Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Just experienced this for the first time, and can't wait to try to explain it to my wife.

Details:
  • Flying p.s. tomorrow on the same PNR
  • 2 RPUs waitlisted, nothing clears prior to check-in
  • At some point after check-in, I notice that reservation has been split (without my consent) and I'm upgraded while she isn't
  • Just checked again and BF is now full, while she's still sitting on the waitlist

Any recourse at this point?
I have noticed that if you use an RPU, you don't get a choice as to whether it will split. It only asks if you are just using a CPU.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Ugh, I wish I'd read this thread before I accepted to be put on the UG list on a DCA-IAH flight I knew I'd never clear (Gold, new to traveling on UA with a companion on my PNR). I didn't notice my husband had been split off until I didn't see him on my record when re-printing my bp after checking my bag. I had the agent print his, noticed he didn't have pre-check (which he has always gotten when booked with me), and remember seeing this thread (but never reading it).

If I'm reading this thread correctly, now that we're split, he won't have a chance to clear on our flight home until the gate (we're on an intl configure 757 IAH-IAD on the day after Thanksgiving that still looks pretty open--I know it's still not super likely as a Gold, but still..), though I might clear at the window. He also seems to have lost premier access and the ability to change economy plus seats for free (if I call in, will they add premier access back?).

It would be nice if the app was a bit more explicit about what you're really doing when you ask to be put on the UG list, as I wouldn't have done it otherwise!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
Ugh, I wish I'd read this thread before I accepted to be put on the UG list on a DCA-IAH flight I knew I'd never clear (Gold, new to traveling on UA with a companion on my PNR). I didn't notice my husband had been split off until I didn't see him on my record when re-printing my bp after checking my bag. I had the agent print his, noticed he didn't have pre-check (which he has always gotten when booked with me), and remember seeing this thread (but never reading it).

If I'm reading this thread correctly, now that we're split, he won't have a chance to clear on our flight home until the gate (we're on an intl configure 757 IAH-IAD on the day after Thanksgiving that still looks pretty open--I know it's still not super likely as a Gold, but still..), though I might clear at the window. He also seems to have lost premier access and the ability to change economy plus seats for free (if I call in, will they add premier access back?).

It would be nice if the app was a bit more explicit about what you're really doing when you ask to be put on the UG list, as I wouldn't have done it otherwise!
On the way home, instead of being behind you immediately, he would be the last on the list of Gold members.

If you had kept it together, neither of you would be eligible. Aspects like baggage, premier access and E+ are easily manageable by agent or redcoat interactions/flashing your BP.

I always split, and always give the upgrade (if only one) to the better half. Never understood why folks want to sit aisle/middle, when one can be in F and the other aisle.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
On the way home, instead of being behind you immediately, he would be the last on the list of Gold members.

If you had kept it together, neither of you would be eligible. Aspects like baggage, premier access and E+ are easily manageable by agent or redcoat interactions/flashing your BP.

I always split, and always give the upgrade (if only one) to the better half. Never understood why folks want to sit aisle/middle, when one can be in F and the other aisle.
Thanks for this! If we hadn't split, would we have still been eligible to be upgraded together at the window for the return if space had been available? (I know this isn't really a realistic problem for a Gold to worry about ) And yes, if I get the upgrade, I will be giving it to him.

Also, when I look at his record, I get an offer to buy an upgrade for $193 (hard pass). No such offer on my record
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My GF would always prefer we sit together in Y. I don't understand it either.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
My GF would always prefer we sit together in Y. I don't understand it either.
Same...spouse would always prefer we both sit in Y together. I don't really get it, but not going to get worked up about it.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by villox
I have noticed that if you use an RPU, you don't get a choice as to whether it will split. It only asks if you are just using a CPU.
This also applies to mileage upgrades. I had a mileage upgrade for a Party of 4, ORD-HNL, waitlisted and it autosplit at some point after T-24.

Frustrating, because I couldn't easily figure out the new PNRs for my two children, making it difficult to reprint boarding passes at ORD.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
Thanks for this! If we hadn't split, would we have still been eligible to be upgraded together at the window for the return if space had been available? (I know this isn't really a realistic problem for a Gold to worry about ) And yes, if I get the upgrade, I will be giving it to him.

Also, when I look at his record, I get an offer to buy an upgrade for $193 (hard pass). No such offer on my record
No, you would have been off the ug list on the return as well. That's why many of us where possible book one-ways.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:24 pm

Both our upgrades cleared about 30 minutes after I checked in at T-24! I was #2 on the list, he was #9. Two silvers below him also cleared. Three cheers for the day after thanksgiving and his first time on lie-flats, even if it's just a 2.5 hour flight! My earlier griping was misplaced but thanks to all who helped me understand how this process works!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:32 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Small data point - when this happened to me Sunday on a LAX-IAD flight the 1K phone agent told me "you agreed to split your reservation when you checked in on Saturday." She used this as the reason she couldn't reseat us. Not sure why she gave me that excuse first crack out of the barrel. I can only assume she'd had a bad day. The honest reason was that the flight was overbooked and no one could move. That reason would have made me a lot less irritated than one that implied I'd consented to the split.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'm a little confused by this.

I'm flying SFO-IAD tomorrow with a companion, and I had requested a MP upgrade for both of us. The upgrade hasn't (and won't) clear.

I checked in for us online, and was never asked anything about splitting or upgrades. But my companion's reservation is now separate. She's been demoted to Boarding Group 4, with a baggage charge.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I'm a little confused by this.

I'm flying SFO-IAD tomorrow with a companion, and I had requested a MP upgrade for both of us. The upgrade hasn't (and won't) clear.

I checked in for us online, and was never asked anything about splitting or upgrades. But my companion's reservation is now separate. She's been demoted to Boarding Group 4, with a baggage charge.
Do you remember being asked whether you wanted to be transferred to the airport upgrade list to continue standing by for an upgrade? If you answered yes to this kind of query, you were (perhaps unknowingly) answering yes to splitting your reservation. UA's IT cannot handle airport upgrades on files with more than one pax on them, so the multi-pax reservations automatically get split if you ask to be placed on the airport upgrade list. And once you're split, you're split. There's no way to unring this bell.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
...She's been demoted to Boarding Group 4, with a baggage charge.
You can check her bag in as your own to avoid bag fee, if not lugging too much. She can also board with you in your boarding group instead of Group 4 (just tell GA "she's w/ me").
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This auto split is new to me!

I checked in an award ticket reservation with three passengers today. One of the passengers is eligible for CPU (Chase CC holder), who is split out from the reservation. This is a one-way ticket. I thought that only round-trip tickets got split for the return segments. Anyway, unrelatedly, the split-out passenger did not get TSA Pre, while a non-status passenger with the original reservation got TSA Pre. And so is his 1K companion on this reservation.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I checked in an award ticket reservation with three passengers today. One of the passengers is eligible for CPU (Chase CC holder), who is split out from the reservation. This is a one-way ticket. I thought that only round-trip tickets got split for the return segments. Anyway, unrelatedly, the split-out passenger did not get TSA Pre, while a non-status passenger with the original reservation got TSA Pre. And so is his 1K companion on this reservation.
Auto-splitting can happen on any # of tickets grouped under a single PNR with multiple pax trying to upgrade at T<24. Now you know.
The good news is that if the auto-split occurred on a one-way ticket, then your return ticket (if you have one) did not get auto-split. That is one reason (among several) why I book one way tickets when there is no fare difference compared to a round trip booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.