FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:33 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PATRLR
I thought I might have seen something flash by when checking in for the outbound about upgrades and separate PNRs but I didn't really pay attention.
This is going to be your issue right here. I’d guess you added yourselves to the standby upgrade list, which requires a split. By the way, there was a time when a split wasn’t mentioned, but it still happened. They are much better at disclosing what happens now.

Originally Posted by PATRLR
One of my return legs is again very lightly loaded with lots of first class seats open. But if my wife is now on a separate PNR, then, she's not going to get on the upgrade list with me, is she? Is there a way to correct this? I'm on hold waiting for reservations now.
correct. Also likely won’t have a bag allowance, etc - something an agent can help with, but won’t happen automatically. You’ll also need to check in separately if using the app, online check in, etc. May be easiest and best to wait and check in with an agent for the return at the airport, where you can also ask that your wife be added to the upgrade list as your companion. Reservations can’t do anything at this point - once a PNR is split, it can’t be returned to its former state.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Look up auto-splitting here for the thread.
doesnt sounds like auto-splitting to me at all - sounds like OP chose themselves to be added to upgrade standby list and therefore chose to have the PNR split - just didn’t read or acknowledge the warning.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: unneeded, snarky comment removed