Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by distrips
I'm traveling in October and it looks like only 2 and 5 seats respectively are sold out of the 39. That said, they only have Business everyday not business saver available. Is there a magical time they open the saver seats? I can see saver rates for this week and they are about a 1/3 of the miles!
Best times to secure saver awards are:

1) when they are first released (I think United first releases saver awards 337 days out), so there might have been saver awards back in November 2018 for your travel dates.
2) closer to departure, which is why you are seeing more awards being released for upcoming departure dates.

As far as if UA decides to release more awards, hard to speculate. That said, with UA moving to dynamic awards (no fixed charts), there is no need to worry about saver anymore...

Good luck!
Old May 13, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
when they are first released (I think United first releases saver awards 337 days out), so there might have been saver awards back in November 2018 for your travel dates.
This is no longer generally true -- in fact, UA now rarely, if ever, releases saver awards at T-330, and especially not Saver Business.

As far as if UA decides to release more awards, hard to speculate. That said, with UA moving to dynamic awards (no fixed charts), there is no need to worry about saver anymore...
Well, it still applies to travel in October. And even post 11/15, there may still be a concept of saver inventory vs everyday inventory. (That concept definitely still exists for those flights as-of today).
Old May 13, 2019, 5:38 am

Thank you

Best times to secure saver awards are:

1) when they are first released (I think United first releases saver awards 337 days out), so there might have been saver awards back in November 2018 for your travel dates.
2) closer to departure, which is why you are seeing more awards being released for upcoming departure dates.

Good luck!
I guess I'll come back and ask my question again soon. I've been tracking these for weeks no movement. Between last night and this morning the return flight dropped by 20%. Go figure! Thanks for the good juju

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 13, 2019 at 10:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 13, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would say these days, the most common time by far for the first I space available on a UA metal flight is something like 7 days before departure.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:33 pm

I haven't booked a reward flight in a while, looking to fly to Europe end of June and return mid July. Was hoping for Lufthansa biz saver, would be fine with sas biz also, but right now it seems slim pickings compared to trying to book in previous years. Have they scaled back available redeemable tickets? Any tips on getting the seats I want or odds are selection wont' improve?
Old May 24, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by R2134
I haven't booked a reward flight in a while, looking to fly to Europe end of June and return mid July. Was hoping for Lufthansa biz saver, would be fine with sas biz also, but right now it seems slim pickings compared to trying to book in previous years. ....
In the best of years, summer Saver Bussiness to Europe would be pretty slim at the end of May and this year is not the best of years. So if you find anything, grab it. And you will need to be very, very flexibility on dates and routes -- and still, you may be unsuccessful

Related threadTrying to book a Business Saver ticket to Europe
Old May 24, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This really needs to be labeled as a “Pre-2019 devaluation” thread as I expect we are already seeing radically higher pricing for all flights after November 2019. Query whether the term saver award even makes sense now that award charts are gone.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
As for award tickets, the way to book in the future is to book as far in advance as possible for the best deals. If there is excess inventory close-in to departure, you may be able to get miles refunded if the deep discount saver awards show up close-in.
FWIW, I just had success doing this ~30 minutes ago. Back in March I booked the iapetus jrs. LAX-LHR on June 11 for 55K each, having just missed out on the 30K award inventory by ~1 day (). I looked again today and found that at least two more seats in the 30K award inventory had opened up. So I called UA and got 50K miles refunded.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iapetus
FWIW, I just had success doing this ~30 minutes ago. Back in March I booked the iapetus jrs. LAX-LHR on June 11 for 55K each, having just missed out on the 30K award inventory by ~1 day (). I looked again today and found that at least two more seats in the 30K award inventory had opened up. So I called UA and got 50K miles refunded.
Can you look up the award inventory? I used to find 35k TACL MOST of the time, now it seems MOST is 75k. Not to mention crap like 55k to fly to say Denver!!!! makes the accumulation of miles almost useless, that's why I now put all my spend on my Hilton card instead of Explorer.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:15 am

No Star Alliance Business Class availability

Anyone know what has been going on with *A business class availability last few weeks. Cannot find anything (even in coach) on any *A partner using UA miles (or Aeroplan). Is there an IT problem or just no more availability? Interested to hear if anyone has any insight.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I see lots of avaliability on the routes I travel. It all depends when and where you're traveling.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:19 am

There is basically nothing available (even last minute the day before) from anywhere east coast to a hub in Europe. Sometimes I see LH release 1st class an hour before a departure which is impossible for me to do obviously. No economy either so I am thinking there is an IT issue, but not sure.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by frugaltraveler10012
There is basically nothing available (even last minute the day before) from anywhere east coast to a hub in Europe.
That makes perfect sense to me. This is high season to Europe, and planes everywhere are full. Definitely not an IT issue.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That makes perfect sense to me. This is high season to Europe, and planes everywhere are full. Definitely not an IT issue.
Ok it's just I have done the same trip the last 3 years around this exact time for two people and never had an issue with LX/LH availability so my first hunch was IT issue.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:20 am
FTA

Same with some asian routes for July and August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.