Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by findark
I'm pretty sure an auto-split companion maintains the status priority of the instrument. (Also I have a memory of several reports of the donor's status transferring in the old way, but to the visible list only.)
Thanks... very interesting. I don't fly with companions enough to understand this fully.

This was SEA-EWR by the way. You can see us as me #2 and companion #3 below. I guess it's possible that a no-status RPU could be #3 , but kinda doubt it on SEA-EWR.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bworrell
Thanks... very interesting. I don't fly with companions enough to understand this fully.
Don't worry - flying more doesn't really help

I was auto-split at check-in for two segments (V fares, GPU applied, no-status companion). Every possible comparison I could think of between the tickets was identical, yet we were in a different order on the two segments (1/2 and 2/1, respectively). I gave up after that.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bworrell

This was SEA-EWR by the way. You can see us as me #2 and companion #3 below. I guess it's possible that a no-status RPU could be #3 , but kinda doubt it on SEA-EWR.
How long until departure? Only checked-in passengers would appear on the list.

SEA-EWR is an RPU-worthy route if you have a cache of them, certainly, but if there are only 21 people on the list, there may not be that many Platinum / 1K / GS customers. And, yes, it's also possible that the computer kept the two of you together during the splitting process. It's extremely opaque, as findark pointed out.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Applied RPUs for myself (Plat) and companion (general member) on same PNR for ORD > HNL. So there is no way not to split upon check-in? Does that mean I'll have to call to restore Plat benefits (checked bags, priority boarding) for my companion on the return OGG > SFO > ORD?
My recent experience is your companion will retain Plat benefits on return, including position on CPU list, even though you're split.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Just so I understand, if I book myself and two non-elite companions on the same PNR, and if it's a one-way ticket, and if I waitlist for RPUs for all 3 of us, and if the RPUs don't clear by checkin time, and if we want to stay together no matter what, what will happen at checkin? Will it ask me if we want to split up? What if I checkin with an agent?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard
Just so I understand, if I book myself and two non-elite companions on the same PNR, and if it's a one-way ticket, and if I waitlist for RPUs for all 3 of us, and if the RPUs don't clear by checkin time, and if we want to stay together no matter what, what will happen at checkin? Will it ask me if we want to split up? What if I checkin with an agent?
If you do not remove the RPUs prior to T-24, your record will be split automatically at some point between then and check-in.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you do not remove the RPUs prior to T-24, your record will be split automatically at some point between then and check-in.
And just to be clear, with RPUs waitlisted, you're not offered any choice - the system will split your PNRs. If you don't want that to happen, you have to call UA and have them removed prior to T-24.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
And just to be clear, with RPUs waitlisted, you're not offered any choice - the system will split your PNRs. If you don't want that to happen, you have to call UA and have them removed prior to T-24.
Wow - I had no idea! Thanks for the helpful information.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow - I had no idea! Thanks for the helpful information.
​And even that may not work. The agent may un-apply the certificates and refund them, but somehow the record retains some waitlist request and autosplits at check-in. The only way to be absolutely sure there will be no split is to see before check-in that your segments have no upgrade request of any form. For example, you may call to remove the RPU, look at the app and see CPU requested, and expect that check-in will ask you whether or not you want to split the PNR, but it will not ask and will split.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just had our reservation (me and 1 companion) splitted some days ago.

We have not been asked about splitting at check-in (via Android app) and would have never agreed to that as it was only a long haul booking without any upgrading instruments.

Booking was made at United.com and included flights with LX and LH. Might the latter have impacts on having the reservetion split?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Just had our reservation (me and 1 companion) splitted some days ago.

We have not been asked about splitting at check-in (via Android app) and would have never agreed to that as it was only a long haul booking without any upgrading instruments.

Booking was made at United.com and included flights with LX and LH. Might the latter have impacts on having the reservetion split?
I had dreadful problems with LH CAI-MUC after UA split the reservation. My non-status companion had no issues but I was nearly not allowed on the plane as I had too many changes to my reservation. I also could not getting the BPs MUC-IAH-SAN, but again my non-status companion got all the BPs in CAI. Similar thing happened in Naples returning to the USA a year earlier. It took calls to the 1K desk from CAI and them to speak to the check-in agents in CAI for them to allow me on the CAI-MUC flight. It all started with UA splitting the reservation in SAN due to flight delays out of SFO.

Thank goodness for 1K status but they did warn me after 30 minutes on the call I may need to catch the flight the next day while the "security" issues got sorted out.

I now book under separate reservations for my travel companions when flying internationally.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I had dreadful problems with LH CAI-MUC after UA split the reservation. My non-status companion had no issues but I was nearly not allowed on the plane as I had too many changes to my reservation. I also could not getting the BPs MUC-IAH-SAN, but again my non-status companion got all the BPs in CAI. Similar thing happened in Naples returning to the USA a year earlier. It took calls to the 1K desk from CAI and them to speak to the check-in agents in CAI for them to allow me on the CAI-MUC flight. It all started with UA splitting the reservation in SAN due to flight delays out of SFO.
Luckily I did not have as many problems as you, but no seat selection possible for the LX flights. Even the UA agent at checkin could not select any.

Could have been worse, but not a nice experience - especially because no one asked me about the splitting.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What was the UA ticketed itinerary on LH/LX?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
What was the UA ticketed itinerary on LH/LX?
Most of the flight time was on United, 016-Ticketstock:
CPH - FRA: op. by LH
FRA - BOS: op. by LH
BOS - LAX - SAN: op. by UA
SFO - LHR: op. by UA
LHR - ZRH: op. by LX
ZRH - CPH: op. by LX
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
BOS-LAX and LAX-SAN is UA CPU eligible, but a split should only occur within 24-hours of the original first flight.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 3, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.