Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by baser1000
I'm 1K and I'm flying on award travel that I booked for me and two pax who have no status. I booked us in one reservation. We're flying IAD-LAX on Thursday.
Your companions have no chance at an upgrade, so if you want one, you should split yourself off. From United.com:

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

United MileagePlus Explorer Card
United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
United MileagePlus Club Card
United MileagePlus Club Business Card
United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Your companions have no chance at an upgrade, so if you want one, you should split yourself off. From United.com:

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

United MileagePlus Explorer Card
United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
United MileagePlus Club Card
United MileagePlus Club Business Card
United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Even on a paid ticket, there would still need to be a split, as upgrades are only allowed for a premier member and 1 companion. With 2 no -premier companions, no one gets CPUd.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
My wife and I have both recently reached Premier Silver. Since neither of us had status before, we didn't have to work about a PNR split. We have a few trips coming up, and even though we probably won't get upgrades a silver you never know.

So my understanding is if we want to be on the airport upgrade list our PNR's will be split. The only downside I can see is that I'm a Chase Mileageplus member so we usually board in group 2 - if we split and don't get upgraded, my wife will get group 3-5 I presume. Are there any other downsides to splitting I'm missing?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by swiftaw
My wife and I have both recently reached Premier Silver. Since neither of us had status before, we didn't have to work about a PNR split. We have a few trips coming up, and even though we probably won't get upgrades a silver you never know.

So my understanding is if we want to be on the airport upgrade list our PNR's will be split. The only downside I can see is that I'm a Chase Mileageplus member so we usually board in group 2 - if we split and don't get upgraded, my wife will get group 3-5 I presume. Are there any other downsides to splitting I'm missing?
If you're both Silvers, you'll both be in group 2 anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by swiftaw

In any case and for others reading. When I have split in the past, my "non status" conpanion has always kept my Boarding Group 1 status one the records have been split. They keep the orginal PNR and a new one is assigned to me as well. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
In any case and for others reading. When I have split in the past, my "non status" conpanion has always kept my Boarding Group 1 status one the records have been split. They keep the orginal PNR and a new one is assigned to me as well. Thanks and Safe Travels..
To clarify - this is when one splits at OLCI only.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by aacharya
To clarify - this is when one splits at OLCI only.
Thanks for the clarification, I guess that's the only time I have split before.. Safe Travels
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by MattR23
If you're both Silvers, you'll both be in group 2 anyway.
Oh yeah, silly me
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Any hope for a fee-free SDC after autosplit?

I'm a 1K traveling with a Silver toddler on the return leg of a domestic round trip. Our original return flight is tonight, and I was hoping to SDC to tomorrow morning. For our outbound leg, I checked in using the United mobile app and don't remember being prompted for auto-checkin the way I am when I use a desktop machine, as otherwise I would obviously have declined. The outbound checkin itself definitely did not split the PNR, as we were together as of yesterday morning.

Unfortunately, I went to look at the reservation and consider SDC options this morning, again using the mobile app. I guess I stupidly clicked through the checkin process thinking it might offer me change options. In retrospect, I guess change flight is a different option when you click on the reservation. At any rate, at no point did it ask me whether I wanted to split the reservation, but somehow it split anyway.

My questions:
  • I found a flight that has seats together and has inventory in our fare bucket. Is there any remaining hope for a free-free SDC to tomorrow morning? If so, how?
  • Is there any way to check in with the mobile app and not auto-split a reservation? More generally, I'm a bit confused that this worked fine on the outbound leg but not on the return, so would appreciate anyone who can explain more precisely what may have happened to my reservation.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you get a free change on your PNR, then just call it in. They'll waive it for your infant, since the PNR was originally together.

The app can't handle this on the return flight - it could've on the outbound.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Splitting Records at Check-in

I was booked with a companion, as I have many times before. I checked in on the APP as usual. Two boarding passes showed, everything normal.

