Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 747FC
Is that a 100% increase in rate?
Yes.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes.
That is a dead canary you just saw.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Any experience on booking a LH Miles&More award Ticket and using 1K status to receive free Eco+ seats?

Edit: Overlooked post #65 where it's said to be possible - so I guess it's solved already.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
What's up with j/R inventory on this IAD-BRU flight?

Inventory has been similar for a couple weeks on (at least) the IAD-BRU flight for 7/14. J2 RN9, but the seat map has about 9 empty J seats (yeah yeah seat map does not equal inventory) but only 4 empty R seats.

Seems like United is overselling their PP cabin and underselling their J...?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
Inventory has been similar for a couple weeks on (at least) the IAD-BRU flight for 7/14. J2 RN9, but the seat map has about 9 empty J seats (yeah yeah seat map does not equal inventory) but only 4 empty R seats.

Seems like United is overselling their PP cabin and underselling their J...?
Were you checking the inventory with a connecting flight? I see 9 in every fare class.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K
United Mileage Plus Silver & Air Canada S100K (SA Gold) here. Can I get complimentary Economy Plus seat if I charge the miles to AC?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sskl1998
Can I get complimentary Economy Plus seat if I charge the miles to AC?
Your MP number must be on the record to get E+ at check-in. If you change your number to AC after that, you may or may not lose the E+ seat.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
One-Way: Germany / Scandinavia to SFO

My girlfriend and I booked a one-way into CPH for a NYE vacation, and have yet to book a return flight home. Ideally we would fly from CPH through FRA, back to SFO on Sunday, January 5th, but at this point there is no saver award availability through UA.com. That said, we can be flexible with when we leave, and where we leave from (Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Frankfurt, Munich, etc...) Is the below strategy a recipe for disaster?

I currently have seat alerts set on ExpertFlyer for non-stop routes like FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO, CPH-SFO, and ZRH-SFO, looking for I and O availability on January 4th and 5th. Obviously if a saver fare comes available between now and then, I'll book it. But I'm planning on that not happening anytime soon, and instead planning on booking sometime within seven (7) days of January 5th. Taking advantage of my 1K status, I can book / cancel / change award flights up to T-24. And my dummy bookings for FRA / MUC-SFO for July 15-22 (as well as in weeks past) indicate that LH will likely have O availability at least to BOS, DEN, ORD or IAD.

Is waiting until we're in Europe and within seven days of our planned return a dumb idea? Or is it likely that we'll find some saver awards for premium TATL tickets, similar to the availability I see today.

Last edited by SFOrunner; Jul 14, 2019 at 5:46 pm Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I currently have seat alerts set on ExpertFlyer for non-stop routes like FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO, CPH-SFO, and ZRH-SFO, looking for I and O availability on January 4th and 5th. Obviously if a saver fare comes available between now and then, I'll book it. But I'm planning on that not happening anytime soon, and instead planning on booking sometime within seven (7) days of January 5th. Taking advantage of my 1K status, I can book / cancel / change award flights up to T-24. And my dummy bookings for FRA / MUC-SFO for July 15-22 (as well as in weeks past) indicate that LH will likely have O availability at least to BOS, DEN, ORD or IAD.

Is waiting until we're in Europe and within seven days of our planned return a dumb idea? Or is it likely that we'll find some saver awards for premium TATL tickets, similar to the availability I see today.
How bad is it if you have to shell out for Standard Awards? Do you have enough miles? Are you going into credit card debt to cover the difference? Can you fly on Tuesday the 7th instead?

This is a gamble that will probably pay out in your favor (i.e. you should be fine), but I wouldn't do it unless you can accept the risk of needing to go with a backup plan.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you specifically have to travel on the 4th or 5th -- it's probably not a great idea. You might find something -- maybe O space on LH -- but, then again, you might not. Weekends are tough, and the weekend after a holiday means that you're competing not only with passengers who were willing to pay for business class for their vacation, but also business travelers who are starting out the work year by traveling to the US.

At a minimum, I'd have a solid plan B ready to go.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by findark
How bad is it if you have to shell out for Standard Awards? Do you have enough miles? Are you going into credit card debt to cover the difference? Can you fly on Tuesday the 7th instead?

This is a gamble that will probably pay out in your favor (i.e. you should be fine), but I wouldn't do it unless you can accept the risk of needing to go with a backup plan.
Plenty of miles to cover two one-way standard awards home, either in Y or J. And yes, we can be flexible with dates if absolutely necessary.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Plenty of miles to cover two one-way standard awards home, either in Y or J. And yes, we can be flexible with dates if absolutely necessary.
As long as the Standard Award route is an acceptable backup, I think the odds are pretty strongly in your favor. I'd go for it and enjoy the spontaneity! As a 1K you could also just book a Standard Award now and hold it until you get the better option.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you specifically have to travel on the 4th or 5th -- it's probably not a great idea. You might find something -- maybe O space on LH -- but, then again, you might not. Weekends are tough, and the weekend after a holiday means that you're competing not only with passengers who were willing to pay for business class for their vacation, but also business travelers who are starting out the work year by traveling to the US.

At a minimum, I'd have a solid plan B ready to go.
Agree. A 1K colleague just tried this for flights around Memorial Day weekend. he actually changed flights to one with more open seats but nothing opened up for his GPU and he flew back in coach. Now admittedly you have more options with saver awards as you can cancel and rebook on a partner. But no guarantees particularly with the new MP "no award chart" program - we don't know how that will play out with partners going forward. I am sure there will be a standard award of some sort that will have space but who knows how many miles that will cost.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree. A 1K colleague just tried this for flights around Memorial Day weekend. he actually changed flights to one with more open seats but nothing opened up for his GPU and he flew back in coach. Now admittedly you have more options with saver awards as you can cancel and rebook on a partner. But no guarantees particularly with the new MP "no award chart" program - we don't know how that will play out with partners going forward. I am sure there will be a standard award of some sort that will have space but who knows how many miles that will cost.
I am banking heavily on not flying UA metal across the pond - specifically because the UA awards from FRA-SFO are close to 240,000 miles with the new MP devaluation. Fortunately, SAS, Swiss and LH have options in the 60-70k range.

Also - How was your colleague using his GPU on his award travel?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am banking heavily on not flying UA metal across the pond - specifically because the UA awards from FRA-SFO are close to 240,000 miles with the new MP devaluation. Fortunately, SAS, Swiss and LH have options in the 60-70k range.

Also - How was your colleague using his GPU on his award travel?
He didn't - it was a revenue ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.