Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
You mean TK, and the new airport ISL.

Agree with your comments on the IST lounge -- I was able to visit once and enjoyed it. I was used to cheese cubes in a domestic UC, and it is a big difference.

Last edited by Taoyuan; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:33 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Here's a thread for award bookings on Ethiopian: Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences
neither I nor anyone in my family will ever fly Ethiopian again. UA even awarded me some comp miles after I complained about horrible experience (was connecting to UA on ET).

Personally i I would wait - try to find something to Europe on LH and then maybe connect to SAA or another *A carrier. I’d even fly AC which is near the bottom of my list. But never ever Ethiopian. Just my 2 cents from someone who has been to Africa a few times.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo

neither I nor anyone in my family will ever fly Ethiopian again. UA even awarded me some comp miles after I complained about horrible experience (was connecting to UA on ET).

Personally i I would wait - try to find something to Europe on LH and then maybe connect to SAA or another *A carrier. I’d even fly AC which is near the bottom of my list. But never ever Ethiopian. Just my 2 cents from someone who has been to Africa a few times.
Out of curiosity, what went wrong with your flight?

ET certainly isn't the best outfit out there, but I've had perfectly acceptable experiences in my 50+ flights with them..
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:49 am

Trying to book ORD-DXB biz class with ff miles

I have a question and would like your opinion please. We are with United and want to book biz class next January or February from ORD-DXB. Its too soon to book that now. I am finding some flights for November but for December and January (they only go out to Jan. 6th) its very limited or not available so my question is do you think these limitations are due to Xmas and NY holidays and do you think things will open up for Next Jan. and Feb. as we are past the holiday season? Any input appreciated.
Thank you!
Larry.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: moved to relevant thread
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
I have a question and would like your opinion please. We are with United and want to book biz class next January or February from ORD-DXB. Its too soon to book that now. I am finding some flights for November but for December and January (they only go out to Jan. 6th) its very limited or not available so my question is do you think these limitations are due to Xmas and NY holidays and do you think things will open up for Next Jan. and Feb. as we are past the holiday season? Any input appreciated.
Thank you!
Larry.
If you fly low season your chances are pretty good IME. Assume you are planning via FRA/ZRH?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Jan and Feb 2020 are not yet bookable, While it varies between airlines, UA is generally a max of 330 days / 11 months in advance
What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?
This is true for cash tickets and award tickets.

However, it does not mean award tickets will be available at that point, the same is true for cash tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
If you fly low season your chances are pretty good IME. Assume you are planning via FRA/ZRH?
I'm not sure about the route. I will take what is available as long as its acceptable. There is one flight on Turkish where you have to change airports. That I don't want to do.
What I do is put in dates and RT destinations and then search for award travel then hope I can get something reasonable. BTW i''m trying for saver awards so perhaps the pickings are slimmer?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Jan and Feb 2020 are not yet bookable, While it varies between airlines, UA is generally a max of 330 days / 11 months in advance
What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?
This is true for cash tickets and award tickets.

However, it does not mean award tickets will be available at that point, the same is true for cash tickets.
Thank you. I know its 330 days out. I was wondering if the scarcity I see is due to the times, i.e. over the holidays. Thats why I mentioned there are more options in November. I'm hoping things will open up by February though I think thats still high season as the weather in Dubai is ok then vs. the summer when its scorching.
Thank you.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:27 pm

We are planning a trip at the end of May to Italy - arriving in Rome departing in Venice. There are currently no saver awards in Business or Economy. This is much later than we would normally book a trip so I was wondering if anyone has experience looking for frequent fliers 3.5 months before departure.

If we do have to buy tickets can anyone recommend how early we should look to get the best fares?

Thank you!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KSpouse
We are planning a trip at the end of May to Italy - arriving in Rome departing in Venice. There are currently no saver awards in Business or Economy. This is much later than we would normally book a trip so I was wondering if anyone has experience looking for frequent fliers 3.5 months before departure.

If we do have to buy tickets can anyone recommend how early we should look to get the best fares?
UA (and other partners) will release inventory if it appears that they're not going to be able to sell them. That can happen at any time -- if the flights don't sell well, UA will typically open space. It's common to see saver award space -- especially economy -- on the day of departure for flights that have more than a handful of empty seats. Check regularly.

Based on your screen name, I assume that you're booking the awards from an account with UA status, which will give you the broadest possible availability.

