Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Security is the issue. I’m Pre and my wife got it. The 10yo is cool, but 13yo, without Premier access, is the slow down. We all got pre on the way out, but the kids didn’t get it on their BPs on the return. The BG sequence is a non issue for boarding, it is security and bags I’m concerned about.
TSA Precheck isn't related to UA Premier Access.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
TSA Precheck isn't related to UA Premier Access.
Of course. But if he doesn’t have premier, he’ll have to go regular security, or I skip pre and take him premier.

All this because UA’s IT sucks.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Security is the issue. I’m Pre and my wife got it. The 10yo is cool, but 13yo, without Premier access, is the slow down. We all got pre on the way out, but the kids didn’t get it on their BPs on the return. The BG sequence is a non issue for boarding, it is security and bags I’m concerned about.
The luggage should be fine if they look at the record locator as it sounds as if the records were split.

I am not sure there is anything that can be done about the TSA-pre. However, at KOA in January people traveling without TSA-pre got into the line with traveling companions with TSA-pre and it was fine as they just processed them a bit differently and the line for the non TSA-pre folks was insane (not that the TSA-pre line was much shorter). My thought at the time of the mix of pre and non-pre was "only in Hawaii". I suspect it may not be similar in HNL. Which is your origination airport? Perhaps explain to the agent and if that does not work ensure the 13 year old has no luggage for security.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Of course. But if he doesn’t have premier, he’ll have to go regular security, or I skip pre and take him premier.

All this because UA’s IT sucks.
What? No, just take him to premier security, they won't care as long as one of you has it, especially with a kid.

Or find a reason to use the FML line.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:41 pm

OGG.

if we can get the kid into the premier line, that should work out.

It it was never split, and I only moved seats due to the 753 seat shuffle. Just a weird one.We were #1-4 in check-in seq. Kind of funny.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hope it works out.

David
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:32 pm

The entire family (or family-like group) traveling with a child under 12 y/o is eligible for a "light" security check (i.e. no body scanner, WMTD only). So, having just one child is sufficient for a relatively easier TSA experience.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
OGG.

if we can get the kid into the premier line, that should work out...
OGG has no Premier Security line, just regular and pre-check
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I'm confused how you're all on the same PNR yet it assigned different BG and didn't carry over Premier. Granted I haven't flown with anyone on the same PNR for 2 months, but it's always carried all that over for me and my companion in the past.
The above posters are all right, don't worry, just explain it at the desk. All will be right regarding the bags.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:07 am

It’s all jacked and they wouldn’t fix it. OGG is a ghetto airport. Got through security.

They implied I jacked with the reservation. What I think happened was a had RPUs from time of booking. A couple of weeks ago we didn’t get upgraded, but the app had new ‘shadow’ enteries about R space upgrade requested. They never cleared. I bet they split the res when some R opened up, but not enough for all of us. We get all lumped back together, and they lost the connection.

So, on this flight my seats were previously jacked around with, had my upgrades taken away, had my Pre for my family jacked with and dismissed by the counter staff. Great work there United. A fine follow up to our flight out where 2 of our seat back screens didn’t work, the on demand didn’t work on Macs, and the app kept on freezing movies- a great 8 hours to start the trip. Way to bookend it for me.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Did the check-in agent say you had done something with the reservation or that there was an issue with the reservation. Two different things. I think most of us are aware there are issues with the splitting of reservations if more than one GPU /RPU waitlisted. I am surprised a check-in agent would imply you caused the issue.

Numerous threads on the splitting issue and recently needing to call in when the UG does not stick.

If you are upset, you may want to succinctly write into CS and let them know about the issues you expereinced.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Sounds likely. I haven't ever traveled UA with more than one companion on my reservation. In the past it was notorious for separating the res if our GPU didn't clear before day of departure, then they'd lose their Group 1 boarding, TSA Pre (I know this is supposedly unrelated but when my partner is on my PNR she always gets TSA Pre along with me, 100% of the time for us so far), and luggage. At least since last year though this hasn't been happening anymore and the UA benefits have stuck but not TSA Pre, it has to be the same PNR for that one to apply.

Fortunately this doesn't happen too often anymore since R space is pretty generous on a couple of the NRT routes.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: None anymore
Last year I upgraded my parents with GPU's and put us all on the same reservation and for one of our flights they didn't have an upgrade, and they were thrown back into BG's 3 and 4 while I was BG 1. They boarded with me in 1 anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... What I think happened was a had RPUs from time of booking. ...
Did you have RPUs applied to the outboard? or just the return?
Did you to the gatelist on the outboard? or the return?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I've traveled international longhaul 4 times in the past 4 months with multiple non-premier companions on my pnr. All 4 check-ins resulted in my companions getting Premier Access, BG1, and Precheck. No attempts at applying instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.