Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Sorry if this isn't the right thread...

Family of 4 traveling tomorrow, and system auto-split PNRs. My question is about the boarding groups, as our BPs now have us:

Me, Platinum, Group 1
Wife and 10 year old, no status, Group 2
7 year old child, no status, Group 4

Will GA allow all 4 of us to board with Group 1?

On hold now 20+ minutes. I guess UA is jammed with calls from the Winter Storm on east coast.

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
"they're with me" they won't bat an eye
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
My understanding is that a family can board with the highest Group # in the family.
That happens all the time. A family of three, due to the way UA boards, would be assigned boarding groups 3,4,5 though they're all sitting together in the same row.
Thanks!

I did get through to agent, and she suggested to be on safe side, I bring a copy of the confirmation email showing all 4 of us on same PNR before it split.

Last edited by Phil Level; Jan 20, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:57 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by Phil Level

Family of 4 traveling tomorrow, and system auto-split PNRs. My question is about the boarding groups, as our BPs now have us:

Me, Platinum, Group 1

On hold now 20+ minutes. I guess UA is jammed with calls from the Winter Storm on east coast.
"they're with me" they won't bat an eye
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:03 pm

My understanding is that a family can board with the highest Group # in the family.
That happens all the time. A family of three, due to the way UA boards, would be assigned boarding groups 3,4,5 though they're all sitting together in the same row.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level

Me, Platinum, Group 1

Interesting...splits for me have never resulted in different groups at least on the outbound. It has always seemed to tag the status to keep wife and I in the same BG with what seems to be very similar upgrade wait list priority (Im a play, she's a gold). Even the returns have been acting similar more recently, though used to seem to get dos-associated.

But yes, feel free to board together. GA often isn't paying attention to groups anyway and may not say anything, but always good to let them know you are altogether.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Planning on traveling EWR-FLL-EWR in May, w/ 1 silver, 2 GM. If I split PNR to be added to upgrade list, do the other two GM keep elite benefits for the outbound and the return? Wiki says no, but other people seem to say they retain benefits.

We are going for a cruise, so will definitely be checking bags. As a silver, I know there usually isn't a great chance, but figured it might be light on elites. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
another "please verify that this is the correct strategy" questions:

bachelor party, 5 travelers BOS-EWR-TPA. the return is booked separately. i'm the only one with status (plat); i'd like the bachelor to be upgraded with me. knock on wood, i generally have good luck with florida routes.

i should split the bachelor and myself away from the others, correct?

we're still 7 weeks out - should i wait until we're a little closer to split (T minus 7?) so that the others won't lose E+ if there's a sweep/swap?

will splitting the bachelor and me off cause the others to lose premier access security screening? thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
When my wife and I are traveling and the PNR is split on check-in, we are always listed in sequential order on the upgrade waitlist (I am 1K, my wife is Premier Gold). I've been told by United agents that my wife will maintain my status on the waitlist so that if two seats become available, we would both be upgraded.

However, although we may start out as numbers 3 and 4 on the list, we sometimes end up 7 and 9 (or something similar). Why does this happen if she maintains my status, we are in the same fare bucket, and we were both added to the upgrade waitlist at the same time? I can see why we may move up or down the list, but why would we be separated? Any insight would be appreciated... Thanks!

Last edited by alanro; Mar 5, 2016 at 6:21 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alanro
However, although we may start out as numbers 3 and 4 on the list, we sometimes end up 7 and 9 (or something similar). Why does this happen if she maintains my status, we are in the same fare bucket, and we were both added to the upgrade waitlist at the same time? I can see why we may move up or down the list, but why would we be separated? Any insight would be appreciated... Thanks!
AFAIK on the upgrade standby list 1K companions come after all actual 1K. So #8 is a 1K on the same or lower fare bucket as you, or a 1K companion on a higher fare bucket than your wife.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
First time having this issue. I am not an UA elite, but have *G through Avianca Brazil. Booked business class award outbound but was put on upgrade list for one of the segments as space wasn't available. So when I went to check in it split.

