Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm talking both. In both instances, one of us cleared CPU (aka pre-OLCI "list") and the other didn't showing that once split, the record is no longer tied to one another for CPU purposes. That's what was been asked about.
I don't think the question was whether the two reservations remain "stuck" together and only get upgraded together. The question, as I understood it, was whether the split-off PNR still has the higher status and can be pre-OLCI-CPU'd based on it. The fact that one of you got CPU'd and one of you didn't doesn't answer that question, so far as I can tell.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I rarely travel with anyone on the PNR with me but will soon. My question: Does splitting occur when on an award itin?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not hard to know. The answer is no.

Late March last year, first post-merger trip - split record on the outbound. Wife and I came home - I was a gold at the time, she was silver. I got upgraded for both flights at T-48. She got upgraded for the first segment at T-24 and not beforehand for the connecting segment. I had to add her as a companion (and actually, had to do it at the connecting airport because the PMUA staff at the origin didn't know how). Wife went up several spots to 1 on the airport lost and got the last F seat.

In Dec last year split on the outbound. Return on New Year's Day flight, wife had made plat and i was still gold. She got upgraded on the last segment by herself, I was number 5 or something at the airport. Wife downgraded per her own wishes.
This post should be made clear to everyone on this forum - especially those that travel with companions.

UA.sux seems to write their verbiage about how great companion upgrades are, but the truth is above.

Once the PNRs are split, you will not be getting a CPU on a companion (assuming no status for companion) until you get to the airport and have an agent add your companion to your status - and by then, it's likely too late to matter. It's as simple as that.

I've had my share of experiences like 'emcampbe' and had the upgrade after boarding fiasco as well - with my wife sitting next to me...I laughed and had the woman who's seat I was sitting in (she had just cleared standby) take the F seat, while I stayed in Y next to my wife.

Awful systems indeed and UA really needs to be honest and come clean on UA.sux.

-jeremy
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
How about when using GPUs?

Still a little confused here and a quick search didn't answer my question. Wife and I are flying IAH-LHR. We're both 1Ks and are waitlisted with GPUs.

Should I split into two itineraries so we don't get passed over 1 released-RN seat at a time? Will my GPUs flow with her on her new reservation?

What happens if they don't clear ahead of time?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:03 pm

I'm going to take a stab at summarizing people's experience on these issues and organizing the discussion, since it can be really hard to figure out exactly people are saying, about which kind of upgrade, etc. I've named the various categories and subcategories, and will try to use those names when I post in this thread.

For this purpose, I'm ignoring award itins and assuming that the companion has no status. Award itins and companions with their own status seem to complicate matters, per reported experiences. I am also ignoring the possibility of getting an agent to fix things for you, but as a practical matter (especially with the airport list), this does often seem possible. I'm also limiting it to free (non-instrument-supported) upgrades.

I've attempted to estimate the relative likelihood of each outcome, based on reports here, out of five total +'s. Where I wasn't able to estimate, I've used a question mark.

This is just a first shot at this. Please let me know if you have any counterexamples or you think I'm wrong on any of these points. Also consider reporting your experience in the experience-reporting thread

I. Outbound Flight (OUT)
A. Pre-Split / No Split (ONE-PNR)
1. Pre-Gate CPU (PRE-CPU)
i. >2 Invisible CPU Inventory
  • Upgraded together (++++)
  • No upgrade (+)
ii. 1 Invisible CPU Inventory
  • Neither passenger upgraded (+++++)
2. Gate Upgrade List (GATE)
  • Neither passenger on list (+++++)
B. After Split (SPLIT)
i. Elite Passenger (ELITE)
  • Upgraded if available (+++)
  • Skipped for upgrade (++)
ii. Non-Elite Companion (COMP)
  • Upgraded if available (+)
  • Skipped for upgrade (++++)
  • In expected position (+++)
  • In lower than expected position (+)
  • Not on list (+)
  • Adjacent to the elite (+)
  • After all others in the relevant status group (+++)
  • Not on list (+)
II. Inbound (Return) Flight (RETURN)
A. Reservation Never Split (ONE-PNR)
  • Same likelihoods as OUT ONE-PNR above (?)
  • No possibility of any upgrade (?)
B. After Split (SPLIT)
  • Same likelihoods as OUT SPLIT PRE-CPU above (?)
  • No possibility of upgrade (?)
  • In expected position (++++)
  • Not on list (+)
  • Not on list (++++)
  • In expected position (+)

Last edited by mgcsinc; Mar 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hans
Still a little confused here and a quick search didn't answer my question. Wife and I are flying IAH-LHR. We're both 1Ks and are waitlisted with GPUs.

