Know that shouldn't matter but I'm just wondering....

This happens EVERY time we book and are put on the upgrade list.
Since status and fare are the same, for the visible upgrade list, the check-in order will matter.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my wife just got my 1k status b/c I am 1mm.
This happens EVERY time we book and are put on the upgrade list.
Why do you think you should be ahead of her on the upgrade list?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Why do you think you should be ahead of her on the upgrade list?
I assume this is some sort of FT humor but let me oblige.

Because I flew 1mm and she flew 30k.
Because I "decided" to share my status with her.
Because I showed my loyalty to UA with the BIS miles.
Because I booked and paid for the freaking ticket.

Other than that... no reason at all.

I was happy she got the upgrade and let her take it, but if I book a ticket on the same PNR with a colleague and they are 1K I would be absolutely P***ED if they got my upgrade.

I'm just trying to deconstruct this..
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Since status and fare are the same, for the visible upgrade list, the check-in order will matter.
I checked in together using the app online. Are the "checkins" listed alpha? I faintly think they might be.... If that's the case I am probably out of luck unless she changes her name to Xray Zebra or something..
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other than that... no reason at all.

I was happy she got the upgrade and let her take it, but if I book a ticket on the same PNR with a colleague and they are 1K I would be absolutely P***ED if they got my upgrade.

I'm just trying to deconstruct this..
A 1K is a 1K is a 1K no matter how you got it. So it would come down to tie breakers. Was she checked in first, then you? Was her ticket number 1 less than yours. Just because you gave her your 1K status due to being MM as far as UA is concerned she is just another 1K with no more and no less being entitled to things for 1K's than you. And even if you had gotten the upgrade woudn't you have given it to her anyways
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the master upgrade computer cares about these...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Is her ticket number one lower than yours always?

Assumption is that you are:

Equal in status, fare class, check-in time.

The next tie-breaker might just be ticket number or last name.
Good questions. I looked online and funny thing, only my ticket number shows. Maybe the PNR got split. Let me investigate and revert. Again, thanks!

We are indeed equal in status (now b/c of 1mm gift). We check in at same time.

My last name will never trump hers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I looked online and funny thing, only my ticket number shows. ....
look at BP, ticket number is there

... We check in at same time. .....
Nearly the same time -- each checkin is individually assigned a SEQ number also on the BP (printed BP - upper right hand corner)
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
No longer possible to opt out of auto-splitting?

I was on a 3-passenger international PNR with 2 1Ks and 1 Gold member, waitlisted with GPUs on the return leg. On the outbound leg, I used the united app to check in on my phone, because it needed to photograph the passports. I was careful to deselect the "automatically check in for return flight" option before having them email me my boarding passes.

Unfortunately, united split my PNR anyway! I'm so angry about this, because now it raises the possibility that only some pax will get upgraded on the way back, which would be a disaster. (We can't fly in different cabins, and currently have seats together in coach that I'm afraid we'd lose.) I spoke to the 1K desk, and they told me the only way to avoid auto-splitting now is to check in at the airport. So my questions, if anyone can answer them:
  • Is it really true that on-line check-in is now completely prohibited if you want to avoid splitting a PNR?
  • What will the upgrade priority be for the gold member of my reservation? The 1K desk told me that person would now be ranked behind all 1K pax but ahead of all platinum. I'm so angry about this, because I paid extra money just to have a shot at everyone upgrading with my status. United's web site says, "If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation." So basically the third pax has now lost that priority, and will be behind a 1K on even on a K fare. On the outbound, we had the top three upgrade priority slots (which I thought was weird since we shouldn't have been eligible for a gate upgrade, but I never got any mail about the split PNRs).
  • Any suggestions on what to do if only some of the upgrades clear? Will I lose the GPU? Or lose the seats in coach? Or be charged an unaccompanied minor fee (other pax are children)?
  • Any other suggestions on what to do?

The 1K desk refused to refare my itinerary, which I guess is understandable, but there was way cheaper non-GPU-eligible inventory available even up to my departure date.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Just experienced this for the first time, and can't wait to try to explain it to my wife.

Details:
  • Flying p.s. tomorrow on the same PNR
  • 2 RPUs waitlisted, nothing clears prior to check-in
  • At some point after check-in, I notice that reservation has been split (without my consent) and I'm upgraded while she isn't
  • Just checked again and BF is now full, while she's still sitting on the waitlist

Any recourse at this point?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Just experienced this for the first time, and can't wait to try to explain it to my wife.

Details:
  • Flying p.s. tomorrow on the same PNR
  • 2 RPUs waitlisted, nothing clears prior to check-in
  • At some point after check-in, I notice that reservation has been split (without my consent) and I'm upgraded while she isn't
  • Just checked again and BF is now full, while she's still sitting on the waitlist

Any recourse at this point?
You should be able to move back to Y if that's your preference. The general rule is that original fare bucket must be available, but good chance they waive that if you explain you never intended to split the PNR. (And they can do this at the airport without the need for supervisor approval.)

Can you still get the seat next to your wife in Y? Maybe you should just give her the upgrade? (and btw, my GF would never believe this was a mistake )
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
....At some point after check-in, I notice that reservation has been split (without my consent) and I'm upgraded while she isn't...
Bury in the checkin process, it asks if you want to be waitlisted at the gate, if you answer yes, it will/must split the PNR. The gate waitlisting process can only handle single person PNRs.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K (effective 11/18/16), Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I've never tried not splitting before. The app seems to tell me that if I don't split, then we don't qualify for upgrades.

Had a gate agent once recommend that we only apply the FF number of the higher-ranked traveler on the reservation -- i.e., make a separate traveler for your spouse/s.o. without his/her MP number. Then it will treat that person as a pure companion, and not try to treat them as a premier member for their own upgrade. OF course, then you have to send in the paper boarding passes for mileage credit later, etc.

I try asking every time, why will you not simply honor the terms of the program I qualified for?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wjb1969
I've never tried not splitting before. The app seems to tell me that if I don't split, then we don't qualify for upgrades.
Correct - if you don't split, you are not able to upgrade through the gate upgrade list.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wjb1969
I try asking every time, why will you not simply honor the terms of the program I qualified for?
Bet the agents love that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.