Before actually checking had some massive check-in issues online thanks to a separate issue when i tried to book the upgrade and they overcharged in taxes, I think that is resolved but will have to watch for the refund. Not fun on the call yesterday thanks to the blizzard in Denver but ya.

Once that issue was resolved I went to check-in online and it split my reservation in two. One for me and my companion. Not a huge deal going outbound as it's a business award. But return flights are economy award and *G benefits would be helpful. Doesn't sound like it is easy to merge the reservations back, is it worth my time to reach out? Would I still be able to get my companion in star lounges for return flights despite being on a separate res? Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bgriz18
Would I still be able to get my companion in star lounges for return flights despite being on a separate res? Thanks!
You get one guest as *G regardless so long as the guest is departing on a *A flight.

Note that your companion would not share your *G status for this purpose in any event. Even if on same PNR, his or her bp will not show *G.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Doesn't sound like it is easy to merge the reservations back, is it worth my time to reach out? Would I still be able to get my companion in star lounges for return flights despite being on a separate res? Thanks!
It's not that it isn't easy - it's that it's impossible. Once the record is split, it can't be put back together. Technically, if you found an agent willing to make an entirely new reservation with the two of you to replace the two separate ones, hey could, but good luck getting that to happen.

Technically, an agent can tell the records were split and can find the base PNR from the split one, however, automated systems are a different story. If you need the bag allowance for your companion, you'll probably need to get manual intervention. Anything else as well will require it - show your *G and tell them your companion is with you for priority security, boarding, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Not sure if this is the right thread for the question, but since i'm a new Silver, i'll ask here.

Dad and I travelling IAH-SFO-SEA and returning SEA-DEN-IAH. My goal is to get him into E+ on all flights, and potentially an upgrade with me (if possible) for our red-eye return from Denver. (no likelihood of any other upgrades clearing). He has a credit card so he boards group 2 and checked luggage is not an issue. What is my best strategy here? Is it "combining reservations" on united.com or calling to move him up and get him on the upgrade list?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by plc44
Not sure if this is the right thread for the question, but since i'm a new Silver, i'll ask here.

Dad and I travelling IAH-SFO-SEA and returning SEA-DEN-IAH. My goal is to get him into E+ on all flights, and potentially an upgrade with me (if possible) for our red-eye return from Denver. (no likelihood of any other upgrades clearing). He has a credit card so he boards group 2 and checked luggage is not an issue. What is my best strategy here? Is it "combining reservations" on united.com or calling to move him up and get him on the upgrade list?
Combining reservations does nothing but let you see them together online - there is NO impact for the agents or the priority of the passengers. The only way to get him upgraded/or into E+, is to pay for it.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Combining reservations does nothing but let you see them together online - there is NO impact for the agents or the priority of the passengers. The only way to get him upgraded/or into E+, is to pay for it.
On a trip previously, i just called the Premier line and had a friend (on the same flight as I, different reservations) brought up to E+. If I understood correctly, my premier companion doesn't need to be on the same reservation.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you booked these two tickets on a single reservation, or are these two separate PNR's.

For E+, rumor is UA will seat a companion on a different reservation with you in E+. Note that in the E+ terms, there doesn't seem to be any clear language to stipulate whether a companion on a separate reservation should be allowed in E+ for free with an elite, or saying they shouldn't either - I only have seen the generic word "companion", however, based on FT reports, this is the norm. So that shouldn't be a problem. It looks like you are silver (unless your profile isn't accurate), so payment would be required if you want to do this for both in advance - if not, do it while checking in.

As mentioned several times in this thread (and others), you can not combine a reservation if they are separate - you can have an agent put a note in to say you are traveling with them, and vice-versa, but this will only be relevant for manual something with your reservation. For example, if one of your flights gets canceled, the auto-rebook will handle you and your dad completely separately. You might luck out and be put on the same flights, but that will be chance - as a silver, you will be processed before non-elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.