Should I split into two itineraries so we don't get passed over 1 released-RN seat at a time? Will my GPUs flow with her on her new reservation?

What happens if they don't clear ahead of time?
The GPU upgrades with your status so no reason not to split them.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Thanks for this. My companion has been adjacent to me most of the time or top of the list where I cleared in advance and she didn't. That said I tend to travel on deep discount coach, so it wouldn't always be obvious if she was at the bottom of the 1K list incorrectly and I was the last of the real 1Ks. That said I did have an experience last year where despite her being at the top of the visible list, others (on the list) cleared ahead of her, this led to an apology from UA and some miles in my wife's account.

As for the Non-elite companion always being not on the list on the return if split, I have a few examples of where this hasn't happened and without intervention my wife was correctly placed on the list during mobile checkin at T-24.

Last edited by alex_b; Mar 13, 2013 at 1:53 pm Reason: Removed large block quote.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I'm going to take a stab at summarizing people's experience on these issues and organizing the discussion, since it can be really hard to figure out exactly people are saying, about which kind of upgrade, etc. I've named the various categories and subcategories, and will try to use those names when I post in this thread.
I actually thought about doing something similar for this but I think it's kinda confusing right now and in some cases repetitive.

It would almost be better to create a guide that tells people what they should do in any one of the many scenarios that could occur.

For example, if you are traveling on a roundtrip, and your first leg looks like it probably won't clear, but your return does look good, it would be better to NOT split on checkin, and then call to remove the flag for the return leg, so that you can possibly still CPU. Whether to split or not also depends on what your goals are - for example if you want to make SDC or E+ selections for your companion it's better not to split if the upgrades don't look good anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
Thanks for this. My companion has been adjacent to me most of the time or top of the list where I cleared in advance and she didn't. That said I tend to travel on deep discount coach, so it wouldn't always be obvious if she was at the bottom of the 1K list incorrectly and I was the last of the real 1Ks. That said I did have an experience last year where despite her being at the top of the visible list, others (on the list) cleared ahead of her, this led to an apology from UA and some miles in my wife's account.

As for the Non-elite companion always being not on the list on the return if split, I have a few examples of where this hasn't happened and without intervention my wife was correctly placed on the list during mobile checkin at T-24.
Thanks for the feedback! I've integrated it a bit and will fully integrate along with whatever others say soon.

If you get a chance, would you mind editing your post to remove the full-text quote? That way people don't read the quote instead of the full post, which I'll be editing.

Originally Posted by villox
I actually thought about doing something similar for this but I think it's kinda confusing right now and in some cases repetitive.

It would almost be better to create a guide that tells people what they should do in any one of the many scenarios that could occur.

For example, if you are traveling on a roundtrip, and your first leg looks like it probably won't clear, but your return does look good, it would be better to NOT split on checkin, and then call to remove the flag for the return leg, so that you can possibly still CPU. Whether to split or not also depends on what your goals are - for example if you want to make SDC or E+ selections for your companion it's better not to split if the upgrades don't look good anyway.
I completely agree that the end goal should be such a guide, but what the discussion over the last few pages has made clear is that we're just not there yet. We need to understand what actually happens before we can tell people what to do.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that this has to be repetitive because very similar situations produce quite different results, and I'm trying to capture that variation. If you have a suggestion for reorganizing it, I'm all ears.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

But here's the confusing part again which is crucial..... did you split on the OUTBOUND? OR THE RETURN?

Yes!! Like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Just a simple flow chart. And, just like in the books, 9 times out of 10 you get screwed in the end.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scruffair
But here's the confusing part again which is crucial..... did you split on the OUTBOUND? OR THE RETURN?
Split on the outbound, there seems to be little rhyme or reason behind my variable results though.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by raehl311
The GPU upgrades with your status so no reason not to split them.
And any good reasons to split?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Split on the outbound, there seems to be little rhyme or reason behind my variable results though.
Well if you split on outbound and your non-elite companion was on list for return then that is indeed very interesting because pretty much all the posted data on FT has been the opposite.... In fact someone replied the other day (I think it was channa?) that they were convinced if you split on outbound you lose upgrade opportunity on return for non-elite companion.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by scruffair
Well if you split on outbound and your non-elite companion was on list for return then that is indeed very interesting because pretty much all the posted data on FT has been the opposite.... In fact someone replied the other day (I think it was channa?) that they were convinced if you split on outbound you lose upgrade opportunity on return for non-elite companion.
All this inconsistency in reports and claims about definitive rules is why we're not ready for a guide yet
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:06 pm

It does feel like there should be some sort of strategy card like in Blackjack because nothing made sense in this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.