Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: United 1K
I had this problem for a flight leaving this morning (2P flying with GM wife, checked in yesterday morning). Just more data for y'all.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry

Where the price difference is negligible I've resolved to purchase two one-ways instead of a round trip to avoid this very problem. The PNR split just causes far too much hassle.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
One more data point for the group:

When my wife, daughter, infant daughter, and I traveled outbound 11/21 for Thanksgiving, I specifically asked NOT to be put on the upgrade list and NOT to split the record. There were no seats left up front, so why bother splitting to go on the upgrade list when no one will clear anyway? That worked fine -- because I did it myself at the kiosk at SFO.

Fast forward to 11/24 when we flew home...in DAY, the kiosks are for carry-on only, so you check in with an agent when you're checking a bag (as we were). Click, click, click...then the agent says "so you're the only one traveling?" I pointed to the other three lovely ladies next to me and indicated we were all traveling together. The agent said, "well, you and the infant are the only ones in here." He had to call someone over to help him, and he asked the other agent, "Why is it asking me about upgrades? It never asked me about that before." Turns out he split the record (despite my instructions NOT to), and couldn't figure out how to check in the other two ticketed passengers on the reservation after he split them out!

That was a minor irritation because it was solved in 5 minutes, but then (exactly as predicted), the united.com Club credit only posted for my ticket, not for the other two tickets on the original record. So I called UA this morning, explained that the record had been split and so I only received credit for one ticket instead of three, and I needed credit for the other two tickets. The woman on the phone tried to tell me that the $5 credit in my TravelBank was $5 per record, not $5 per ticket...despite the Web site specifically saying in several places that the $5 is awarded per ticket purchased. Ugh. So she puts me on hold to ask someone about it, comes back 10 minutes later, and says "okay, I've confirmed that it is per ticket, and yours came through, but I don't know why the other two tickets didn't come through. So we'll process this as a one-time exception." Ummm, I just told you why the credit for the other two tickets didn't come through. And why is this a "one-time exception" when it happens literally every time someone splits a record?

I know this is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's an irritation to have to spend 15 or 20 minutes on the phone to chase this stuff down every time we go somewhere. Why is this such a hard thing to fix? Why don't people answering the phone on the elite line know the company's policies on things like this that are front and center on the united.com Club page on the Web site: "Your $25 annual membership fee gets you $5 back on every ticket you purchase at united.com". Not every reservation, every ticket. It couldn't be clearer.

Ah, well. At least it got fixed in the end. Thanks for indulging my venting for a bit.

Edit 1/4/13: actually, it hasn't been fixed, after four phone calls... So now I'll try submitting ticket numbers and record locators on Premier Voice and see if that makes any difference. I tried calling today, and I'd had enough after being transferred to four different people and no one could help (even though they could see the problem).

Last edited by dmach; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:35 am Reason: updated information
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Split PNRs: Something I can't seem to comprehend...

Hello FTers,

I have flown a LAS-EWR segment a month ago under the same confirmation as my companion. I am a Platinum and she is a "no status", general member.

As expected we got on the upgrade list and eventually got the first class upgrade CPU.

Now, we are going back to LAS, departing from LGA via ORD.
When I checked in online it offered me that it will either separate me from my companion (put her under a different confirmation number) and put me onto the upgrade list OR
It will not separate me but none of us will be added to the upgrade list...

HOW ON EARTH IS THAT POSSIBLE???? I thought me and another member can be upgraded using CPU.... At least that was the case flying the LAS-EWR segment. Now it is not possible? On top of that got a Zone 2 boarding which I have not received for quite a while now...

Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

PS: Sorry, I just noticed that I put this into the Pre-Merger forum... Mods, feel free to move me

Last edited by sfoboy85; Dec 4, 2012 at 7:20 am
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Call In.

Call United Reservations.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
I know....

Originally Posted by revigik
Call United Reservations.
I know... that would be my only solution but I can not... for some unspecified reason
But thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Read the current split PNR/companion upgrade forum.

This is normal and your companion will still get on the list.

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 4, 2012 at 8:19 am
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Read the current split PNR/companion upgrade forum.

This is normal and your companion will still get on the list.
You mean we both still get on the upgrade list if I only select myself to be on the upgrade list? (I doubt because I think they will just put her onto a different confirmation number)

OR
Now that I did not select myself, we will still get on the upgrade list?
(Just because we are not on the list.... )
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by sfoboy85
You mean we both still get on the upgrade list if I only select myself to be on the upgrade list? (I doubt because I think they will just put her onto a different confirmation number)

OR
Now that I did not select myself, we will still get on the upgrade list?
(Just because we are not on the list.... )
Check both you and your companion. The companion will be put on the upgrade list with your priority. There were lots of problems with it earlier in the year but recently it has worked. We didn't get upgraded but we were in the proper place on the list.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by scruffair
Check both you and your companion. The companion will be put on the upgrade list with your priority. There were lots of problems with it earlier in the year but recently it has worked. We didn't get upgraded but we were in the proper place on the list.
Unfortunately, we are not. On this very same itinerary LAS-EWR we got put on the upgrade list and then we were upgraded, no problem.
This time it wanted me to either only select myself for the upgrade list or no one.
Since I did not want to get separated from my companion I hit no one (since I did not want separation of any sort). As a result, none of us are on the upgrade list.
I do not know why the system is having such a hard time and why it only offered me or noone to be put on the upgrade list....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Split PNRs: Something I can't seem to comprehend...

You could split the record, and then go to the counter at LGA and have your companion added as such in the system, and they would get the same priority as you.

What baffled me, since I haven't run into this before, is that despite clearing CPU at the window on my outbound last weekend,, still got asked at checkin to split or not. Is this how the system is designed? Would think that since the CPU cleared, it should assume that we don't need to be added to the list for the outbound, and if we have uncleared segment for the return, then it would be relevant to ask it at that point.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
As a pre-merger UA 1K/GS, this is process difficult to fathom. They require you to split the itinerary so that one of you could be upgraded first? Pre-merger UA's system worked just fine and this continental process is not very intelligent.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
What baffled me, since I haven't run into this before, is that despite clearing CPU at the window on my outbound last weekend,, still got asked at checkin to split or not. Is this how the system is designed?
(emphasis mine)

That's a strong word there. I wouldn't call it designed so much as implemented.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
There's a thread called 'The stupid auto-splitting of reservations needs to stop'.

Maybe somebody can link to it.

Amazing that this is still going on. In the event of irrops, it takes families 2-4x as long to get rebooked as the agent pounds away on the keyboard. Aw, the wonders of SHARES.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:36 am

At Dulles today, despite me checking no to splitting on the kiosk, the agent had to do it to get the system to issue bag tags due to some kind of glitch.

She said she was sorry but knew about the problem and said she didn't have a choice.

It was clear she was frustrated and said SHARES justs wants everyone on a single person PNR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.