Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Yes we are on the same PNR.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjay
Thanks for the quick response. Yes we are on the same PNR.
Are you still on the same PNR? You say that you're on "standby" for an upgrade. Does that mean you're already checked in, and you both appear on the upgrade list? If that's the case, it is possible for one person to be upgraded and not the other, because your PNRs were split during the check-in process. There's a board thread about this ("The stupid auto-splitting at T-24 has to stop," or something like that).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:39 pm

@jsloan, we are not yet checked-in. We will be checking-in in a few days and yes we are on the same PNR. So are you suggesting that once we are checked in and that seat is available, it is still possible for one of us to be upgraded but not the other?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
@jsloan, we are not yet checked-in. We will be checking-in in a few days and yes we are on the same PNR. So are you suggesting that once we are checked in and that seat is available, it is still possible for one of us to be upgraded but not the other?
Yes. In order to be eligible for any upgrades at the gate, you must split the PNR and accept that only one of you might clear. If this is completely unacceptable, you need to get the upgrade request removed before check-in opens to prevent the PNR split.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

To clarify: we applied GPUs to our ticket but those haven't cleared yet. Sorry I should have been clearer as opposed to stating we are on "standby." Once we check in, I believe we will be on the upgrade waitlist.

Originally Posted by findark
Yes. In order to be eligible for any upgrades at the gate, you must split the PNR and accept that only one of you might clear. If this is completely unacceptable, you need to get the upgrade request removed before check-in opens to prevent the PNR split.
Oh! What if one of us gets upgraded but refuse the upgrade? Will the PNR still split? This is for a round trip ticket so ideally we would like to keep our PNR

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Oh! What if one of us gets upgraded but refuse the upgrade? Will the PNR still split? This is for a round trip ticket so ideally we would like to keep our PNR
If there is an (instrument-supported) upgrade request on your PNR when you check in, the system will split the PNR and add both of you to the upgrade standby list. At this point, your PNR becomes irreversibly split, even if neither of you clear the upgrade. Most hassles of a split PNR can be worked through and are a reasonable cost of getting a Y->J upgrade overwater, but that's up to you of course. The only way to avoid a PNR split is to remove the request before check-in.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What if one of us gets upgraded but refuse the upgrade? Will the PNR still split?
Prior to check-in, either both of you will get upgraded, or neither. It's at check-in that the PNR splits, so "one of us gets upgraded" can only happen after you've checked-in and the PNR has split.

A half-way solution is to wait as long as possible to check-in. That will maximize the possibility you both get upgraded together. But when you do check in, the PNR will split.

Originally Posted by findark
The only way to avoid a PNR split is to remove the request before check-in.
There was a recent post suggesting that even if you remove the instrument, the underlying coding may still result in a split. Though I'm not 100% convinced that's really what happened.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What is the longest possible that you can wait to check in?

For example, if I check in (but do not split my reservation), go through security, call United and un check myself in what is the latest that I need to check in by to assure I am not booted from the flight but that i've given myself and my traveling partner the highest likelihood of an upgrade?

Also I seem to ALWAYS accidentally split the reservation when checking in so can someone walk me through what to select so it doesn't get split?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100% Green

For example, if I check in (but do not split my reservation), go through security, call United and un check myself in what is the latest that I need to check in by to assure I am not booted from the flight but that i've given myself and my traveling partner the highest likelihood of an upgrade?
As soon as you refuse to split your reservation, your reservation will be marked as ineligible to upgrade. It's a huge pain to get back onto the upgrade list once you do that.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also I seem to ALWAYS accidentally split the reservation when checking in so can someone walk me through what to select so it doesn't get split?
Originally Posted by jsloan
As soon as you refuse to split your reservation, your reservation will be marked as ineligible to upgrade. It's a huge pain to get back onto the upgrade list once you do that.
You will also have a devil of a time getting your companion to inherit your upgrade priority.

Re: your original question, gate control is the nominal limit, although some agents can figure out how to sort you out if you miss it but stand at the counter in person.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Also I seem to ALWAYS accidentally split the reservation when checking in so can someone walk me through what to select so it doesn't get split?
If using a supported upgrade, you have no choice when checking-in.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If using a supported upgrade, you have no choice when checking-in.
You may find that you have no choice even when you are not using a supported upgrade. I've had PNRs get split when only using CPUs (no RPU/GPU/miles) by agents who did it without asking (or if you believe the story I got from an agent this afternoon after this happened again, their "system is doing it automatically"). It's annoying when traveling with another adult, but it is outright ridiculous when traveling with a small child - nobody in their right mind is going to take the upgrade and leave them on their own in the back (as tempting as some people might find that option).

If you catch it when the agent hands you a boarding pass (too late!), their response is always that they were "helping" you. If you don't catch it then, you'll get a surprise when you can't check in online/with the app for your return because suddenly you have an unaccompanied minor on their own reservation.

Buying one-ways domestically helps, but only if that doesn't make the fare absurdly high in the market in question and can come with its own set of problems if you need to cancel/change something. It's not a remotely practical solution for international destinations.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I need some help from the experts. My wife and I are waitlisted for LAXEWR in a couple of days using a GPU. The flight is now J0 (my usual experience as a 1K). We are also waitlisted for a return flight in a week or so (also using a GPU). We don't want the PNR to be split because we want to maintain my 1K priority for the waitlist on the return. I have called UA twice in the last half hour, and both agents told me that the record won't split, and there's nothing I need to do. However, from everything I've read here, the waitlisted segment needs to be removed in order to avoid the split. Is that correct? If so, what do I do? Call a third time?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard
I need some help from the experts. My wife and I are waitlisted for LAXEWR in a couple of days using a GPU. The flight is now J0 (my usual experience as a 1K). We are also waitlisted for a return flight in a week or so (also using a GPU). We don't want the PNR to be split because we want to maintain my 1K priority for the waitlist on the return. I have called UA twice in the last half hour, and both agents told me that the record won't split, and there's nothing I need to do. However, from everything I've read here, the waitlisted segment needs to be removed in order to avoid the split. Is that correct? If so, what do I do? Call a third time?
Yes, you need to (ask an agent to) remove the GPU for your outbound before you check in. Make sure your reservation does not show any upgrade requested once that's done. Otherwise, as you anticipate, it will automatically split when you check in.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Howard
for instrument-supported UGs this is not really important. For a CPU that's a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.