FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:38 am
PushingTin

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you have RPUs applied to the outboard? or just the return?
Did you to the gatelist on the outboard? or the return?
Outbound and Inbound were separate, since I used miles out and $ in. RPUs on the return because they were cash.

Originally Posted by chermorg
So.. you're mad because exactly what is expected (a reservation split when upgrade instruments went to gate list) happened, and mad because United is following TSA regulations which only guarantee PreCheck to members of the related programs? United did everything they were supposed to. They are not just going to grant PreCheck to anyone who comes up asking for it - it is a risk based assessment not done at the airport during check in, and likely not even doable by phone agents prior. As for group 1, if your boarding pass printed with it, there is no sense for them to hassle with the others as you'll be able to take them with you. Same with Premier security.

If your family is not enrolled in PreCheck, it was not jacked" from you. You have no right to expect it - there is hint that UA may take the time and assessment to extend benefits "randomly" to companions of premiers on same reservation, but that is not a guarantee and you should not expect it. They are not entitled to PreCheck as someone enrolled in a program would be.
It is not clear that failed RPUs will split the reservation- that is a bug of the UA IT, not some 'feature'. Everytime my kids and wife travel with me they get PRE, and United breaking the PNR broke that. You can bleat all you want about it not being so, but that is contradiction to reality and what actually happens. Instruments jacking itins isn't something that is either intuitive or frankly logical. I'm on here pretty regularly, and I haven't had it happen to me or noticed a lot of threads about it. That the gate agent wasn't aware of that and communicate it is a real issue. I told her about the issue, and she said she 'fixed it', when in reality she did nothing. Interestingly, by the time I turned around, she was gone.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP lost me when he used the word "ghetto" to refer to OGG. A "ghetto" is defined as "a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups." So, which minority group is it that offends OP and caused his misery?

UA does not "grant" Pre-Check. TSA authorizes it.

If OP wants Pre-Check for his 13 YOA, he should apply for it,

OP got exactly what is to be expected and none of it was particularly awful.
13YO got it on the way out, so that shoots that theory, and my wife is over 13 also so there is something else in play there.

Nice playing the racial card. Been to OGG lately? It is a slum. Maybe that would have been a better word.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I have less sympathy for frequent travelers who know security can be a PITA and not cough up for Pre. $85 for 5 years. $1.42/mo. Come on...

Travel can already be stressful for some people. Knowing you and your fellow travelers have a KTN associated w/ their reservation lessens some of that stress.
We started down the path to getting the kids passports and all that but between a 1Ks travel schedule and a docs limited time off, there is about 1 day a month both of us can get to the passport place, and the nearest one is booked out three months. My son just turned 13, and I thought the age was higher.

What makes travel less stressful is if UA doesn't jack with stuff and not train their agents to explain it.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Not true. UA has NOTHING to do with the Pre-Check. In fact it is a marketing scheme that TSA does by giving it to you occasionally so you get used to it and will buy it when you don't. This is not something to be upset with United about

My guess is they started on the same PNR.....THEN, they wanted the best shot at upgrades so they allowed it to be split and didn't realize this may happen
I didn't allow anything. If I had known that this would happen, I wouldn't have applied the RPUs. There were only 6 F seats left two months out. RPUs on most routes for 1Ks are useless, just moves you to the head of the CU line, still behind GS, so they are pretty worthless. Hawaii flights are the only useful place I've seen them, but we wanted to max the time there and not the chances at F seats.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Again- the fact that someone has or does not have PRe check has ZERO to do with UA IT or UA period.
My kids sure as heck aren't going to get it if UA IT splits the reservation. That is above ZERO.

Originally Posted by hughw
To sum up..........
Boarding Groups are a UA controlled...There's rarely an issue with a family member going though Premier Security and/or Boarding with someone with a higher boarding group.
PreCheck is entirely controlled by TSA....It is not guaranteed for anyone but close to a sure thing with Global Entry. Kids 12 and under can go thought with a precheck parent. Everybody else needs to go though regular or Premier security.
And the super stupid is that in that 13-18 slot, the kid can't go through security by themselves - or that is what the agent told me. So OGG, with only PRE and standard security, makes you go through standard security.

Originally Posted by findark
No, if there is an instrument applied, it will split the PNR without asking.
And I never got an email or anything. What also hacks me off is that at least one of us could have gotten an F seat, but because we all didn't clear, it left us in Y and I was a third of the way down the Upgrade list. With a broken up ITIN. My kids itins disappeared off my phone too when we landed in SFO, so if I had to try to change the connection on the fly, that would have been a mess.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
this is my experience. With regular CPU eligibility, you get asked. With an instrument applied, or a mileage upgrade appkied, if it doesn’t clear in advance, the reservation automatically splits at check in. Which isn’t necessarily what I want - when Im a gold, checking in to a hub-to-hub (say, IAD-SFO) and there’s only 2 or 3 seats left, I know no one on my PNR is going to get a seat. But I still have to split anyway.
Is it at check-in or does it do it before? I checked in over my phone and I didn't get anything odd, I could check us all in at one time. If it is at check-in, that is a complete cluster fudge bar. No reason for that to happen at that point.

An email when the R space opened would have been nice, maybe take care of it if all open F< group. Maybe if there were two, I'd split us up, or wave it off before it jacks it all up.