Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA flights will usually be available to book flight 330 or more days in advance. It has on occasion been 333 days or more (336?) but many times the earlier "listing" of flights are not truly bookable.

However, with these early listings, not all inventory is immediately available.
Many times it is just expensive paid fares. There is no set date or noticeable pattern for when discount fares or awards are available. Maybe early, may not.

Partner award availability has even greater uncertainty. Depending on the partner, it may be early or may be much, much later. There are some partner-specific patterns (especially for premium cabin).

Related thread
UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Booking outbound UA award 330 days out when return is more than 330 days

Older thread Strategy/Questions about booking an award travel at the 330-day mark.
Print Wikipost

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist

For the reason everyone knows I want to book award flights using mileage plus. However online I can only see flights to the end of the year. Is that possbile to book more than that by phone?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zig2
online I can only see flights to the end of the year. Is that possbile to book more than that by phone?
No, 331 days is the limit for Mileage Plus.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, 331 days is the limit for Mileage Plus.
and the limit for paid tickets also.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:24 am

Any work around for "flights not loaded yet"

I am trying to find award flights for December to south asia, however the latest return date available today is 12/24 (i'm trying to stay until the 30th of jan 1/2/3). When I called I was told those flights just aren't loaded yet. Any work around or do I just have to book a return after the deval?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitesol
I am trying to find award flights for December to south asia, however the latest return date available today is 12/24 (i'm trying to stay until the 30th of jan 1/2/3). When I called I was told those flights just aren't loaded yet. Any work around or do I just have to book a return after the deval?
330/331 day out is the limit. Back an earlier date and than change the preferred date once it becomes available. As long as it is only a date change, it seems there will be no repricing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
330/331 day out is the limit. Back an earlier date and than change the preferred date once it becomes available. As long as it is only a date change, it seems there will be no repricing.
Thats a great idea I didn't think about, right now 330 days I can see flights up until jan 1 2015 however there isn't a return from this airport from 12/25 and on.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:21 am

337 days out

Currently today (Jan 29, 2014) I can book flights, award or revenue, up to Jan 1, 2015. That's 337 days out.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Currently today (Jan 29, 2014) I can book flights, award or revenue, up to Jan 1, 2015. That's 337 days out.
Indeed, and then seat selection at 330 days out.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:28 am

Anybody know the context/reason for these limits?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Can you actually book them, or just see them? People have reported seeing flights further out than United will allow you to book.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
The reasons are technical - many backend systems only use month-day format.

Since there are a number of reasons an agent or other system may need to go back in time up to a month, the system needs to have only one of each day of the year active at any given time. It was generally agreed upon at some point that 330 days of future schedule and 30 days of past schedule was the best way to do this. This is pretty standard across every airline that uses a widely-distributed CRS or GDS-based system to manage their inventory.

Note that this limitation is on the Schedule/Availability side of the CRS. The Reservations/PNR's are obviously a lot more flexible and can be over a year old. This is because they have a unique way to access them (PNR or Ticket#). However, there's no the other way to specify UA887 on January 17 other than "UA887JAN17"
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by malgudi
Anybody know the context/reason for these limits?
Airlines pick how far out they want to list flights/inventory. Some are 330, but others are 360 or 300 or sometimes even less (think WN's anti-GDS stance). I think all of them make sense, and I'm not sure your question. Are you asking why they'd pick numbers that resemble the length of a year? I think it should be clear that airlines don't want to sell tickets a year in advance--imagine booking a ticket for 370 days out and then showing up a year early. Beyond that, I'd guess that airlines think that 300 or 330 days out (which roughly is 10-11 months) are plenty far enough in advance to release tickets.

Edit--Zappity explained the technical side in a way I didn't attempt to. Assuming new technology everywhere and that they could implement this beyond a year, I just don't see motivation for them to change. Only those of us in the MR and FF ticket world ever really think much about wanting to book something nearing a year in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by crnk
Only those of us in the MR and FF ticket world ever really think much about wanting to book something nearing a year in advance.
Not true. Most people are convinced that you can only get the best fares and awards by booking as far as possible in advance. People taking a "once in a lifetime" trip also plan well in advance.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:41 pm

Zappity explained it well ... that was what I was looking for ^

Originally Posted by crnk
Airlines pick how far out they want to list flights/inventory. Some are 330, but others are 360 or 300 or sometimes even less (think WN's anti-GDS stance). I think all of them make sense, and I'm not sure your question. Are you asking why they'd pick numbers that resemble the length of a year? I think it should be clear that airlines don't want to sell tickets a year in advance--imagine booking a ticket for 370 days out and then showing up a year early. Beyond that, I'd guess that airlines think that 300 or 330 days out (which roughly is 10-11 months) are plenty far enough in advance to release tickets.

Edit--Zappity explained the technical side in a way I didn't attempt to. Assuming new technology everywhere and that they could implement this beyond a year, I just don't see motivation for them to change. Only those of us in the MR and FF ticket world ever really think much about wanting to book something nearing a year in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:06 am

Yes

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Can you actually book them, or just see them? People have reported seeing flights further out than United will allow you to book.
Yes, I have been able to change award tickets to 337 days out. Sometimes I can do that on-line, sometimes I have to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.