Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My Son (General Member) and I are on the same PNR. Flight tomorrow has no chance of UG so I decided not to split. I called Web Support as the APP is not working correctly with 2 people on the same PNR (I digress)

However, I did discuss the splitting. Seems in Irrops "the computer" may seperate us. And he "may" loose his E+ if split. They said its a known issue and just call in as they have ways to get the E+ back if needed.

As to adding, never thought about that one..

Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:29 am

I'm travelling on the same reservation as my wife who is 1K on an award ticket, if we split the PNR she will be eligible for an complimentary upgrade because she is the primary on a chase-united CC.

From the top post, it seems all we have to do is have United auto-check in for the reservation to be split. Can somebody confirm exactly how I get the reservation to split into 2 PNRs?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by kymiller
I'm travelling on the same reservation as my wife who is 1K on an award ticket, if we split the PNR she will be eligible for an complimentary upgrade because she is the primary on a chase-united CC.

From the top post, it seems all we have to do is have United auto-check in for the reservation to be split. Can somebody confirm exactly how I get the reservation to split into 2 PNRs?
It will happen automatically.. At online check in, have her tick the box to apply for an upgrade. The record will split (only in the sense of a different PNR) she can still print your boarding pass and you will still see premier status on yours. Just did this a week or so back with my son and he retained Premier Access and Group 1 boarding as well.. Safe Travels
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
It will happen automatically.. At online check in, have her tick the box to apply for an upgrade. The record will split (only in the sense of a different PNR) she can still print your boarding pass and you will still see premier status on yours. Just did this a week or so back with my son and he retained Premier Access and Group 1 boarding as well.. Safe Travels
Thanks, I checked in and noticed the option to have my wife added to the upgrade list...
Old May 17, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
My wife and I are two no status pax on saver C "mixed cabin" awards.
We are on one PNR SAN-DEN-ORD-FCO and a separate PNR FCO-IAD-LAX-SAN.
Segments DEN-ORD on the outbound and LAX-SAN on the return are XN waitlisted for I. There is IN1/I1 availability for LAX-SAN.
Is there any downside to splitting award PNRs to get I seats singly instead of waiting for IN2/I2?
Old May 17, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hiyo
My wife and I are two no status pax on saver C "mixed cabin" awards.
We are on one PNR SAN-DEN-ORD-FCO and a separate PNR FCO-IAD-LAX-SAN.
Segments DEN-ORD on the outbound and LAX-SAN on the return are XN waitlisted for I. There is IN1/I1 availability for LAX-SAN.
Is there any downside to splitting award PNRs to get I seats singly instead of waiting for IN2/I2?
Minimal. In cases of IRROPs, you in theory could be on different flights/not seated together. But a talk with any agent will fix it.

In your case, non-status...I'd split. Note you probably have the credit card, and can book XN, but that doesn't cover IN. Good to see I1 is open, so you can get that immediately.

But I'd call in to see if they charge you for that reticketing - by the book, it's changing cabins - so don't split until you confirm no fee, and have them split and reticket. Not worth it for that ride.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
WIKI Clarification

I am looking for clarification of the WIKI. WIKI recommended practice is:

4. Wait as long as possible to check in for your return flight.
Is this true also for the originating flight as well? I assume it is but found it odd that this is only mentioned for return flight.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The logic would follow on the originating flight as well, if you choose to be together (i.e. not split the reservation). That way the advance upgrade could run, and if two seats open, they're yours.

If you're willing to split the reservation, do it at T-24. I do, since the wife doesn't mind sitting upfront while I'm in the back. (I'm the 1K, but I know the adage of a happy wife).
Old May 26, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Split with return upgrade already cleared?

Hi All -

I've got a RT coming up this weekend for two of us (I'm a 1K and my wife has no status for a few more months). We've both been upgraded for the return, but there is only one seat in F remaining on the outbound.

I'm guessing the marriage-friendly answer here is to not split the res, thus taking us out of the mix for the outbound, right? Would splitting the reservation have any effect on the already-upgraded return flight?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jcg20
Hi All -

I've got a RT coming up this weekend for two of us (I'm a 1K and my wife has no status for a few more months). We've both been upgraded for the return, but there is only one seat in F remaining on the outbound.

