Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nba30
I've been experiencing the same lose-lose situation while doing OLCI this evening. After agreeing to split the PNR to be added to the upgrade standby list we are now #15 and #16 on the list. While the flight is ORD-SFO (two hubs with many elites,) as a 1K I've never been so low on a list. Is this truly a bug of the PNR splitting where the lower of the status' takes precedence on the upgrade standby list?
I was #15 out of 32 on SFO-IAD tonight (1K on a G fare). It happens.

Non-hub-to-hub upgrade percentage is at 100%. Hub-to-hub is a lot harder.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nba30
I've been experiencing the same lose-lose situation while doing OLCI this evening. After agreeing to split the PNR to be added to the upgrade standby list we are now #15 and #16 on the list. While the flight is ORD-SFO (two hubs with many elites,) as a 1K I've never been so low on a list. Is this truly a bug of the PNR splitting where the lower of the status' takes precedence on the upgrade standby list?
I (1k) was at 15 and my companion was at 18 on a G fare LGA-DEN the other day. Thursday night with a completely full flight. The guy I was sat next to flies the route all the time and said the evening flights are extremely difficult for upgrades.

On the return, my UG cleared but my wife's didn't until I called in (as .bomb was showing RN3).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
...has anyone heard if UA is planning on fixing this? officially?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
...has anyone heard if UA is planning on fixing this? officially?
Officially UAInsider said they were working on it last June, but nothing confirmed since then.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, LANPASS Gold, AerolineasPlus Gold
This is not working that way. I had the following experience:
Being UA 1K, I flew last january with my family (wife and 2 kids, all UA silver) EZE-EWR-PUJ, all on the same PNR. On the EWR-PUJ flight, I was CPUed at the gate. On the way back from PUJ to EWR my status changed from 1K to gold while the rest of my family stayed silver. All of us were CPUed 24 hours before the flight, and UA splitted our reservations to four different PNRs (maybe the split was made before the EWR-PUJ flight?).
Five days later, going back to EZE from EWR, when I tried to check two bags with my wife´s boarding I was told I have to pay for the second bag so she was no being treat as Gold.

Originally Posted by glasnost7
The saga continues.
She told me about an email that went out on 22 January saying that all companions on the newly-separated PNRs would now have the exact same benefits as the Premier member listed on the original reservation for E+, bags, IRROPS handling, et cetera. The only difference is that they're ordered below the "true" 1Ks for CPU processing within T-24. She spoke at length with a Service Director and told me that going forward, reservations should be split but that there shouldn't be any of the previous hassles, as companions now come up as "C1K."
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Couldn't find it in this thread, but I would assume this wouldn't matter if my family is on an award itin, as I never bothered to change my MP Signature Visa to an Explorer card, right? It's not for a while, but I don't want to run into this issue when we're traveling over spring break next month.

I can only imagine the itin getting split and the system telling us we have 2 unaccompanied minors, so pay up!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
From what I have experienced with a split, either auto or by choice, any issues with bags or e+ seats can be handled by an agent without issue. The down fall is what would be a 20 second seat swap on the app now turns into a 10 min call, 9 of those minutes the agent entering lines of code into shares..lol. If you have an e+ seat next to your companion, then you get a CPU, well they now have a middle e+ seat, so it takes a phone call to change it to a window or isle.. What a waste of time. When I have called in to deal with this, I have received a different answer with each call...all the way from cocky ex-cons saying deal with it...to sympathetic agents trying to help but getting lost in SHARES... Just the point that nobody really knows what is going on is frustrating. I keep hoping that with time things will improve, but I've yet to see it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by asphaltman
If you have an e+ seat next to your companion, then you get a CPU, well they now have a middle e+ seat, so it takes a phone call to change it to a window or isle.
On the advice of a very wise GA, when booking I now place my companion in the window (or aisle) and me in the middle. This ensures that if only I get upgraded we don't need to worry about seat swapping. This is especially important inside 24hrs as sometimes seatmaps will go under airport control meaning you have to hope the seat is still available when you arrive at the airport.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by alex_b
On the advice of a very wise GA, when booking I now place my companion in the window (or aisle) and me in the middle. This ensures that if only I get upgraded we don't need to worry about seat swapping. This is especially important inside 24hrs as sometimes seatmaps will go under airport control meaning you have to hope the seat is still available when you arrive at the airport.
^ I started doing this a couple of months ago and it's eliminated a lot of headache.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Couldn't find it in this thread, but I would assume this wouldn't matter if my family is on an award itin, as I never bothered to change my MP Signature Visa to an Explorer card, right? It's not for a while, but I don't want to run into this issue when we're traveling over spring break next month.

I can only imagine the itin getting split and the system telling us we have 2 unaccompanied minors, so pay up!
Does not matter if award ticket - our reservation still got split at 24-hour mark. Best thing to do is NOT to checkin until you get to airport where you can tell them that you do not want an upgrade. Even that doesn't always work as the agent took me off upgrade list but later we heard the GA paging my 2-year old with her companion upgrade (she didn't even have an MP #)

If you do checkin online be very careful to ensure that you uncheck the upgrade box.

Originally Posted by glasnost7
^ I started doing this a couple of months ago and it's eliminated a lot of headache.
+1 For family trips I now assign myself a middle seat and the remaining family members get window or aisle. It is always easier to trade in the event of SNAFU by SHARES (is that an oxymoron?)
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, Marriott Gold
PNR split/no split impacts on RPU applied for return flight?

Hi!
1. We are flying to SFO on Thursday and I can already tell we will not receive CPUs. So, I figured I would not split the PNR and not go on the upgrade waitlist on the way out. I think I read in earlier posts that not splitting the PNR takes us out of the running for a CPU on the way home (unless I call CS) - but does it impact the RPU I am trying to use for us on the way home?

2. If I opt to split the PNR, does this impact the RPU for either of us? Mr. ScDGal is a kettle and I am applying the RPUs.

Does anyone have any experience with the PNR split/return trip RPU scenario? Information would be appreciated so I can make an informed decision.

Thank you.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

My experience is not splitting does not change anything for CPU on the return (ie for advance upgrades for which you can't see the list - you can still get upgraded per normal) but puts a do not upgrade notation for the airport standby upgrade list (the one you can see - but you won't be on it).
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not splitting should not prevent you from being on the list. All it should do is make it upgrade both or neither. The system is so stupid. Whomever came up with if you don't split you can't be on the list should be fired. Still be on the list in the correct spot just pass over if only one seat, but if 2 seats upgrade both.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, Marriott Gold
How about the RPU part? Will the system see the RPUs applied to the separate flyers?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Like most things, I have eventually learned to adjust to this stupid SHARES quirk and profit from it. I no longer worry about booking my kids (or anyone else) on my locator. Anytime there's a question about them not being on my itinerary (and thus being charged some fee!), I just say 'oh, SHARES split them off' and they laugh and go ahead and do it for free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.