As for paid fares, this is about the time I would start looking. The best prices are generally found somewhere between 100 days and 2 weeks before departure. There's no single best time to buy airfare; if there were, the airlines would raise prices on that day so it wouldn't be the best anymore. . I'd check every few days, and I'd specifically be keeping an eye on inventory, not just the fares. The more seats they have in the discount fare buckets, the better the chances are that they will eventually publish a sale fare and/or open up award inventory.

When you say there are "no" seats -- are you including connecting itineraries? Are you flying from a small airport with once-daily service? Are you not willing to consider partner flights? Do you have any flexibility on dates? As one example, I see 30K availability every day in late May from AUS-FCO, although admittedly some of the routes are fairly inconvenient.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA (and other partners) will release inventory if it appears that they're not going to be able to sell them. That can happen at any time -- if the flights don't sell well, UA will typically open space. It's common to see saver award space -- especially economy -- on the day of departure for flights that have more than a handful of empty seats. Check regularly.

Based on your screen name, I assume that you're booking the awards from an account with UA status, which will give you the broadest possible availability.

As for paid fares, this is about the time I would start looking. The best prices are generally found somewhere between 100 days and 2 weeks before departure. There's no single best time to buy airfare; if there were, the airlines would raise prices on that day so it wouldn't be the best anymore. . I'd check every few days, and I'd specifically be keeping an eye on inventory, not just the fares. The more seats they have in the discount fare buckets, the better the chances are that they will eventually publish a sale fare and/or open up award inventory.

When you say there are "no" seats -- are you including connecting itineraries? Are you flying from a small airport with once-daily service? Are you not willing to consider partner flights? Do you have any flexibility on dates? As one example, I see 30K availability every day in late May from AUS-FCO, although admittedly some of the routes are fairly inconvenient.
Thank you very much!!! I had initially done my search for business class and forgot to change the calendar to economy to see alternate dates. I do see some options there (from LAX) so I will go through them more closely.

Thank you also for the info on watching the fare buckets. I'm currently looking into how to see the buckets for both this flight and future options.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KSpouse
Thank you very much!!! I had initially done my search for business class and forgot to change the calendar to economy to see alternate dates. I do see some options there (from LAX) so I will go through them more closely.

Thank you also for the info on watching the fare buckets. I'm currently looking into how to see the buckets for both this flight and future options.
Happy to help. :-)

For the inventory buckets, you want Expert Mode. Here's a board thread about it: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html . The first post in the thread includes a link to the instructions on how to turn it on.

Note that when you're trying to figure out information on one particular flight, you need to do a paid ticket search just for that flight. So, if you're trying to figure out how much inventory there is on the EWR-FCO flight, you want to do a search just for EWR-FCO, even though that's not how you'd actually purchase it. Expert Mode doesn't work on award searches, and you'll get different values if you search from origin to destination (e.g., LAX to FCO) than you'll get if you search leg by leg.

Good luck!

PS: The award calendar often has false negatives. You should definitely click on a day even if it says "not available." Click the column headers to sort any available awards to the top. Also, make sure that you're logged in with the account you're going to use. Again, I'm assuming that account has status -- if so, you may get considerably more availability that you won't see if you're logged out.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Happy to help. :-)

For the inventory buckets, you want Expert Mode. Here's a board thread about it: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html . The first post in the thread includes a link to the instructions on how to turn it on.

Note that when you're trying to figure out information on one particular flight, you need to do a paid ticket search just for that flight. So, if you're trying to figure out how much inventory there is on the EWR-FCO flight, you want to do a search just for EWR-FCO, even though that's not how you'd actually purchase it. Expert Mode doesn't work on award searches, and you'll get different values if you search from origin to destination (e.g., LAX to FCO) than you'll get if you search leg by leg.

Good luck!

PS: The award calendar often has false negatives. You should definitely click on a day even if it says "not available." Click the column headers to sort any available awards to the top. Also, make sure that you're logged in with the account you're going to use. Again, I'm assuming that account has status -- if so, you may get considerably more availability that you won't see if you're logged out.
Thank you again for all the helpful info! I'm all setup and am able see the buckets now. I really appreciate the detailed info and will be putting it to good use :-)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1K and no Saver Award 1-3 months in future?!

I'm a recent convert from AC to UA. As a new 1K I was expecting liberal access to Saver Awards. I'm trying to book flight YVR-IAH NON-STOP round trip (albiet Mon-Thurs) and no Saver Awards 1-3 months out? Are you kidding me? I thought there was supposed to be some kind of benefit as 1K to make saver awards available in the reasonable near future. Are my expectations misguided? What a disappointment with UA.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you logged in? I see abundant economy saver awards. With occasional exceptions, domestic saver business/first effectively doesn't exist on UA anymore. Especially on Airbus routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.