A couple hours late I went to see about changing seats and we were separated. I called and was told this always happens at check-in due to upgrades, etc. I have flown many times and this hasn't happened before.

She looked further into history, and said I selected it at the same time of check in. I would never do that, and to separate records is a two step process, no chance I could have done it accidentally.

They said there is no way to restore. This makes ongoing seat changes, and SDC a pain to do, because we both have to sign on, be on the phone together, and move simultaneously.

I called again, and got a completely different answer. They said it's automatic when you request your upgrade at checkin. I told her you don't select it, it's automatic. I'm so tired of agents who don't know what they're saying sometimes.

Anyhow, is this new? I certainly hope not.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
She looked further into history, and said I selected it at the same time of check in. I would never do that, and to separate records is a two step process, no chance I could have done it accidentally.

I called again, and got a completely different answer. They said it's automatic when you request your upgrade at checkin. I told her you don't select it, it's automatic. I'm so tired of agents who don't know what they're saying sometimes.

Anyhow, is this new? I certainly hope not.
There is a substantial thread on this somewhere on the board [edit: the thread has now been merged in]. In short: This isn't new -- this is how the CO system has always worked. If your upgrade clears prior to check-in, it will not split your PNR. If you want to be waitlisted for an upgrade at the gate, it will split your PNR. There is (supposed to be) a message during that process that tells you that if you want to waitlist for an upgrade, the elite passenger will be split into a separate record. I've definitely seen this message, personally, on the web, on the app, and at the kiosk.

It is not a two-step process to split a PNR. That one checkbox can do it.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:06 pm Reason: edit: []
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It is not a two-step process to split a PNR. That one checkbox can do it.
Yep. It's pretty innocuous seeming - like, "who wouldn't want to do that?"

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This makes ongoing seat changes, and SDC a pain to do, because we both have to sign on, be on the phone together, and move simultaneously.
That's not true. One person can deal with both itineraries in a single call.

Moreover, if you booked the tickets, both itineraries will still show under your account on the app and on the website. I do separate itineraries for my GF and I all the time and it's really not a big deal at all.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not quite auto-splitting, but not sure where exactly this would go and this thread came to mind.

Flying with my family of 6 to SYD in 2017 and see R9 for upgrades + cash. We have the total number of miles needed for both outbound and return flights scattered across the family but will need to transfer miles and pay the fees to do so. I don't have enough in my account to cover them all so will shuffle my miles around to get to the amount needed for each flyer.

I called the Premier desk and was told that we can certainly do this, but when I do the upgrade it'll be split. Since we are flying to Oz and UA's performance leaves a bit to be desired on this route, splitting seems like a show stopper for me. The question is if we did use miles from 6 different MP accounts, would the original record be split?

I could transfer from the 5 different accounts to mine, but it'll cost more as some of them are very close to the miles needed and just need "topped off" by mine.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Not quite auto-splitting, but not sure where exactly this would go and this thread came to mind.

Flying with my family of 6 to SYD in 2017 and see R9 for upgrades + cash. We have the total number of miles needed for both outbound and return flights scattered across the family but will need to transfer miles and pay the fees to do so. I don't have enough in my account to cover them all so will shuffle my miles around to get to the amount needed for each flyer.

I called the Premier desk and was told that we can certainly do this, but when I do the upgrade it'll be split. Since we are flying to Oz and UA's performance leaves a bit to be desired on this route, splitting seems like a show stopper for me. The question is if we did use miles from 6 different MP accounts, would the original record be split?

I could transfer from the 5 different accounts to mine, but it'll cost more as some of them are very close to the miles needed and just need "topped off" by mine.

Thoughts?
I don't see how splitting the PNR's would pose any greater problems during IRROPS than not, as long as you have the mileage upgrades confirmed into R space.

What would having the entire family on your PNR gain, in this case? Once you're in Polaris class, baggage allowance, boarding priority, etc., all go to *G or better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.