I'm guessing the marriage-friendly answer here is to not split the res, thus taking us out of the mix for the outbound, right? Would splitting the reservation have any effect on the already-upgraded return flight?

Thanks!
No. If you're already upgraded for the return, then splitting won't affect that.

Whatever you guys do for the outbound is probably best for you to figure out together. If you definitely don't want to split up, then don't do the split. My policy if there is a decent chance we may both be upgraded, I'll split, if not, I won't. Even when it is just us. Traveling with a lap infant these days, it really isn't a good idea for us to split up if we can avoid it. If we split and one of us clears, I'll usually just decline at the gate.

Originally Posted by aacharya
The logic would follow on the originating flight as well, if you choose to be together (i.e. not split the reservation). That way the advance upgrade could run, and if two seats open, they're yours.

If you're willing to split the reservation, do it at T-24. I do, since the wife doesn't mind sitting upfront while I'm in the back. (I'm the 1K, but I know the adage of a happy wife).
I've tried that before, and wife really doesn't like doing that...don't know why.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:13 am

Advice Please

Hi everyone - appreciate your input. Flying on a RT Saver Economy Award with a stopover for my Wedding then onto the Honeymoon. I'm UA Gold, Fiancé (soon to be wife) is UA Silver and primary UA CC holder.

Here's the itinerary:

IAH-XNA (Stopover for the wedding) on ERJ 175
XNA-IAH-EWR-LIS
LIS-IAD (7 hour layover)-IAH

IAH-XNA segment tomorrow is wide open in F (6 seats - no one has been upgraded at T-72/48/24) on the 175, but only she is eligible for it. I realize this is a short hop, so sitting up front isn't really a huge deal. I'm leaning towards declining more concerned with us staying on the reservation in case we need to make changes - particularly on the outbound to LIS, and the chance of a SDC when we're in IAD on the return.

Questions:
- Is there any way that either of us gets upgraded before the flight goes over to gate control? Or can neither of us since we're both not eligible and on the same PNR (so in other words, should we wait to check-in, or doesn't it matter)? Assume this answer would be the same for all of the domestic segments.
- Would you agree that it makes more sense to keep a single PNR and decline the possible upgrade?
- Any chance that if F remains nearly empty and no upgrade list that a friendly gate agent would upgrade a Silver and Gold on an award flight heading to their wedding if we asked?
- Any other suggestions?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Q: On my originating flight I declined the auto split, and declined the auto check in (i think). Does this mean that the Do Not Upgrade flag was placed on my return flight? I did this at the airport kiosk. How can/should I confirm this? Online it does say CPU Requested for the return flight.

Thank you for the advice.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Q: On my originating flight I declined the auto split, and declined the auto check in (i think). Does this mean that the Do Not Upgrade flag was placed on my return flight? I did this at the airport kiosk. How can/should I confirm this? Online it does say CPU Requested for the return flight.

Seems to me you have the right formula for both PAX to qualify for the CPU on the return. Why do you think a flag was placed? Safe Travels
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green

IME, this used to be the case, but not anymore.

I can't test this for my weekend flight, since I've already been upgraded on both return segments, however, in the last several months, maybe almost year now, if I decline the split on the outbound, and we are not upgraded on both segments in advance, I'm asked again when checking in for the return which passengers would like to be added to the list, and IME, did it on the return and it worked fine (we were on the list...don't recall if we cleared, but definitely were added).

Also, IME, the do not upgrade flag, when it was used, was for the upgrade standby list only. Back when this was an issue, I remember one trip where I declined the split on the outbound, but for the return, and after the outbound was complete, I got CPU'd in advance. For the second segment, we were not on the upgrade list and no way to split when we checked in.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
So...I'm really confused with a lot of this so I have a simple question about a CPU on an upcoming flight.

I'm 1K and I'm flying on award travel that I booked for me and two pax who have no status. I booked us in one reservation. We're flying IAD-LAX on Thursday.

Right now, there's plenty of F availability, though I know we'll be low on the totem pole being that this is award travel. Do I need to do anything in particular to maximize our upgrade chances, or do I have to specifically *not* do something that could cause us to lose an upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.